The Interview

Comments

• geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it, was just a fairly silly bog standard Franco/Rogen film really.
    Although I just kept hoping for a quick burst of "Im So Ronery" everytime King Un appeared.

But yeah after watching im even more convinced that all the "drama" around it was a well played promo campaign
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any 12 year old screenwriter that can get his script made into a major motion picture deserves a hell of a lot of credit. Imagine what he could be capable of writing when he hits 18. One to watch for sure.

I think he's already reached his peak.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Eminem, I can but hope.

Btw, the guy that plays Kim is hot. I don't care what y'all say, he's cute, and hot.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I've thought the same thing all along - Sony have managed to get millions in free advertising worldwide for a film that most people would have not bothered with or even heard of if not for the controversy. We've seen it all before when the BBC ban a single and it boosts sales and automatically becomes no 1 as people buy it cause its banned not because its any good, whereas under normal circumstances it'd have passed most people by.

See post 19. No way would they have let those emails out and private medical info about their employees families of it were a stunt. Especially in litigious America.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geos wrote: »
    Just watched it, was just a fairly silly bog standard Franco/Rogen film really.
    Although I just kept hoping for a quick burst of "Im So Ronery" everytime King Un appeared.

But yeah after watching im even more convinced that all the "drama" around it was a well played promo campaign

I think them saying they won't show it then changing their minds could have been a publicity stunt but no way was the hacking. Look at the emails leaked. Look at the private information on they're employees that was leaked. No way would they have willingly put that out in the open. Although their computer systems were not well protected.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be a pretty poor stunt. Without looking into it, I assume that with a wide release, due to the names involved and its time of release they'd be looking at a $20-25m opening weekend. My understanding is that with this limited release the opening is going to be around $2m, and the revenue from the VOD is not going to make up that deficit.
  • Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only available in the US! When will the movie studios learn. Time to torrent then.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    See post 19. No way would they have let those emails out and private medical info about their employees families of it were a stunt. Especially in litigious America.

The hacking (which had no connection with the movie) was genuine (most likely by a ticked-off ex-employee) but everything since has been opportunistic marketing. Even North Korea saw a chance to be in the news by jumping on the bandwagon.
    If you have a turkey then Christmas is the best time to sell it.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching it and quite enjoyed it in places.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kenny Maclean
    Not just in US.
    See my post number 23
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I think them saying they won't show it then changing their minds could have been a publicity stunt but no way was the hacking. Look at the emails leaked. Look at the private information on they're employees that was leaked. No way would they have willingly put that out in the open. Although their computer systems were not well protected.

I also feel that it's unlikely that Sony would have hacked themselves due to what came out, but that doesn't mean that Sony didn't try to mitigate a bad situation, muddy the focus of attention and try to make some money out of this debacle. I feel that the hack was most likely the work of some traditional hacking group and/or some disgruntled ex-employee (plenty of Sony staff were laid off earlier in the year, a few of those from the IT department). The North Korea stuff was just a matter of convenience and distraction.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Great marketing campaign though.

Who would have thought that President Obama had so little important work to do over the past couple of weeks that his main purpose in life appears to have been the promotion of this shit-fest.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Y'Know Dave, sometimes I feel like a plastic bag.

I near pissed myself!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should preface this by saying I'm in no way the target audience for this and I haven't seen any other Rogan/Franco films (indeed I think Zack & Miri... was the only other film with Rogan in it I've seen)

But... I thought it was awful. To be fair there were a few moments where I giggled at it due to it being so stupid, but I just thought Franco's over acting was beyond horrible. I probably would have turned it off within 10 minutes if it wasn't for the wider situation.

I guess I'm saying if you don't like this kind of film normally you probably won't get anything from it.

And yes, I am a grumpy old man. My 10/10 vote on imdb is staying though. **** North Korea.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    I should preface this by saying I'm in no way the target audience for this and I haven't seen any other Rogan/Franco films (indeed I think Zack & Miri... was the only other film with Rogan in it I've seen)

But... I thought it was awful. To be fair there were a few moments where I giggled at it due to it being so stupid, but I just thought Franco's over acting was beyond horrible. I probably would have turned it off within 10 minutes if it wasn't for the wider situation.

