Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news!!
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbrose wrote: »

Thank you so much for that info; I knew when it started but did n't know whether it was going to be shown in UK like previous series.
  • Options
    martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also a short article in next week's Radio Times (15th-21st March issue), under next Friday's Digital programs.

They've got a photo of Bruno and Len, and Carrie Ann.

The write-up says "The new US version of the BBC show should top the ratings again", and then it lists the celebs taking part (haven't heard of several of them). It gives the Olympic figure skater as the hot tip.

They're showing 3 programs on Friday, lasting from 8pm till 11.20.

Better get some snacks in.

Incidentally, besides being available on UKTVGold via Sky, you can also see the UKTVGold programs on "Top Up TV". That's noted in the Radio Times listing. I'm not exactly sure what Top Up TV is. I think it might be a bit like Sky, but cheaper (maybe you don't need a satellite dish either???). There's also something called Top Up TV Anytime. I don't know if that's like Sky+. Does anyone have/use Top Up TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKTV have started to show a trailer, just showing Len and Bruno, "getting made up", for the show.

I haven't noticed this before. I don't think it was shown during "So You Think You Can Dance" last night, which would have been an obviously audience for it. This must have started this afternoon (Thursday). I expect we'll be sick of seeing the trailer by next Friday.
  • Options
    CP30CP30 Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    martyboy wrote: »
    Incidentally, besides being available on UKTVGold via Sky, you can also see the UKTVGold programs on "Top Up TV". That's noted in the Radio Times listing. I'm not exactly sure what Top Up TV is. I think it might be a bit like Sky, but cheaper (maybe you don't need a satellite dish either???). There's also something called Top Up TV Anytime. I don't know if that's like Sky+. Does anyone have/use Top Up TV?

I don't currently have Top Up TV but think I may have to invest. Although I'm away for the first programme. :( Last time I looked it was only £10 a month and basically you get all the Freeview stuff and some extra channels (inc Eurosport which I'd like too) but not the premium Sky ones. You don't need a dish, but have to buy their box which I think is now a recorder as well.
  • Options
    rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the series will be shown in widescreen as well!
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    I've had a sneaky peek at the reports from last night's show. Sounds promising! I planned to be disciplined enough to avoid spoiler threads, but I know it's never going to happen. I quite enjoyed waiting for the spoilers on saturday night during Strictly 2007..
  • Options
    Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    I'm posting the links which Dance4Fun22 is kind enough to post right after the programme in the US, but will also be watching it on Friday night especially as it's going to be widescreen :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it starts in less than half an hour!!!
  • Options
    grittygritty Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barring a couple, I know most of the celebrities. Having watched all the previous DWTS, obviously I know all but one of the pros - so I think I was able to watch this series with a similar anticipation to our beloved SCD.

Wasn't far off agreeing with the judges. Other than, personally I would have put Adam one point ahead of Penn. I understood why Monica was lowest of the female dancers BUT didn't think she deserved to be equal last.

At the bottom my order would have been: Monica, Adam and in last postion Penn. But with only whole marks, mayble Monica and Adam would have been equal.

Of the males, Mario was the stand out performance (dancing with my personal favourite US female) but my personal yummy was Jason - WOW. Definitely looking forward to seeing these lads change dance styles - only then will I decide which is my favourite.

But wasn't Steve a sweetie - I love a cele. that seemly to truely love the show!!!!

Just watched the girls. Surprised that I didn't enjoy Marissa one little bit, plus I'm worried about her ballroom. I idolise Louis, so I wanted to love Prisilla - she inspired with amazing movement for a 62 yr old - BUT .........
    Loved Marlee and her partner. OK, they soooooo reminded me of Carol and Matthew (my SCD favourites of that series) but I see something special in that partnership.

The Olympic skater, Kristi - totally deserved her scores and could easily be handed the trophy NOW - no-one is going to achieve her standard in the timescale BUT, if I'm honest, I wouldn't actually pick up the phone and vote - she had too much of an advantage. I wonder how other people would feel - and wonder whether American voters are different to UK voters. Oh well, we'll never know for certain ..........

