Class ep 3 now up.

KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What did you think?

Interesting idea, bit of "Fathers Day" about it. Not sure I'm keen on the relationship between the two boys, but perhaps it will have some point later in the series...

K

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I watched the first two. They were fun to watch and time drifted by.

The American influences annoyed me. We do not have Amish in England. They are not allowed to fly or travel by boat. How did they get here? I do wish Patrick Ness was more careful in his scripts.

Plus we don't call Games Masters "coach". That annoyed me!
  • Sam_Gee1Sam_Gee1 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first two. They were fun to watch and time drifted by.

The American influences annoyed me. We do not have Amish in England. They are not allowed to fly or travel by boat. How did they get here? I do wish Patrick Ness was more careful in his scripts.

Plus we don't call Games Masters "coach". That annoyed me!

It also annoys me that April is made unpopular because she is nice? That simply would never be the case in 2016.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Sam_Gee1 wrote: »
    It also annoys me that April is made unpopular because she is nice? That simply would never be the case in 2016.

When I was at school April would be called "Goody Two Shoes"!
  • sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed episode 3. Decent acting all round, we learned a bit more about the characters, and the effects were quite good.
    Felt a bit sorry for Miss Quill when the others were all hugging each other leaving her on the sidelines, watching.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed episode 3. Decent acting all round, we learned a bit more about the characters, and the effects were quite good.
    Felt a bit sorry for Miss Quill when the others were all hugging each other leaving her on the sidelines, watching.

Yes, she wants to pretend she's cold and detached but I sense there's a heart in there somewhere!
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    Not sure I'm keen on the relationship between the two boys, but perhaps it will have some point later in the series...

K
    Was that supposed to be innuendo? :D
    Nah, she totally deserved it. ;-)

Considering what happens next week it seems everyone has had sex at some point. Tanya is the only one not to get laid. I'm sure Patrick Ness and the others in charge are patting themselves on the back with how adult and edgy they're making it.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    pferreira wrote: »
    Considering what happens next week it seems everyone has had sex at some point. Tanya is the only one not to get laid. I'm sure Patrick Ness and the others in charge are patting themselves on the back with how adult and edgy they're making it.

Shock horror, young adults have sex.

Shock horror, episode 3 involved a sex scene that lasted all of five seconds...of which about three of those were simply bedsheets being moved about.
  • Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shock horror, episode 3 involved a sex scene that lasted all of five seconds...of which about three of those were simply bedsheets being moved about.

The question for me though in all of this was after all we'd seen so far of Charlie and Matteusz as a pair (which is very little) how such a scene came about in episode 3? They've barely been together in any of the episodes and its gone from nothing to sex within such a short space of time.

Where was the blossoming romance or actual character development between the pair to get to that scene?

It came out of nowhere if you ask me...
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    It appears to have performed even worse than the last two on the iPlayer. It never made the top-10 and quickly dropped right out of the top-40 all together. Not a good sign for a show that's only available on the iPlayer.
    Forum Member
    The question for me though in all of this was after all we'd seen so far of Charlie and Matteusz as a pair (which is very little) how such a scene came about in episode 3? They've barely been together in any of the episodes and its gone from nothing to sex within such a short space of time.

Where was the blossoming romance or actual character development between the pair to get to that scene?

It came out of nowhere if you ask me...

Well they established the two of them have been dating for the better side of a month by the episode. Maybe the issue is with what hasn't been seen rather than what has - namely Matteusz being largely absent from the second episode (which though I still enjoyed I think is the weakest of the three without doubt). The closeness between the two in that second episode is only implied by the fact Charlie is the one to address Matteusz's absence when taking on the coach.

The developments of this third episode make perfect sense and fit, but I'll say that the second episode should have done something more to get us to the point we were at, rather than the third episode leaving it as more of an implication. I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere though, it just jumped from A to C. We all know B happened in between, and the dialogue even points it out but I'll concur that the pacing of their relationship has been flawed. Hopefully the rest of the series will balance things better.
  • Nelson_De_SouzaNelson_De_Souza Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well they established the two of them have been dating for the better side of a month by the episode. Maybe the issue is with what hasn't been seen rather than what has - namely Matteusz being largely absent from the second episode (which though I still enjoyed I think is the weakest of the three without doubt). The closeness between the two in that second episode is only implied by the fact Charlie is the one to address Matteusz's absence when taking on the coach.

The developments of this third episode make perfect sense and fit, but I'll say that the second episode should have done something more to get us to the point we were at, rather than the third episode leaving it as more of an implication. I wouldn't say it came out of nowhere though, it just jumped from A to C. We all know B happened in between, and the dialogue even points it out but I'll concur that the pacing of their relationship has been flawed. Hopefully the rest of the series will balance things better.

I do think the lack of what we've seen has been my real bugbear with all of this. Even if they've been dating for a month, it certainly doesn't feel like its been that. Say, if what had happened in episode 3 between them actually happened in episode 5, I don't think I've have had much of a problem with it. It would have felt a much longer and natural progression of time. There's just not been enough on-screen development for me to make it feel right. It's just kind of there...

