Options

Landlord requires me to vacate for a day

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I'm another who doesn't see the big issue here.

All houses require maintenance, whether you own them or rent them.

I don't think the housing association in this instance is being unreasonable. they've given you plenty of notice by the sounds of things to make alternative plans and are trying to keep disruption to a minimum.

Can I ask if you owned the property and had to have the asbestos removed, what would you do then? insist the workmen came at night? Or would your dad swap shifts / take holiday to make sure they could carry out the work?

it's exactly the same situation, except that you're not having to pay for or organise it.

I would assume (tight fisted as most housing assoc are) that the works are essential, therefore long term they're for your benefit.
  • Options
    nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    To those who are belittling the issue here:

Swap shifts for one day?
    That would mean taking 24 hours off, but either tagging the 12hour shift onto either the previous or next shift meaning being at work for 24 hours!
    It would also mean the problem of the employer allowing the worker to do the substitute shift, and arranging cover for that missed. Not workable.
    Or take a day's holiday?
    Again the employer would have to arrange cover, possibly at short notice.

Sleep at a colleagues?
    A sensible suggestion. I've worked nightshift for over three years, but my life revolves around my family not my work colleagues. I'm certainly not close enough to any of them to be able to foist myself on their households for a sleep.

Sleep in a car or have a short sleep?
    I don't believe a car would allow an appropriate level of sleep. Temperature, light, noise, possibly even being woken by the police.
    Depends on the nature of the job, alertness might be required that having a short sleep then being awake from 7.30 through to 3.30 (20 hours) would not be wise.

If the home was occupier-owned and they decided to have the work done, they could have arranged it with the contractor for a date when the family are on day shift or a rest day, or properly arrange work cover for a holiday. That the HA is arranging the work imposes the date on the tenants.

The best suggestion would be another family member's home if one is available, or a caravan if you know someone who would be willing to let you use it.

If it does fall to chargeable accommodation, then yes I believe the HA should fund it.
    They have commissioned the maintenance. You have paid them to house you for a period - they are temporarily removing that and should be providing the alternative.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    To those who are belittling the issue here:

Swap shifts for one day?
    That would mean taking 24 hours off, but either tagging the 12hour shift onto either the previous or next shift meaning being at work for 24 hours!
    It would also mean the problem of the employer allowing the worker to do the substitute shift, and arranging cover for that missed. Not workable.
    Or take a day's holiday?
    Again the employer would have to arrange cover, possibly at short notice.

Sleep at a colleagues?
    A sensible suggestion. I've worked nightshift for over three years, but my life revolves around my family not my work colleagues. I'm certainly not close enough to any of them to be able to foist myself on their households for a sleep.

Sleep in a car or have a short sleep?
    I don't believe a car would allow an appropriate level of sleep. Temperature, light, noise, possibly even being woken by the police.
    Depends on the nature of the job, alertness might be required that having a short sleep then being awake from 7.30 through to 3.30 (20 hours) would not be wise.

If the home was occupier-owned and they decided to have the work done, they could have arranged it with the contractor for a date when the family are on day shift or a rest day, or properly arrange work cover for a holiday. That the HA is arranging the work imposes the date on the tenants.

The best suggestion would be another family member's home if one is available, or a caravan if you know someone who would be willing to let you use it.

If it does fall to chargeable accommodation, then yes I believe the HA should fund it.
    They have commissioned the maintenance. You have paid them to house you for a period - they are temporarily removing that and should be providing the alternative.

If it were overnight then maybe, but not for daytime hours. I'm sure OP and his dad must sometimes be out for a day. Its not unusual.
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks nvingo - for bringing some sense to this.

It may not seem a big deal, and really it isnt. However the HA has not considered its residences and their individual circumstances / situations. I have had a chat with two elderly neighbours today, 1 of which i get her weekly shopping each week and shes all in a muddle and a flap (if you know what I mean).

In regards to my comment on "I dont believe he should pay" I was refering to my Dad and alternative accomodation for a night or 2. I am not refering to others paying ie taxpayers. We do not received HB. We are living on the bones of our asses as it is, therefore I believe the HA should pay for this inconvienience (cant spell it)

Besides, I am no longer considering just my dad - I have 2 elderly ladies in my block - whos circumstances also hasnt been taken into account or provisions made on their behalf.