Early favourites in order: Mario, Jason, Marlee, Prisilla and Kristi.
    Final order: Kristi, Mario - can't decide order yet out of remaining three. And I only put Kristi first because she's entered a competition AFTER a red-hot favourite was 'surprisingly' eliminated in the previous series (and she's partnered with the same pro!!!!). If that hadn't happened, I think Kristi would be seen as having an unfair advantage and could have faltered (however, I'm not sure of her fan-base in the US, which may be unassailable, particularly with a DWTS audience).

Thoughts, anyone!!!
  • Options
    dbrosedbrose Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good opening show, I watched it this afternoon and was quite impressed with the standard for opening nights!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gritty wrote: »
    Barring a couple, I know most of the celebrities. Having watched all the previous DWTS, obviously I know all but one of the pros - so I think I was able to watch this series with a similar anticipation to our beloved SCD.

Wasn't far off agreeing with the judges. Other than, personally I would have put Adam one point ahead of Penn. I understood why Monica was lowest of the female dancers BUT didn't think she deserved to be equal last.

At the bottom my order would have been: Monica, Adam and in last postion Penn. But with only whole marks, mayble Monica and Adam would have been equal.

Of the males, Mario was the stand out performance (dancing with my personal favourite US female) but my personal yummy was Jason - WOW. Definitely looking forward to seeing these lads change dance styles - only then will I decide which is my favourite.

But wasn't Steve a sweetie - I love a cele. that seemly to truely love the show!!!!

Just watched the girls. Surprised that I didn't enjoy Marissa one little bit, plus I'm worried about her ballroom. I idolise Louis, so I wanted to love Prisilla - she inspired with amazing movement for a 62 yr old - BUT .........
    Loved Marlee and her partner. OK, they soooooo reminded me of Carol and Matthew (my SCD favourites of that series) but I see something special in that partnership.

The Olympic skater, Kristi - totally deserved her scores and could easily be handed the trophy NOW - no-one is going to achieve her standard in the timescale BUT, if I'm honest, I wouldn't actually pick up the phone and vote - she had too much of an advantage. I wonder how other people would feel - and wonder whether American voters are different to UK voters. Oh well, we'll never know for certain ..........

Early favourites in order: Mario, Jason, Marlee, Prisilla and Kristi.
    Final order: Kristi, Mario - can't decide order yet out of remaining three. And I only put Kristi first because she's entered a competition AFTER a red-hot favourite was 'surprisingly' eliminated in the previous series (and she's partnered with the same pro!!!!). If that hadn't happened, I think Kristi would be seen as having an unfair advantage and could have faltered (however, I'm not sure of her fan-base in the US, which may be unassailable, particularly with a DWTS audience).

Thoughts, anyone!!!

Hello girtty
    I like your thoughts about the show. I like mario obviously he's the best performer have to work more with the technical side, but he's good. I love Jason because I use to live in Miami (althought i don't like American football) he's well known there and his a lovely guy. For a man of his height I thought he did a pretty good job. I know I can't expect him to be good with latin dances because his hight. But I'm hopping that Edyta can help him in that.
    Well I agree basically with all your stament.
    Hugs
    LLxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Gritty - my thoughts are: I liked Cristian in spite of him being a bit arrogant. Once he gets over being so stiff and drops his shoulders, I think he might be good. I did like Mario but wonder how he'll get on with the ballroom. And Jason was lovely! Of the rest, I couldn't stand Adam and hope he goes out first and Penn was fun but is so flat footed. :eek: Steve was refreshingly humble for a Hollywood star and not a bad dancer but again, I wonder how he will do in the next round when he has to do a latin dance.

Of the girls, what on earth has Priscilla done to her face. :confused: I notice the judges didn't tell her to smile more - her face would have cracked!!! She's very stately and IMO I don't think she deserved 8's. We shall see how she copes with latin. Kristi was a joy to watch and might very well win unless one of the guys gives her a run for her money. Marissa was deeply irritating with all that gurning and I most sincerely hope she goes out first as well. Shannon was good but might suffer from going first and being so attractive, Marlee was an inspiration and poor Monica was totally out of her depth. She didn't do too badly for someone who has never danced a step before but she doesn't seem to have much idea. Next week should be interesting!

