South Park Series 1 DVD

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
Forum Member
✭✭
I have looked on Play, CD-WOW, The Hut and Amazon and I just cannot find South Park series one on DVD - they only have series 2, 3 &4!!! On Amazon there are a few on the 'new and used' section but they're way overpriced!

Does anyone know what is going on and why isn't this DVD available? And why are they so far behind - only upto series 4!? Aren't they on series 10 on tv in american now?

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    have you tried Kelkoo.co.uk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom_p1980 wrote:
    have you tried Kelkoo.co.uk?

I've just typed in 'South Park Series 1' and it came up with one result, but it was £117 - I want the DVD, but not that much!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PaulraffPaulraff Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    tom_p1980 wrote:

No good either, it says "This item is not available to purchase."

However, if Region 1 is any good to you, PlayUSA.com have it at £17.99 (free shipping) and amazon.com have it for $31.99 plus shipping.

Cheers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ignore this space
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No! I'm looking for a Region 2 DVD only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    They only seem to have epsidoes up to Vol 15 series 4 to buy does anybody know when the other episodes will be released on DVD Region 2?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    It appears to have been deleted on Region 2, so I'm guessing you're left with eBay or Amazon Marketplace for now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd be much better off going for Region 1, the region 2 releases were pretty basic, the American ones have special features (not many, but more than the R2 ones, and the mini commentaries S4 onwards are great).

And you can get up to season 7, with season 8 out in August, last I heard about R2, season 5 will be out "sometime this year".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's actually a lot that's gone on behind the scenes to hold up the R2 releases.
    When South Park started out Comedy Central was joint owned by Warner Bros and Paramount. When it turned out to be a hit in the UK the home video rights were licenced out to an independant company who produced videos to start with then DVDs when that format became available. When the movie came out the DVD release was handled by Warner Bros. In the US Warner Bros got the DVD rights and put out R1 sets of the first two seasons complete with extras that were lacking on the R2 versions.

I 2002 (I think) Paramount bought out Warner Bros' share in Comedy Central and gained control of South Park completely. At that point the UK home video rights reverted to them meaning that the season five box set that was due at the time was cancelled (and manufacturing was halted on the existing seasons). In the US they opted to continue where Warner Bros left off with season three, in the UK though where the first four seasons had been released in a completely different format they held off.

The word on the street now is that Paramount do want to produce R2 sets but as the first four are no longer in production they want to start out from the very beginning. Unfortunately there's no word on when that's likely to happen. As for season one if it's not out there anywhere I'd guess the existing copies have all been sold.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They deleted it because they want to start again from scratch with the DVD sets which Matt and Trey were never happy with. I'm looking forward to this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They deleted it because they want to start again from scratch with the DVD sets which Matt and Trey were never happy with. I'm looking forward to this.
    Oh, that's cool. But when are they going to be 'starting again'? When are we going to be able to buy the DVDs. Sometime soon I hope!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had all of the r2 boxsets but sold them on ebay so i could buy the r1 boxsets instead which are much better due to the extras etc. id seriously recommend the r1s anyday