Options

Most stupid answer to a quiz question ever!

Comments

• Options
    knawtitypaosknawtitypaos Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    On tonights University Challenge ( would you believe)

Which planet in the solar system had the same surface area as the Indian ocean??

JUPITER !!!!!!!

Words fail me
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which planet in the solar system had the same surface area as the Indian ocean??

JUPITER !!!!!!!

Words fail me

Damn it, you beat me to this by 8 minutes.

Anyway, we have a new winner. :D
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

JUPITER !!!!!!!

Words fail me

Just waiting for people to say how the question was worded so that Jupiter was a sensible answer :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just waiting for people to say how the question was worded so that Jupiter was a sensible answer :D

Well, it was the other way round: The Indian ocean, with an area of 74 million sq km, has roughly the same surface area as which planet in the solar system?

I defy anybody to justify Jupiter.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Kurek had inside knowledge about a tiny solid core to Jupiter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Maybe Kurek had inside knowledge about a tiny solid core to Jupiter?

Nice try :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is a core that size to Jupiter, it will probably be as dense as Kurek felt right after giving that answer.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Star Family Reunion today:

Q: TOWIE is the abbreviation for which reality TV series?

A: Hollyoaks

Could she not have just passed instead of making herself look stupid with that answer?
  • Options
    RegTumblerRegTumbler Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I've not read every post on this 68 page thread.

From WWTBAM in 2001 for £1000.

Which word specifically links a kind of mammal with an archbishop or high-ranking bishop? a) Carnivore; b) Rodent; c) Primate; d) Marsupial.

Contestant's answer, Marsupial.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RegTumbler wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I've not read every post on this 68 page thread.

From WWTBAM in 2001 for £1000.

Which word specifically links a kind of mammal with an archbishop or high-ranking bishop? a) Carnivore; b) Rodent; c) Primate; d) Marsupial.

Contestant's answer, Marsupial.

I can believe that someone was unfamiliar with the use of the word in one or both contexts. Unless there is a penalty for a wrong answer then it is usually better to guess than just say that you do not know.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I can believe that someone was unfamiliar with the use of the word in one or both contexts. Unless there is a penalty for a wrong answer then it is usually better to guess than just say that you do not know.
    Excuses, no? The penalty for an incorrect answer at that stage is losing all the money you have got so far. I believe the contestant had all three lifelines at that point.

Googling "archbishop marsupial millionaire" brings up 10 hits on the first page, including a YouTube clip.

Edit: Watching the clip now and she is struggling on the first question which has hilariously wrong wrong answers.

Edit #2: Correction: she had already used two of her lifelines before reaching the £1000 question. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Excuses, no? The penalty for an incorrect answer at that stage is losing all the money you have got so far. I believe the contestant had all three lifelines at that point.

Googling "archbishop marsupial millionaire" brings up 10 hits on the first page, including a YouTube clip.

Edit: Watching the clip now and she is struggling on the first question which has hilariously wrong wrong answers.

Edit #2: Correction: she had already used two of her lifelines before reaching the £1000 question. Unbelievable.

Yes, you're right.

This from the BBC News website at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1177266.stm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you're right.

This from the BBC News website at the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1177266.stm
    Yep, That was one of the links that came up on the Google search.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Counterpoint yesterday the contestant was played this track and asked to name the artist from the 1970s responsible for it. The contestant said James Galway, then when told it was wrong said "oh, maybe Jethro Tull then". Maybe flutes sound profoundly different where she comes from :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    On Counterpoint yesterday the contestant was played this track and asked to name the artist from the 1970s responsible for it. The contestant said James Galway, then when told it was wrong said "oh, maybe Jethro Tull then". Maybe flutes sound profoundly different where she comes from :D

Flutes of the FUTURE!!!
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this on 'Think Tank':

Question: What is a 'Blue Peter', after which the long-running children's TV show is named?

Of the think tank, 4 people said 'ship', 3 people said 'flag' and 1 person said 'badge'. I thought "what an idiot for saying badge".

The contestant said something like "I know the majority usually rules but I've got a strong suspicion it's badge" and she opted for that.

Not the most stupid answer but it made me laugh.

The correct answer was:
    Flag.

I was with the majority and thought it was a ship. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the answer is in spoiler tags, more info, for those who didn't already know:
    It's a flag that is hoisted when the ship is about to sail. It's called the Blue Peter because it's blue (doh!) with a white square in the centre, and is the letter 'P'
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea behind using "Blue Peter" as the programme title is that:

<spoiler>when the Blue Peter flag is hoisted the ship is about to set sail on a voyage of discovery.</spoiler>
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willpurry wrote: »
    The idea behind using "Blue Peter" as the programme title is that:

<spoiler>when the Blue Peter flag is hoisted the ship is about to set sail on a voyage of discovery.</spoiler>
    Who doesn't know how to do spoilers then? :D
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the current Lottery quiz last Saturday:

Q: What season is known as "Fall" in America?
    A: July
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Who doesn't know how to do spoilers then? :D

And also what has "voyage of discovery" got to do with anything? It just means "about to set sail".
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Pointless today.

Q. "Name one of the greatest guitarists of all time ? "

A. " Lenny Hendrix ? "

( thanks to a local dj for that one. :) )
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw recently, might have been The Chase, but can't guarantee... 'spurs is the nickname of which football team?'

'West Ham'
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I saw recently, might have been The Chase, but can't guarantee... 'spurs is the nickname of which football team?'

'West Ham'

But that's surely just a wrong answer. A stupid answer would be something like "Ronnie o'Sullivan".
  • Options
    Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    mb@2day wrote: »
    On Pointless today.

Q. "Name one of the greatest guitarists of all time ? "

A. " Lenny Hendrix ? "

( thanks to a local dj for that one. :) )

Is that really a stupid answer? They've just got 2 names mixed up.