Bon Jovi acts like a dick at IOW festival.

2»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Bon Jovi isn't a band it's a corporation, or so he said in this documentary I saw recently, shot in black & white to make them appear cool I imagine, very dull pretentious and desperate it was.

Oh for God's sake :rolleyes: Why does he think that?
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <<Still waiting>>

So DS. Start a thread that is complete bollox and then disappear.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh for God's sake :rolleyes: Why does he think that?

Because that is precisely what big bands are these days and it isn't being pretentious to say so.

A friend of a friend owns a business and he belongs to a business club where he lives. Once a month the club members meet for lunch and invite a guest speaker to talk about aspects of their business and how what they do could be applied to their own businesses.

A few months ago the guest speaker was Bruce Dickinson from iron maiden, who talked about how the band as evloved from just about making music to being involved in the business decisions that effect them. So from marketing, merchandise, publicity, the artwork, etc. So in that sense the likes of Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, kiss, etc, are little different from a corporation.
  • wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of going but couldn't make it cos of Springsteen but I'm glad I didn't go - not cos of the setlist which looked good, or because Jon was a bit of a dick cos he's always been like that but I'd have been gutted if I'd paid to see them without Richie. His new solo album is far better than the band's new one anyway
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to his set on the radio and the crowd were very much into it from what I could hear,I went to see them at Villa Park few weeks ago not really my thing but was a very good concert
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bon Jovi acted like a right dick at the festival with his constant whinging and upset the crowd and organisers when he demanded a 3 hour set then walked off after 2 hours into it after the 40,000 crowd just gave blank stares as he set off playing his new music rather than the older big hits that they were expecting.

I know some back stage workers who were pretty pissed off by his rudeness to them and he laid into the event as "the worst concert I have ever played".

Why would you NOT give a three-hour set to Bon Jovi? Why would you not give a three-hour set to any headliner? That's value for money, he was offering it and it was refused.

And to say that he "walked off" after 2 hours into it is also clearly false as the setlist demonstrates that he finished a 22-song set.

This story has BS written all over it.
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    This story has BS written all over it.
    Which is why the O.P has omitted to justify his one and only post in the topic.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's Hyde Park set:

1) Rockin' All Over The World
    2) You Give Love A Bad Name
    3) That's What The Water Made Me
    4) Raise Your Hands
    5) Born To Be My Baby
    6) Lost highway
    7) It's My Life
    8) Because We Can
    9) What about now
    10) We Got It Going On
    11) Keep The Faith
    12) In These Arms
    13) Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
    14) Captain Crash
    15) We Weren't Born To Follow
    16) Who Says You Can't Go Home
    17) I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
    18) Bad Medicine/Pretty Woman/Roadhouse Blues

19) Dry County
    20) Wanted Dead Or Alive
    21) Love's The Only Rule
    22) Have A Nice Day
    23) Living On A Prayer

24) Always
    25) These Days
    26) Blood On Blood

2 hr 50 min set from 7:25 - 10.15.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    odie99 wrote: »
    Setlist at Isle of Wight:

1. That's What the Water Made Me
    2. You Give Love a Bad Name
    3. Raise Your Hands
    4. Born to Be My Baby
    5. Lost Highway
    6. It's My Life
    7. Because We Can
    8. What About Now
    9. We Got It Goin' On
    10. Keep the Faith
    11. In These Arms
    12. Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
    13. Captain Crash & the Beauty Queen From Mars
    14. We Weren't Born to Follow
    15. Who Says You Can't Go Home
    16. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
    17. Rockin' All Over the World (John Fogerty cover)
    18. Start Me Up (The Rolling Stones cover)
    19. Bad Medicine
    Encore:
    20. Wanted Dead or Alive
    21. Have a Nice Day
    22. Livin' on a Prayer

I think 3 of the songs are from their new album. Seems like a mix of old stuff and newer stuff to me.

I haven't brought a Bon Jovi album for a few years but as some one who last saw them way back when I'd be happy with that set list personally.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Who is the bigger dick? Bon Jovi or people who think his music has some merit and pay to see him/it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Who is the bigger dick? Bon Jovi or people who think his music has some merit and pay to see him/it?

I really don't understand why people go out of their way to diss Bon Jovi. You listen to 'superior' music that in your opnion that 'has merit'. Good for you! Why spend your life critisizing music you hate, and worse, people who like music that you hate? :confused:

It must really irk you that Bon Jovi are still around after 30 years and still successful and that these 'dicks' still play to these 'even bigger dicks' who are willing to pay to see them.