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and really appreciate a decent band and singers and am looking forward to the rest of the series. Lovely to see Mel B in the audience too. Such a shame that Maks decided to pass on this series although he has promised to be back for the next one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone!!
    :)

I really enjoyed last night's show. I was so excited about it being back on tv... Actually, as excited as I would have been if it had been SCD!!
    It was very good to see the most excellent Mr Bergeron again and Samantha looked like a princess in that black dress in the first program. I think her stylist could give Tess' stylist a tip or two! :D

For the men, I really enjoyed Mario's dancing, Cristian and Jason (and all three of them are 31 kinds of yummy!).
    I really liked Steve's enthusiasm, he was so sweet.
    I also like Penn's enthusiasm but oh dear, he is not very good tho. Bless him calling himself "Big Foot"!!
    I didn't like Adam at all, he was really bad but I guess after 2 victories, Julianne was due a dud.

As for the ladies, Kristi was amazing and I can understand that some people will say she has an unfair advantage but I personnally don't mind, I really enjoyed her dancing.
    Oh!! And I had noticed last season that Mark Ballas is a cutie but when I saw him in that very well cut and smart suit for his first meeting with Kristi, I went "WOW!", I went :eek: and I promptly fell off my chair! :D Yummy!! :D
    Marlee Matlin was fantastic. I think I will be very biaised about her as I think she's an amazing actress and I loved her in "The West Wing". But I am so impressed at how well she (and her partner Fabian) coped and how well they did despite her disability.
    Priscilla was ok and coped remarkably well for a lady her age but (and that is going to sound so catty), I was very distracted by her face. She's had way to much plastic surgery and look completely artificial.
    Shannon was ok too but I thought her legs were a bit lazy. It might also have been due to nerves... Must be SO scary to be out first.
    Monica was not very graceful at all and Marissa just annoyed me. I'm all for enthusiasm but hers is so over the top, she's exhausting!!

Oh and I'm already missing Maks :(

Anyhoo, t'was my two cents worth about last night. I'm going to try an remain entirely spoiler free like last year. It made for a very exciting final (maybe too exciting, I almost pass out because of it!!! :D)

xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Gritty - I agree Kristi was fabulous, but I too think she has got an unfair advantage. Yes, she has to get used to high heels (a piece of cake comnpared to skates, I would have thought!!??) and learn the steps, but her arms, hands, head, poise, performance are all very similar to ice skating, and will no doubt be automatic. Compare that to poor Monica, who has none of those advantages whatsoever, and clearly found the whole thing uncomfortable. Marissa is bundles of fun, but I cringe to think of her doing ballroom!!!

Looks as if it is going to be great series though. Huge thanks to bbc for putting it on for us to see.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    My first impressions-

Men -

Jason has fab posture and control, hope he also the hips for Latin

Mario - reverse those comments (if you see what I mean).

Penn - great fun to watch, wonder if Kim can get some technique out of him!

Steve - knows how to sell a performance and seems genuinely chuffed to be there, but might he struggle with fast/irregular rhytms?

Cristian - good potential, agreed with the judges about his shoulders!

Adam - if he takes it seriously I think he will do OK, especially in ballroom routines.

Ladies

Priscilla - great choreography and well performed, but I felt she was not quite connecting with her partner or the audience. Forgive me, but for reasons I assume I don't have to elaborate on I could barely look at her face, which probably did not help. Noticed her daughter Lisa in the audience - would love to see her do it!

Shannon - great potential, agreed with the judges about using her legs and loosening up her hips.

Monica - charming expressiveness, if she can lose the gawky stfifness that is probably mostly muscle-memory from tennis, she could do well.

Marissa - loads of energy and presence, if she can contain it and show a different side of herself in ballroom she will be very entertaining.

Marlee - brilliant rhythm, I am sure she is feeling the music through the floor as well as seeing it through her partner. A bit more presentation and she will be up there at the end.

Kristi - lovely presentation which you might expect from a champion skater, she will have to dedicate herself to getting the footwork and posture spot on in to please the judges. Just a thought - most ladies ice skating routines don't require you to "do" hips much - wonder if that will be a challenge?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although Kristi's performance was outstanding, we shouldn't assume too much.

Remember what happened to Mark's partner, Sabrina, last season. Sabrina did a completely knockout performance in the first show. But the public weren't inclined to vote for her, or didn't think she needed their votes. And out she went.