Thank you all for responding
    Cheers
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had to pack up and move out for six weeks last year while building works went on. It was enormously inconvenient and stressful. You should be able to cope for one day, and its ridiculous that you have even mentioned being compensated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FilliA wrote: »
    We had to pack up and move out for six weeks last year while building works went on. It was enormously inconvenient and stressful. You should be able to cope for one day, and its ridiculous that you have even mentioned being compensated.

So we are supposed to pay rent on the HA flat, and due to no fault of our own, pay for accommodation at another?

Interesting.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quinnicus wrote: »
    Thank you JumpTheShark - probably what ill have to do. Was looking for ammo to back it up, but if there isnt any - then i cant :)

Most appreciated.
    Where is the asbestos in relation to your flat?

I ask because it maybe possible that those times are a standard quote--a catch all and may not be necessary for all tenants.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any chance someone can give me some pointers on this and where to look before I contact them?

Does your tenancy agreement say anything relevant?

In general I think this is the sort of risk that you have to accept if you choose to work shifts, but I would hope that a social landlord would work out something reasonable - for example, are they actually needing to spend the full day in your property, or can they maybe agree to get it all done within a few hours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Where is the asbestos in relation to your flat?

I ask because it maybe possible that those times are a standard quote--a catch all and may not be necessary for all tenants.

Thats a good question - and I dont know at this stage - thats a tomorrow question for the housing associaton.

Im up 2 flights of stairs - no lift - so if its in a stair well, Could we just stay in our property and be kinda locked in the for day (suits me fine) and when my dad goes to work, just put on a face mask or something.

Question for tomorrow :)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than kick up a fuss over essential maintenance which could save your life in the event of a fire why don't you treat this as a family day... Every one use up a days vacation and visit somewhere new for the day.

You registered here 5 years ago - and this is your first post?

It's not even right. How would asbestos removal 'save his life in the event of a fire'? :confused:
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the very least I'd say that the HA should provide somewhere else for OP to go to between 8am and 6pm
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Im up 2 flights of stairs - no lift - so if its in a stair well, Could we just stay in our property and be kinda locked in the for day (suits me fine) and when my dad goes to work, just put on a face mask or something.

If it's asbestos there's no way they would let you do anything like this, walking through with a mask will then contaminate everywhere you go afterwards as traces will be on your clothing.

If it's planned work there must have been plenty of notice, just take the opportunity to spend time together and visit a museum or gallery. Make a packed lunch (the idea of compensation for food is absurd).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    who do you want to pay? the tax payer right? everyone else?

you might not think that your father should have to pay. but i'm 100% certain i shouldn't have to .

God flagpole, stick to the politics forum. Advice clearly isnt for you.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It may not seem a big deal, and really it isnt. However the HA has not considered its residences and their individual circumstances / situations. I have had a chat with two elderly neighbours today, 1 of which i get her weekly shopping each week and shes all in a muddle and a flap (if you know what I mean).

In regards to my comment on "I dont believe he should pay" I was refering to my Dad and alternative accomodation for a night or 2. I am not refering to others paying ie taxpayers. We do not received HB. We are living on the bones of our asses as it is, therefore I believe the HA should pay for this inconvienience (cant spell it)

Besides, I am no longer considering just my dad - I have 2 elderly ladies in my block - whos circumstances also hasnt been taken into account or provisions made on their behalf.

Cheers

If they were removing asbestos from my house, I would go as far away as possible.
    Its summer time get out in the fresh air and enjoy it. Its one day that's all. as for food expenses, make up a picnic, you would have to get food if you were at home. Take your elderly friends with you, they would probably like to go out somewhere.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You registered here 5 years ago - and this is your first post?

It's not even right. How would asbestos removal 'save his life in the event of a fire'? :confused:

It wouldn't. Asbestos was used for fireproofing buildings.

The removing of asbestos will decrease the chances of getting cancer and lung disease
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    If they were removing asbestos from my house, I would go as far away as possible.
    Its summer time get out in the fresh air and enjoy it. Its one day that's all. as for food expenses, make up a picnic, you would have to get food if you were at home. Take your elderly friends with you, they would probably like to go out somewhere.

The more I think about it, the more some of you guys are right - Get my dad to take a day of work (holiday) - get some sleep the night/day before - then bugger off to the coast for the day !!!

LOL

Still got the 2 neighbours to sort out, but could be one problem solved !:D

EDIT : Would have to be 2 days off work though - Ill put it past my dad tomorrow depending if he has planned his holidays yet.
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheers

Out of interest, where do you think HA get their money from? - they are mostly self financing from rental income. If they had to compensate every tenant who was inconvenienced due to essential repairs then rents would be even higher than they are at the moment. There is not a pot of money to pay for alternative accommodation and to take everyone's personal situations into account.

