Options

Worst Winner? (In Terms of Dance Ability)

Comments

• Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Chris Hollins
    Moonbean wrote: »
    How was Tom a controversial winner? He was great!

Oh don't get me wrong, I loved Tom, he's one of my favourite ever winners and Camilla is my favourite ever pro, but there was a lot of disgust after semi final gate and I still see hate for it in various ol places.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Chris Hollins
    Moonbean wrote: »
    How was Tom a controversial winner? He was great!

votegate (part of the reason that I left Strictly for a few years)
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    pothuthic wrote: »
    I thought Tom was the most controversial winner yet he has no votes :p

I think most people took issue with his personality, rather than his dancing ability! (Though not me! I loved him and Camilla, and voted for them with actual money, before this fancy free online voting came along! :p)

Really, there's only one correct answer, and that's Chris Hollins. Anyone else is just plain wrong! Chris is one of the nicest winners, but easily the worst! XD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    votegate (part of the reason that I left Strictly for a few years)

Not really his fault though, was it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Caroline Flack
    Oh god, I had both the worst & best winner polls open and voted for the best in this poll

So, that's why Alesha/Caroline/Abbey got votes in :x

Worst, I wouldn't say Tom since he wasn't that far off from the Rachel/Lisa, and I think Chris is probably the only winner I'd think is a questionable dancer since other than his Charleston, he never really had a good dance. His semi-finals Rumba definitely showcased that
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Caroline Flack
    I voted for Caroline because she was a "ringer" and kept her training hidden from us.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    There are some celebs on this poll who simply shouldn't get votes - I don't know how anyone can justify saying Jill, Kara (I know that one was a mistake!) or Alesha were the worst winners, and I'd like to see those justifications rather than people simply voting and not giving a reason! Each to their own in terms of favourites, but the poll's about dance ability!

This poll's a no-brainer for me - much as I loved his partnership with Ola and did indeed vote for them, Chris Hollins is the worst dancer by miles ever to have won the show - he couldn't dance Latin for toffee and his ballroom was at times passable but by no means outstanding!
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren Gough
    I'd say it's pretty much a no-brainer too.

Chris

Darren

Everyone else (argue amongst yourselves)

Anything else is just wrong. Not opinion. Wrong :D.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    Interesting to see no votes for Harry when a lot complained on Twitter at the time that Chelsee and Jason were both better.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    Interesting to see no votes for Harry when a lot complained on Twitter at the time that Chelsee and Jason were both better.

Just as many of us thought he was miles better than both of them though!
  • Options
    BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darren Gough
    I voted Darren because at least Chris had that Charleston.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natasha Kaplinsky
    Chris & Darren, not great dancers and surprising winners. But I liked both of them personally,

Tom Chambers on the other hand....I could not abide him>:( and wished Rachel had won.:cry::(
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    Abbey Clancy, by a country mile
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Caroline Flack
    postit wrote: »
    Abbey Clancy, by a country mile

Natalie was robbed:(
  • Options
    franglemandfranglemand Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Hollins

I think with both Harry and Tom, people are now just comparing them against other winners rather than considering who "should" have won their respective series, and in comparison with other winners they stand up fairly well in dance terms. People have more recent memories of who "should" have won Abbey and Caroline's series (Louis is I think somewhere in the middle).

I didn't watch the early series but if we're talking about dancing, I think it has to be between Chris Hollins (at best mediocre in pretty much every dance - he was fun but not a great dancer), Darren Gough (only ever see people remember his quickstep, and even that I've seen mentioned less often that Colin's from the same series) and maybe Natasha Kaplinsky (I've watched none of it but apparently series 1 as a whole was of a pretty low standard).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins

I think the thing is, Harry may not have been the best dancer in his series (much like Caroline and Darren) but he is still better than the likes of, say Chris Hollins, who definitely wasn't the best dancer in his series. There's a difference between someone's ability and people's retrospective disdain for their victory. ;) People may be petty, but more often than not their honest.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris Hollins
    Very true. I do remember a lot of Jason fans complaining he'd won.

I missed most of Chris' series but watching him in the Christmas special I was sitting saying "HOW did he win?!" (Even allowing for the 5 years since his series)
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Gough
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Chris has just been on BBC Breakfast admitting he was the worst winner, and I agree with him. Basically he and Ola won it with just one decent dance, their Charleston in the final.

Good personality too - I pleased he won that year
  • Options
    tawnytawny Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darren Gough
    Natalie was robbed:(

Definitely!
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Darren Gough
    I voted for Caroline because she was a "ringer" and kept her training hidden from us.

...doesn't that go against the point of the thread?

I'm a little surprised at the number of people with more votes than Natasha. Of course it can be argued that standards were lower in the first series, but watching some of her dances back, I reckon she'd be lucky to make the halfway stage nowadays. She certainly wasn't any better than, say, Tom or Abbey.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst winner is a little mean if perhaps it could be argued that Darren might be viewed as one of the best winners in encouraging a lot of people, certainly men to take up dancing, and for having such obvious and infectious enthusiasm for it.

I haven't seen any of the more recent winners or finalists having that same enthusiasm, for them it seems more of a pro job these days. Darren (and Mark) were genuine amateurs.

As it is, I can still watch Darren and Lilia's complex no faff quickstep and semi-pro waltz to name two with a great deal of pleasure.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natasha Kaplinsky
    Kerplunk - Darren and Hobbit were crap but at least they looked like they wanted to be there. Every time Kerplunk went out there she moved like she expected to be chained back to the radiator at the end.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abbey Clancy
    Abbey Clancy. Nice girl but something about her dancing didn't impress me.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Clancy
    bornfree wrote: »
    Abbey Clancy. Nice girl but something about her dancing didn't impress me.

Same choice for same reason. I liked her much more than I thought I would, but she was totally over rated - the judges ignored her lack of technique and mistakes.
  • Options
    MistyMornMistyMorn Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Chris Hollins
    For me, it was close between Darren and Chris. I went for Chris however. :blush::p

Me too :)

Who else voted for Mark Ramprakash? I am still in love with him after all these years :blush: