Options

O2 and Vodafone to miss their own 98% 4G coverage target for 2015

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
O2 and Vodafone are set to miss their own 98% 4G coverage target for 2015. Ofcom will not be to worried yet....

The news is hardly surprising, not least because the operator with the most advanced deployment of 4G (plus nearly one year’s head-start on their rivals), EE, has already missed its original goal of putting the service within reach of 98% by the end of 2014. In fact EE only hit 90% last month and they might finally get close to 98% by the end of this year.

At the same time the most recent results from Vodafone reported that the operator had so far only managed to achieve a 4G outdoor population coverage of 68% (here), which is likely to be mirrored by O2 UK due to the presence of a network sharing deal (here). But Mobile News reports that indoor reception is even further behind at around 63%.

A Vodafone Spokesperson said:

“We recognise the importance of mobile connectivity which is why we spent more than £1 billion last year on our network across the country and will spend a similar amount this year. However, we are also very aware that in certain areas of the UK it may be more difficult to deliver the level of coverage our customers expect. This could be due to a number of reasons, such as the geography of the area and difficulties in finding sites following discussions with potential landlords.”

At this point it’s worth noting that O2 holds the official 4G coverage obligation lot for the 800MHz radio spectrum band (details), although they need not worrying because in reality Ofcom’s requirements for this are pretty weak.

For example the rule demands, “with 90% confidence“, that O2 be able to deliver “a sustained downlink speed of not less than 2Mbps when that network is lightly loaded” and bizarrely this can also be met by using “alternative mobile broadband technologies if they wish to” (it sounds as if they could probably use 3G to deliver the 4G obligation in some areas).

Since then mobile operators have also agreed with the government to improve their landmass (geographic) coverage (here) too, which will see voice and text (2G) coverage being boosted from 80% today to 90% by 2017 and 3G (data) coverage being pushed from 69% to 85% over the same period. Doing this is harder than the population goal, so the 2017 date sounds realistic.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/08/o2-and-vodafone-uk-to-miss-98-percent-uk-4g-coverage-target-for-2015.html

Comments

• Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I think the traditional way of delivering service needs to be rethought. At the moment Virgin Media are in the process of launching their own version of BT Wifi, although interestingly it will have little or no effect on the household if reports are true that the bandwidth is separate. Coming to the point Virgin is slowly opening up access to their cabinets so small cell technology can be deployed. Its reported that Vodafone/O2 and Three have been interested, as it would mean a cheap way to expand coverage, crucially the installation would be a matter of hours rather than weeks and months upgrading macrocells and such like.

Vodafone and EE are openly trialling small cell technology, its through this they will be able to scale coverage quickly. The only issue for Vodafone is they are loathe to use Openreach if they can avoid it. Now seeing as BT is buying EE I wonder if Openreach will follow suit in respect of Virgin Media?

98% coverage was always pie in the sky, if EE couldn't do it (and they have worked very fast), then neither could Vodafone or O2. The way the whole 4G upgrades is being handled borders on stupidity. There is Vodafone who doesn't want to use BT but its own fibre network. Then you have O2 who will gladly suck on the teet of any willing provider, Three is much the same. EE again has worked with BT and Virgin, along side a pending partnership with Hyperoptic (I think?).

Why is it so hard to agree on a package which benefits everyone but also having the potential to remove obstacles thus speeding up rollout?

Competition is increasing slowly, however I doubt EE have anything to worry about for the forseeablye future.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These rurusl masts will be fun. You are going to need some serious Microwave links to enable some of the rural sites, especially VF who like you say want to use their own fibre.

It appears that VF have to wait for the fibre to reach an area before they can set about doing any site. This must be slowing them down loads.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    I am still stunned at the amount of motorway that my O2 phone spends on GPRS.

For example, the M18: I must have been on GPRS for 85% of the time I was on that motorway before I went onto the A1.

Even Vodafone are better which begs the question: is this network sharing agreement actually happening or is it all just talk as I have seen very little evidence of O2 coverage improving.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    I am still stunned at the amount of motorway that my O2 phone spends on GPRS.

For example, the M18: I must have been on GPRS for 85% of the time I was on that motorway before I went onto the A1.

Even Vodafone are better which begs the question: is this network sharing agreement actually happening or is it all just talk as I have seen very little evidence of O2 coverage improving.

There is for 4G, but I get the impression that areas that don't have 4G aren't having any upgrade until 4G arrives.
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone seem to be improving coverage in places that aren't being getting 4g. o2 seem to just be doing 4g, at least that's how I think they're doing it.
  • Options
    mrgs12mrgs12 Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    There is for 4G, but I get the impression that areas that don't have 4G aren't having any upgrade until 4G arrives.
    We had an upgrade couple of weeks ago, GPRS on O2 for years now the mast has EDGE, no 3 or 4g wow what an upgrade!
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happening where cornerstone is happening. Appears that some areas go 4g shared as the improvement, whereas others will go 3g and then 4g. It does seem to happen when an area is being focused on the upgrades.
  • Options
    Pedro_CPedro_C Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They only consistently seem to be sharing with ex 3G single operator monopoles, which go from U2100/UG900 to UG900, U2100 and L800. With lattice towers, it seems to be considerably inconsistent.

Out of the eight shared 'proper' towers I currently have entered into my database and have visited:

Three are identical to Vodafone, having 2G/3G/4G (Shalford, Horsham road, Spectrum Athletics)
    Two have O2 2G/4G, with Vodafone additionally having 3G (Elstead, Thursley)
    Three Have Vodafone 2G/(3G)/4G and only O2 GPRS. (Midhurst UHF, Chalton, Gomshall) Also, Bramshott appears to be Vodafone all, O2 2G only. O2 is the South downs is basically 2G only, with EE and 3 primarily being 3G and Vodafone seering away with 4G in really quite a lot of places now.