Get over it and get a life!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

...or the person who criticises a massively successful artist/band and their devoted fans with absolutely no basis? I'm voting for him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't understand why people go out of their way to diss Bon Jovi. You listen to 'superior' music that in your opnion that 'has merit'. Good for you! Why spend your life critisizing music you hate, and worse, people who like music that you hate? :confused:

It must really irk you that Bon Jovi are still around after 30 years and still successful and that these 'dicks' still play to these 'even bigger dicks' who are willing to pay to see them.

Very well said!
  • JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seconded.

I saw them at Hyde Park yesterday and they were brilliant - as were the Kaiser Chiefs and Bush were awesome, despite a few sound problems not of their making.

A lot of people adore Rhianna and love her concerts - I can't stand her and I wouldn't go to see her but I'm happy for those who do like her to go and have a great time!

I can't stand musical snobbery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan and saw them at hyde park yesterday. They put in a great effort despite no richie sambora. I was only disappointed because it focused to much on hits and was expecting a couple more rarities for their last show in europe for this tour.

In terms of IOW you can't blame them for playing a shorter set when the other acts over-ran before them and these days concert organisers are very strict on their curfews.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    With regard to IOW, how dare they 'only' play for over 2 hours. I'm guessing other headliners at music festivals must generally play closer to 3-4 hours.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    Seconded.

I saw them at Hyde Park yesterday and they were brilliant - as were the Kaiser Chiefs and Bush were awesome, despite a few sound problems not of their making.

A lot of people adore Rhianna and love her concerts - I can't stand her and I wouldn't go to see her but I'm happy for those who do like her to go and have a great time!

I can't stand musical snobbery.
    I'm a big fan and saw them at hyde park yesterday. They put in a great effort despite no richie sambora. I was only disappointed because it focused to much on hits and was expecting a couple more rarities for their last show in europe for this tour.

In terms of IOW you can't blame them for playing a shorter set when the other acts over-ran before them and these days concert organisers are very strict on their curfews.

Me too! It was brilliant and what was great is that there was a range of ages from teenage lads (who had fab t shirts made up with lyrics from their fave Bon Jovi song) to elderly ladies and everything in between! Really enjoyed it and so did my 21 year old friend who'd never been to a concert and loved every moment :)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

They are one of the most popular bands in the world, how does that make their fans dicks?
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like or loathe Bon Jovi there is no taking away the career they have had, they have stood the test of time, can still sell albums and sell huge amounts of concert tickets. Their latest album What About Now, went number 1 in America as did their previous 2 albums. Granted what about now isnt selling as good as their others in the UK but they are still selling and also managed a brand new top 40 single.

People get mixed up with their own opinions and facts, and they have wrote and produced some great songs whether you hate them of love them. They also always deliver strong when performing live and would put many younger acts to shame on live vocal range, and live energy. Like it or not but these guys have done enough to stay in the history books and be remembered for many a year after their passing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely the biggest dick is the person capable of posting such a dumb comment as the one I've quoted....... :rolleyes:
  • KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bon Jovi is the best band in the world! 30 years of sell out concerts and not one bad album ever.

They always play a 3 hour set if not more and at festivals, they can end up with less time because of previous acts over running.

They have sold 100 million plus records/cd/albums so if ya don't like them, nobody forces you to listen to them. There's lots of bands and singers I can't stand, but I don't listen to them or pay for their music...please do the same!

As for the OP...they didn't have the guts to come back and admit they lied!
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    It's a festival which means the majority of the crowd won't even be huge fans. You need to play your hits if you want acceptance in these circumstances imo.

Why go to the festival then,i would not even consider buying tickets for an event where i did not like the head lining act.

And believe me i have been to many festivals. :)
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why go to the festival then,i would not even consider buying tickets for an event where i did not like the head lining act.

Not even if you were a fan of someone further down the bill?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also go to many festivals and I would still go even if I wasn't particularly fond of the headline act, there are always plenty of other bands to see and things to do at festivals these days.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Electra wrote: »
    Not even if you were a fan of someone further down the bill?
    I also go to many festivals and I would still go even if I wasn't particularly fond of the headline act, there are always plenty of other bands to see and things to do at festivals these days.

Went to Hard Rock Calling not because Rod Stewart was topping the bill, but because I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to see Stevie Nicks. Then they added Rumer and Train onto the bil, and Rod turned out to be largely enjoyable, so it ended up being a very good day.