Edit: I can see you have decided on an "awayday" have fun - and you come back to a safer home!
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I think about it, the more some of you guys are right - Get my dad to take a day of work (holiday) - get some sleep the night/day before - then bugger off to the coast for the day !!!

LOL

Still got the 2 neighbours to sort out, but could be one problem solved !:D

That's a great idea! I'm sure you will have a lovely day out. Dad could always have a snooze on the beach after a picnic :)

Regarding the elderly neighbours, why not get in touch with Age concern in your area - I'm sure there would be plenty of day centres they could go to (My gran used to go to one all the time)

Or you could always offer to take them with you - if they genuinely have nowhere else to go or any family that could accommodate them, that would be a lovely gesture.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quinnicus,

As you are keen on compensation do I take it you will be compensating those who have offered advice in this thread ?

(oh and the reason why some of the advice may have been a little "off" is you didn't make the situation very clear in your opening post, just a thought)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    That's a great idea! I'm sure you will have a lovely day out. Dad could always have a snooze on the beach after a picnic :)

Regarding the elderly neighbours, why not get in touch with Age concern in your area - I'm sure there would be plenty of day centres they could go to (My gran used to go to one all the time)

Or you could always offer to take them with you - if they genuinely have nowhere else to go or any family that could accommodate them, that would be a lovely gesture.

Car would be too cramped - small car - and would do my head in .... "in my day...." :)

Some type of activities for the would be good - My Nan loved Aged Concern (once she got used to it that is)

Cheers
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Car would be too cramped - small car - and would do my head in .... "in my day...." :)

Some type of activities for the would be good - My Nan loved Aged Concern (once she got used to it that is)

Cheers

:D hahah i know what you mean - being neighbourly is one thing, saddling yourself with 2 old ladies and a tired Dad for a relaxing family day out is probably another.

Good luck, hope you manage to sort it. Check with your local library or community centre I'm sure you can sort the old dears out and that would be very neighbourly of you. :)
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats a good question - and I dont know at this stage - thats a tomorrow question for the housing associaton.

Question for tomorrow :)
    Hi quinnicus,

My Dad died as a direct result of working with asbestos in his early years, it an exceptionally unpleasant way to die.

Believe you me you will have a lot more to complain about should it ever turn out any you or your family have been affected by living with it,---and nothing was done.

Many people would be horrified to know how much of it is still in old buildings, our kids schools and the bad state some of it is in.

Asbestos is dangerous to heath but only in its dust/ fibre form and if your breathing it in, other then that living with it is quite safe.

But asbestos regardless of condition should always be removed as of when.

My own opinion is you shouldn't be seeking/ asking for compensation but I do understand the inconvenience to yourselves.

18 months ago 56 residents were asked to vacate their homes for a day while asbestos removal took place.

The removal company in conjunction with their management sent a letter to all, asking residents to vacate by 8.30am and not to return until 6pm,---it caused uproar.

The management knew no better, they took a fall back position, "we are following the advise of our contractors"
    fair enough.

In the above instance the offending asbestos was a 4 x 4 meter cupboard door, lined with it located in the building's basement.

56 residents were being asked to shift for the day, totally unnecessary for the job in question.

4 hinges, some wrap, the job done in an hour and two flats vacated for the day.

Asbestos can be dangerous but I do feel removal firms love the drama of it all, the sucking in of cheeks, the dressing up.

And HAs and LAs just fall in without really asking how much inconvenience is really necessary.

Personally before speaking to your HA, find out the removal firm, speak to them, explain to them, if they aren't to concerned you being in I wouldn't even bother to speak to your HA, just stay in.

Know who you are talking to, don't put yourself in a position where you can be accused of delaying things.

But remember asbestos in an unstable state is dangerous and must be removed, asbestos in a stable state is always best removed.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    I thought that this was an advice sub-forum - is this not the case? How is your reply helpful in anyway shape of form?

I see advice there.

• Dad gets a B&B
    • Stay with a friend
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refuse to leave. I doubt if they can force you. Are they doing stuff in your flat, or just the common areas?
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    Refuse to leave. I doubt if they can force you. Are they doing stuff in your flat, or just the common areas?

Yeah refuse to leave and then they can't remove the asbestos which quite obviously needs removing. Great idea that is.