And as a side point, I still think for them to have been dating that long (or little) and then be having sex kind of surprised me. I'm not exactly an old fuddy-duddy either or anything, I'm only 24, but it all seems rather quick....
  • Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get what the above posters say about using the American rather than British vocab at times.

Didn't think episode three was as good as the first two.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    It's all good fun, I think. I'm finding the storytelling a little simplistic but overall it's very enjoyable.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    I don't understand any of the comments about Americanisms myself. That's speaking as an English teacher at a secondary school. Different schools have different vernaculars. Academies refer to their head as a principal and it was also made clear that the "coach" in episode 2 wasn't in fact a P.E. teacher, just their football coach. What other word do we have for the person who trains a football team? As for the Amish reference, that's a bit of a silly point and not an Americanism. British people are more than aware of the Amish and their nature.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand any of the comments about Americanisms myself. That's speaking as an English teacher at a secondary school. Different schools have different vernaculars. Academies refer to their head as a principal and it was also made clear that the "coach" in episode 2 wasn't in fact a P.E. teacher, just their football coach. What other word do we have for the person who trains a football team? As for the Amish reference, that's a bit of a silly point and not an Americanism. British people are more than aware of the Amish and their nature.

In one of the episodes Miss Quill springs a surprise "quiz" on the pupils. We always said "test"; I've only seen "quiz" used in this way in American books or programmes.

There may have been more. Of course, for all I know terminology may have changed. :(

Btw, April was musing on the meaning of "Prom". What does it mean? Another pernicious and unnecessary Americanism.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    In one of the episodes Miss Quill springs a surprise "quiz" on the pupils. We always said "test"; I've only seen "quiz" used in this way in American books or programmes.

There may have been more. Of course, for all I know terminology may have changed. :(

Btw, April was musing on the meaning of "Prom". What does it mean? Another pernicious and unnecessary Americanism.

We have proms at my school. I also throw the odd quiz. It's all very well reminiscing about our pasts but the current situation in schools across the country has changed, for better or worse, and has been influenced by other cultures. Language is ever-changing and ever-evolving. It's futile not to embrace that.
    Forum Member
    We had surprise quizzes in schools, as well as surprise tests. They were a bit different in nature, as per the terminology really. We also has proms in Year 12 and Year 13. We had PE teachers, but then when my PE teacher also began running our hockey team we referred to her as the coach. There are a few other references to American culture (such as the Amish reference) but it didn't feel out of place... I can't speak for how it used to be but western cultural awareness knows few borders in schools - speaking as someone who was in sixth form a handful of years ago and is currently prepping to be a teacher myself.

The only line in Class I haven't liked was "Holy mother of Kanye"...I could have done without that one.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have proms at my school. I also throw the odd quiz. It's all very well reminiscing about our pasts but the current situation in schools across the country has changed, for better or worse, and has been influenced by other cultures. Language is ever-changing and ever-evolving. It's futile not to embrace that.

Thank you for the lecture. Maybe you will quiz me on it later?
    We had surprise quizzes in schools, as well as surprise tests. They were a bit different in nature, as per the terminology really. We also has proms in Year 12 and Year 13. We had PE teachers, but then when my PE teacher also began running our hockey team we referred to her as the coach. There are a few other references to American culture (such as the Amish reference) but it didn't feel out of place... I can't speak for how it used to be but western cultural awareness knows few borders in schools - speaking as someone who was in sixth form a handful of years ago and is currently prepping to be a teacher myself.

The only line in Class I haven't liked was "Holy mother of Kanye"...I could have done without that one.

OK, I didn't realise the American terminology re "quiz" had crept in.

I know everyone has Proms now (rather tiresomely imo, but then I'm a grumpy old git who doesn't see why a dance isn't just called a dance) I was wondering what it actually meant. As a word, that is, not an activity.
  • sheffieldersheffielder Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know everyone has Proms now (rather tiresomely imo, but then I'm a grumpy old git who doesn't see why a dance isn't just called a dance) I was wondering what it actually meant. As a word, that is, not an activity.

Promenade, maybe?

(End of term disco in my day!)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Promenade, maybe?

Yep
    The American prom has its roots in the 19th-century debutante ball, when well-to-do young women were introduced to polite society — and to potential suitors. "Prom" is short for "promenade," the slow walk that debutantes did at their "coming out" ball.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05-08/opinion/ct-perspec-0508-prom-20130508_1_school-prom-purchasing-dresses-american-girl
    Forum Member
    I was wondering what it actually meant. As a word, that is, not an activity.

April was wondering what the word 'prom' means in the episode, funnily enough. She wonders if it derives from the notion of 'a night of promise' before thinking 'promenade' is more likely :)
  • pferreirapferreira Posts: 338
    Forum Member

Shock horror, it was a stupid and pointless sex scene. Glad I surprised you, I'm here all day. ;-)