Which quiz shows have real or canned laughter ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was watching old repeats of Catchphrase the other day with Mark Curry, the audience is clearly canned there, but on the ones previous with that male presenter I can't remember the name of (not Roy Walker) there was clearly a real audience as they did the super catchphrase in front of them. So why change it ? Does it really cost much to let people sit in the audience of a studio that already has seats in ?

What other quizzes have real audiences ? Does Countdown ? I know obviously Deal or No Deal does.

Comments

• andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Mulhern and Nick Weir have both presented catchphrase.

Countdown isnt canned, I have been offered places in the audience for me and my wife a few times
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless (real audience)
    Goldenballs (real audience)
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    University Challenge and Mastermind both have an audience. And Who Wants To Be A Millionaire did (for fairly obvious reasons...)

Early on in its life Fifteen to One had an audience, but apparently William G Stewart noticed people muttering the answers to each other so he got rid (it was only a small studio), and it was canned thereafter - I always thought it was amusing how he used to come on at the beginning of every show and earnestly "thank" the taped audience for their applause, after waiting for it to die down... Real "method" stuff! :)
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Weakest link Celebrity specials had an audience - I was in one.
    Not sure about the regular shows
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Only Connect definitely does not - although you can hear the crew laughing and making noises in the background
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase (normal shows) dont have an audience i think its canned:confused:
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Only Connect definitely does not - although you can hear the crew laughing and making noises in the background

Can you? :confused:
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Can you? :confused:

Ive heard laughter but i think it is the crew because you can clearly hear a few groans at some of the bad jokes:o
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I took part in Fifteen to One twice in 1995 and again in 2002 and the 'audience' consisted of production staff reading The Daily Mail.
    The episodes being shown on Challenge from the late 80s seem to have an audience in view.
    I don't think the revived incarnation with Sandi T has a studio audience.
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    Ive heard laughter but i think it is the crew because you can clearly hear a few groans at some of the bad jokes:o

I assumed that was just the other team. Doesn't seem the sort of show that would have such a "loose" atmosphere...
  • carriebabycarriebaby Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase doesn't have a audience on the normal show but they do on the Celebrity version, I've been to one, it was recorded in October but we had to pretend it was Xmas, very weird!
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    Stephen Mulhern and Nick Weir have both presented catchphrase.

Countdown isnt canned, I have been offered places in the audience for me and my wife a few times

Dave Spikey has also presented Catchphrase.

As for Countdown, when neither of the contestants can solve the conundrum, Nick Hewer asks whether any of the audience have solved it and the camera shows part of the audience. Also, 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown uses the same studio and has a visible audience.
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dave Spikey didn't do Catchphrase - but he did do the remake of Bullseye.
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Countdown still use a studio audience to be honest. I realise it has a strong fan following, but what with all the episodes they make you'd have thought it would be easier just to dispense with it.

When you appear on the show they plonk you in the audience and let you watch an episode (or some of one) beforehand, and everybody's given scraps of paper and little biros like you get in the bookies, to join in with the rounds. It doesn't half mash your brain when you're about to go on!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't it been said that some audience shows still used canned laughter, sometimes re-using some of their own laughter in places where there was little reaction from the audience? I am sure they have said they do that with applause.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Hasn't it been said that some audience shows still used canned laughter, sometimes re-using some of their own laughter in places where there was little reaction from the audience? I am sure they have said they do that with applause.

It is done on nearly everything with a real audience and has been for at least 30 years. They used to use taped laughter from the reaction to the warm up mans often rather blue jokes, thus legally claiming the laughter came from that actual recording. Nowadays they use Pro Tools, or its equivalent, in post production. Alan Carr's Chatty Man is the worst offender in my opinion.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is done on nearly everything with a real audience and has been for at least 30 years. They used to use taped laughter from the reaction to the warm up mans often rather blue jokes, thus legally claiming the laughter came from that actual recording. Nowadays they use Pro Tools, or its equivalent, in post production. Alan Carr's Chatty Man is the worst offender in my opinion.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I avoid anything with either of the Carrs so never seen that!
  • pad-epad-e Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catchphrase

Roy Walker - Audience
    Nick Weir - Audience
    Mark Curry - No Audience
    Stephen Mulhern - Audience

Daytime versions of The Chase, Tipping Point and 15 To 1 use canned applause/laughter. The celeb versions have an audience.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my own knowledge...

Fifteen-To-One (1992) - Each contestant could take one or two guests to watch
    Brainteaser - No audience, but no claps or laughter either
    1001 Things you should know - Small Audience (50 or so)
    The Chase - No audience. Canned clapping and laughter

I seem to remember that Last of the Summer Wine used to show the episode to a test audience, and then would record their laughter and add it on. Even though it just sounded like 30 minutes of continuous old-people laughing that they turned up or down as required...
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I can back up Johnny's Fifteen To One and Brainteaser experiences of no audience. I did Chain Letters in 1997 and Countdown in 2005 with them. I recorded Rebound last Saturday which like the last series currently being shown will have the canned audience.
  • sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    Yes the chase is very weird since it's implied there is an audience. Where you imagine the audience to be is a black wall, with a flip chart with contestant facts so Bradley can read over your shoulder & make conversation before the cash builder. Not even any empty seats. The 4 contestants sit to the left (Chaser's left) of the chaser if/when they get caught and watch the rest of the taping.
  • SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a general rule, although there may be exceptions, the simplest way to work out if there's a live studio audience, is ask: do you ever see them in shot?

if you never see an audience, there probably isn't one, and the laugh track will be added later in post production. There would be little point in going to the bother of having a studio audience and then never showing them.

Thus, in the celebrity editions of The Chase, you see the audience at the start of the show, at the ad breaks, and behind the celebs when they're doing the cashbuilders.

But in the regular editions, the audience is never seen. Ever. because there isn't one.

The odd thing is that on The Chase's YouTube channel, they have outtakes and bloopers from the show, and you can tell there's no audience, because the laugh track hasn't been added, and all you can hear is a few voices (the crew) in the background laughing when something goes wrong. So it's not like it's a big secret that there isn't an audience. Yet they continue to pretend that there is one.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Bob Monkhouse version of 'Wipeout' showed an audience but it was digitally added.
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    definitely an audience at university challenge, i have been in that audience too, friends and family go near the front, although most dont realise some people in the audience don't know any of the contestants
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope.

He presented Chain Letters