Options

Is it acceptable for judges to be fans of a contestant, or should they be impartial?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is only human to have a favourite style of dancing or couple etc the knack is to ignore that put on your judges head and judge that compared to the others in the compeitition.

A pro dancer friend who is currently in states texted me Saturday re the show asked me how it went with my judges head so answered the best on the night over all the dances won - but my fave was Frankie
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,864
    Forum Member
    While I accept that there is a matter of principle involved with a question such as this, when it comes to SCD I really don't think it matters a fig.

Its not a proper competition, nothing is riding on it. The contestants are paid for their efforts, its a job for them. There is no money at stake or even real career advancement compared to say X factor. (tempted to add the word allegedly to that.:D) Any advancement there is tends to come from the exposure and the live showcase of skills and likability rather than winning. The prize is a plastic glitter ball and maybe a line or two on the CV/Wikipedia.

The only money at stake is the cost of phone votes and it should be clear to anyone who votes what they are being invited to spend money on. To me it is the telephony/TV version of being invited to hiss, cheer and yell "He's behind you" at the pantomime.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people seemed bothered that Darcy had mentioned something in the Radio Times about wanting Jake in the final. It seemed to make no difference when she scored his dances in the last two weeks.
  • Options
    RosegrowerRosegrower Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    davegold wrote: »
    A lot of people seemed bothered that Darcy had mentioned something in the Radio Times about wanting Jake in the final. It seemed to make no difference when she scored his dances in the last two weeks.

As I started that thread, perhaps I should reply. My concern was that this was indiscreet, not that it was unfair. Judges are human, and may have favourites like anyone else, but they should keep this to themselves. I wonder how the other contestants felt if they read Darcey 's comment in the RT, that she hoped Jake would win?
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I accept that there is a matter of principle involved with a question such as this, when it comes to SCD I really don't think it matters a fig.

Its not a proper competition, nothing is riding on it. The contestants are paid for their efforts, its a job for them. There is no money at stake or even real career advancement compared to say X factor. (tempted to add the word allegedly to that.:D) Any advancement there is tends to come from the exposure and the live showcase of skills and likability rather than winning. The prize is a plastic glitter ball and maybe a line or two on the CV/Wikipedia.

The only money at stake is the cost of phone votes and it should be clear to anyone who votes what they are being invited to spend money on. To me it is the telephony/TV version of being invited to hiss, cheer and yell "He's behind you" at the pantomime.

"Caroline Flack set to 'make millions' as she's tipped to fulfil dreams of West End stardom following record-breaking Strictly win"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2883579/Caroline-Flack-set-West-End-stardom-following-Strictly-Come-Dancing-win.html
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought it would be almost impossible not to have a favourite. It's not like it's a proper dances competition.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest