Stamford
    Durham
    Rye
    Sevenoaks
    Lyndhurst
    Sherborne
    Llangollen
    Caernarfon

All of them preferable to *$&%£% Cheltenham ;)

I've lived in two of those and visited eight others. I'll try and get around to the other 6. Once I figure out where they are!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a little disappointed no-one has put Newcastle on here. It is the most beautiful city in the UK, and I travel a lot. It has everything close by, unspoiled natre, the coast, wonderful nightlife

but in terms of towns, I love banchory near aberdeen, It just makes you feel small, the scenery around it is simply breathtaking, I also like StoneHaven, Gosforth in cumbria.

Places to avoid London and Birmingham
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    snellster wrote: »
    Places to avoid London ...

The whole of it?
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's had one for several years. It's one of those John Lewis-wannabe Waitrose Food and Homes that sells lots of non-food items. I don't get this "twee" criticism of Cheltenham though - it's got lots of clone town chain stores and it's got loads of scruffy shops down the wrong end of the high street. The tweeness is limited to select areas which are easy to avoid.

My original post was that it's finally got one, when you'd imagine a 'posh' town would've had one for ages.

I don't think it's very twee. The bloody enormous Primark is far from twee. Some of the shops up at Montpellier are more what visitors would expect, I imagine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    The whole of it?

Yep all of it, especially the M25, it's just too big, unfriendly, impersonal, too touristy it's just too everything
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep all of it, especially the M25, it's just too big, unfriendly, impersonal, too touristy it's just too everything

The M25 is indeed big, unfriendly, impersonal and too touristy but it's hardly typical of London.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Be fair; it's a big motorway. They're not designed to be small and friendly.
    Forum Member

The M25 runs through the home counties and doesn't touch London.

It's our capital city. You don't want it to be a tiny village with a duck pond do you?

People are unfriendly and impersonal because they are busy trying to get to and from somewhere, probably work, so they can contribute to keeping London as the world's premier financial centre and to generating a GVA per capita which is around double that of the UK average. Perhaps if they'd all slow down and just work 4 hours a day they'd hit the UK average and have time to stop and chat about the weather. Suggest that to Boris maybe?

Tourists love London and bring millions of Pounds, Dollars and Euros with them to spend in the UK. That will only increase as our currency continues to weaken and the BRIC economies continue to grow. We should be glad of that. Maybe you can stop and chat to them next time you visit as they have plenty of time?

I wouldn't rank London as one of the UK's nicest towns but I certainly wouldn't expect a third of the UK population to be in and around it if they shared your view.

How is lovely Newcastle, by the way? :)
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    Be fair; it's a big motorway. They're not designed to be small and friendly.

The M25 isn't usually listed as one of London's tourist attractions either... no wonder our Geordie chum was disappointed :(
    Forum Member
    The M25 isn't usually listed as one of London's tourist attractions either... no wonder our Geordie chum was disappointed :(

TBH if I drove down and hit the M25 and thought that was London I'd probably turn back North and never return.
  • dream stuffingdream stuffing Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Actually, quite a few places people have mentioned are cities...:confused:

Yeah, indeed i'd noted that fact too Lol :confused:

Also i'm unsure on what basis are we talkig about "Nice towns" ... eg them being "nice as in nice - for historical/beauty reasons"

Or "nice in general with no trouble etc etc" which probably would exclude every Town in the Country these day's ... let alone every City :confused:: ) Or may-be even "based" on activities like Theatre/Sport/Cinema and shopping facility's etc? :)
  • dream stuffingdream stuffing Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to pick many "Nice towns" I think based on life now, but from a guess based on "history/beauty and general nice-ness" i'd put these Towns on my list!:

Skegness
    Whitby
    Torquay
    Withernsea
    Beverley
    Scunthorpe
    Blackpol
    Fleetwood
    Skipton
    Brighton
    Driffield
    Scarborough
    St Annes
    Lytham St Annes
    Morecambe
    Bournemouth
    Weymouth
    Totnes
    Cleethorpes
    Great Yarmouth
    Huddersfield
    Halifax

Dunno of any others really ...
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gcbus wrote: »
    Cambridge

Towns or cities or both? I am confused - Cambridge is a city.

I can't stand Cambridge for much of the reasons that others have said about Bath. A rubbish city council, even worse county council who can't finish a guided bus scheme, a badly placed retail park and appalling transport. It's too near the fens and too far away from the seaside. Unlike Bath though, we have plenty of Tescos stores - sixteen of them I think on last count and they are all awful, nasty places.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Towns or cities or both?

Lets go with both - towns and cities.
  • spikejspikej Posts: 3,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bath, for all it's downsides, is a fab place to live
    Salisbury
    Exeter
    Truro
    Christchurch, home for 22yrs
    Oxford
    York
    Edinburgh
    Cardiff (centre)
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    London
    York
    Whitby
    Staithes
    Ripon
    Durham
    Berwick
    St Helier
    Keswick
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets go with both - towns and cities.

I'd still say Cambridge isn't brilliant based on living there and would say that having visited both Bristol and Bath often, I'd agree that Bristol is better for facilities. Bath reminds me of Saffron Walden in the 90's - loads of chi-chi gift shops but only Waitrose to buy a pint of milk. All fur coat and no practical knickers :D but it has improved these days a bit.

Totnes and Penzance are great, both have good pubs but I like the honesty of Penzance. Oh and Truro. I have briefly lived in all three but top of the lot is Newcastle my home town.
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Durham
    Alnwick
    Weymouth
    Scarborough
    Aberystwyth
    Windsor
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh
    London

Lived in both and they rock!! Only places I would live in the UK
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    Having a Waitrose doesn't make a town 'twee'; Newark has one!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    St. Ives
    Newquay
    Bournemouth
    Whitby
    Turo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delphia wrote: »
    Having a Waitrose doesn't make a town 'twee'; Newark has one!

Indeed, Aylesbury is getting one soon!