I was really sad to see Julianne's partner this time. OMG. I'd been hoping we'd see lots more of Julianne's fantastic performances this season, but it doesn't look as though we will.

That Shannon was very nice to watch. Those legs! I fear she might come to take Julianne's place in my affections.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Kristi has a HUGE advantage over Sabrina - she isn't a pop star or on Disney TV or wherever the Cheetah girl appeared. She is a well loved sports star and entertainer who is of a similar age to a lot of the voting public. Sabrina seemed to be popular with the younger voters but obviously not as well liked by the older viewers.

Kristi will get a lot of votes because she is an Olympic medallist in a popular discipline, was in all those ice shows and is generally VERY well known to all ages of viewers.

(Now watch her go out next week!! :lol: )

Priscilla did well for 62, but Oh dear - she's been to the same plastic surgeon as Michael Jackson or the Bride of Wildenstein.... her face looks like a waxwork ....

I thought Adam was better than Penn with the blokes, and I think the eviction is between those two,

I think the girls will be between Monica, Shannon or Marissa. I think it depends on who has the biggest fanbase, and whether or not the US voters are like us with SCD and have a group of fans of the pros voting for them. Jonathan seems popular
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched Kristi on youtube - next week she has the mambo. Mark made an aside which I thought suggested that its not Kristi's favourite dance. She then commented on trying to get her hips working. They've set the bar really, really high for themselves, but I don't think it will do her any harm to 'struggle' a bit.

Think Marlee could be gorgeous in the ballroom, iI think its the quickstep - should suit her, lets hope Fabian can choreograph a decent international quickstep.

Jason was quick on his feet and used his knees amaziningly for such a tall person - that should help with the latin dances - let's hope his partner manages to choreograph a good routine for HIM - (not something, I think she's very good at, she often leaves her celebrity standing and choreographs spins/dips/splits for herself, Len's moaned about her choreography in a previous season.

Not worried about Mario's ballroom, assuming its the quickstep. If he's still there, week 3 should be latin and that gives him a good couple of weeks to work on technique. However, I don't think Katrina places correct footwork very high on her priority list for her celebrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking that most of the American pros don't actually do the choreography for the dances? They get other people in to do it for them????
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I think Julianne, Derek and mark get Marks parents (Corky & Shirley Ballas) in to help them...... we certainly saw Corky helping in one show last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Force Ten wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that most of the American pros don't actually do the choreography for the dances? They get other people in to do it for them????

At least a couple of Cheryl Burke's famous routines with Drew were choreographed by other dancers but I think I remember hearing that it was stopped and that all dancers were supposed to choreograph the routines themselves.

I think you can see each dancers strengths and weaknesses in their choreography. Louis is often too complicated and appears to me as if he wants to prove something :confused:, Katrina uses many of her competitive moves within her routines. Tony's routines definitely show his own preference.

Jonathan and Anna seem the most pro-am like - and I think their routines reflect the abilities of their celebrities.

Cheryl and Edyta both have particular choreographic styles (which I find quite simple) but I'm sure these two use people around them for help - as does Mark, Julianne and Derek - but of this final group, I think Derek sees a choreographic future.

Kim seems to 'go her own way' choreographically. Her routines definitely go for 'personality' and her partners have definitely benefitted from this approach. Not sure how much outside help she receive - often her males show strong female lines and I'm guessing its because they're apeing what she does and she's not teaching the male styling variations.
  • Options
    Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Force Ten wrote: »

No, in the first couple seasons they were allowed to have outside help choreographing their routines, but after that it was ruled that they were not allowed to anymore. Now, they're required to choreograph themselves, though I wouldn't be surprised if there is some under the table help once in a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with Strictly, a lot of them do get outside help. Realistically, it could be difficult for someone who has specialised in Latin for example, to try to choreograph a ballroom routine.

If this is not officially allowed, then one way they (pro dancers) can get round it is to book themselves a lesson with someone else. Even pros take regular lessons, and who is to say whether they are learning stuff for their own dancing, or a routine to pass on to the celeb partners! I know this happens cos my partner and I curled up one night when we saw 'our' routine being danced on Strictly - we knew where that had come from!