I guess I'm saying if you don't like this kind of film normally you probably won't get anything from it.

And yes, I am a grumpy old man. My 10/10 vote on imdb is staying though. **** North Korea.

I gave it a 10/10 on IMDB too for the same reason. But I'd rate it about 6/10.

It was funny in parts and dragged in others. If it wasn't for the controversy, I wouldn't be talking about it. But it's good to see what the trouble was all about. They really do make a tit out of Kim. I can see why he wouldn't like the film, but of course that doesn't excuse the threat of terrorism. (I don't know if I believe it tho, I'm kinda on the PR stunt side)
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First ten minutes & we (wife & I) nearly turned it off, just too childish for words. Then it picked up & in spite of some silly moments we quite enjoyed it, this in spite of us thinking it would be a load of rubbish, surprisingly the time flew by, to us that's usually a sign of a decent film.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it looks utter rubbish and I am fed up of hearing about it on the news.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Interview has become Sony's top grossing online film of all time.

It's been rented or purchased online more than 2 million times.

Made from a budget of $44 million, it's pulled in more than $15 million in online sales through the first four days since it's release on Dec 24.

Apple have also changed their mind and it's now available from iTunes.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Christ alive, I'll be glad to see the back of this.

So what's it all about then? A typical schlubby, half-arsed Seth Rogen cheap-target comedy that lands somewhere between okayish and pitiful it seems. It wouldn't be so bad, but, manufactured or not, the present media contoversy makes Rogen seem cutting edge, contemporary, vital etc. Most of which he certainly isn't. There's your protest 'kids'.

3/10 for the film and -10/10 for the whole piss-boring circus currently surrounding it. Come back, Michael Moore, all is forgiven.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The Interview has become Sony's top grossing online film of all time.

It's been rented or purchased online more than 2 million times.

Made from a budget of $44 million, it's pulled in more than $15 million in online sales through the first four days since it's release on Dec 24.

Apple have also changed their mind and it's now available from iTunes.
    IT'S ALL ABOUT DA MONEY
  • Yasmin26Yasmin26 Posts: 3,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried watching neighbours couple of months ago as I thought it might be funny as it had Rose Byrne whom I enjoy watching, The movie was so bad I turned it off after 20 minutes,
    nothing funny about it at all. Promised myself never to watch a seth Rogen movie ever again.

curiosity got the better of me and I ended up watching the interview. I did manage to finish watching the whole movie. I did laugh in parts of the movie like when James Franco character does something stupid and Seth Rogen character and CIA lady reaction to him was amusing.. But 90% of the movie is not funny at all, crude and fart jokes Same old crap from those people.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Watched this at the weekend and I kind of enjoyed it.

As a rule I don't really like Seth Rogan. He's kinda like Jack Black insofar as he seems to spend most of his time mocking a film as he's in it.
    It was actually nice to see him playing it fairly straight while James Franco was the daft caricature.

By about mid-way through it I actually said "Y'know, I'm not sure why North Korea is getting all arsey about this because fat-boy is coming out of it looking pretty good" but then, erm, things moved on.

All in all, it was probably at least as good as "The Dictator". I didn't feel like it was solely an excuse to be controversial and make money on that basis alone. There was some kind of proper, farcical comedy story there too.

Best line of the film: "The tiger has night vision? The tiger has night-vision goggles!!!" :D:D:D
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fun film, not the best that rogan,goldberg etc have made but its enjoyable throughout

the one bit that had me in stiches was when the reporter asked skylark if he will be kissing both kims cheeks and franco replies " lets just say im gonna give him something special with my hand" LOL
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Interview will be released in UK cinemas on 6th February. Thanks Sony!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The Interview will be released in UK cinemas on 6th February. Thanks Sony!

Not sure how well it will do seeing as it has been on the net already.

Wonder if North Korea will declare war on the UK for showing it?