Options

How much longer until VIrgin/Sky make 101/102/103/104 the HD channels?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now we have BBC One HD launching on wednesday, can 101/103/104 be the HD channels? and standard definition channels be higher up?

Say I still did have an older non-HD tv, it would still show the HD channel just in lower definition... so where is the disadvantage in having the HD channels as the default?

I may of course be missing something obvious here so please be kind, I've never posted in broadcasting before :p

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waffles wrote: »
    Now we have BBC One HD launching on wednesday, can 101/103/104 be the HD channels? and standard definition channels be higher up?

Because the five main channels are PSBs and their HD counterparts aren't.

Not a problem with C4 and C5, but the other channels cover regional programmes on the SD versions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But surely in 10 years time it still wont be the case that we have every channel twice... once in SD, and again in HD?? I mean once freeview HD is fully rolled out it will become truely 'standard'?
  • Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    But surely in 10 years time it still wont be the case that we have every channel twice... once in SD, and again in HD?? I mean once freeview HD is fully rolled out it will become truely 'standard'?

A SD DTT receiver can't see HD channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member

DirecTV has a nice system where a channel, say NBC, is on channel 4 for both SD and HD, you just select 'hide SD duplicates' in the guide.
    Don't see why Sky and other providers don't implement the same thing. It makes things so much easier, nearly all my channels are HD now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »

Yeah true, I was thinking of Sky & Virgin Media though :)
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One problem is the regional variations are not on HD and I can't see the Beeb upgrading the likes of East Midlands Today and Look North's studios to the format.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    And an ATT receiver can't see DTT channels. What's your point?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that Sky haven't already put the HD channels in the prime positions on the EPG.

How long until Sky 1 HD on 106, Sky Sports HD1 on 401 and so on?
  • Options
    dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky are apparently consulting with broadcasters about doing this, but to swap 101-105 presumably requires Ofcom approval, and the BBC probably wouldn't be keen without regional variations available on BBC One HD yet.

What they could do is have different EPG lineups for HD and non-HD subscribers.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, or at least a menu option that offers to replace the SD channels where an HD one exists.

This would also mean you could still revert to SD if the HD channel messed up for some reason, such as when a goal is about to be scored.

It is crazy that I am now having to remember that BBC HD is 143, ITV is 178 etc. I'd have thought that BBC and ITV etc would be quite happy to have such an option in the Sky+HD menu.

Mind you, I do get scared about how long it would take Sky to add such an option and the number of bugs they'd introduce in the process, probably resulting in all recorded shows being deleted, all series links failing, new recordings failing....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely a simpler option would be to put all HD channels starting at 201? Easy to remember that 1xx = sd and 2xx=Hd . Yeah, I know, showcase, hitv, syfi+1 etc are already there - but who would care if they got booted to less memorable numbers though? Sky could then implement a "jump to Hd" feature for all 1xx numbers to go to the equivalent channel +100. They could/should also then offer this as a feature in Sky+ recording. They could also put all +1 channels at +200 and link those in the planner when programming a recording to automatically resolve conflicts by offering to shuffle recordings to +1 channels if possible.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    And an ATT receiver can't see DTT channels. What's your point?

I thought ATT wasn't transmitted through a receiver?? From what I remember of it you just had an aerial plugged into the telly, same for analogue cable.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought ATT wasn't transmitted through a receiver??
    "Transmitted through a receiver"? Hmm...
    From what I remember of it you just had an aerial plugged into the telly, same for analogue cable.
    And how do you think the picture got from the signal in the cable to your screen?

Magic?

Or perhaps something received the signal before converting it into audio and video...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    "Transmitted through a receiver"? Hmm...
    And how do you think the picture got from the signal in the cable to your screen?

Magic?

Or perhaps something received the signal before converting it into audio and video...

I was thinking of a receiver as in a set top box like you have for Freeview/cable/satellite. :o I know DTT is through an aerial too but that's plugged into a set top box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking of a receiver as in a set top box like you have for Freeview/cable/satellite. :o I know DTT is through an aerial too but that's plugged into a set top box.
    You only need a set top box to watch DTT on older TVs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    michael777 wrote: »
    You only need a set top box to watch DTT on older TVs.

Right ok... so I guess that means if you buy a new TV with DTT built in and you don't have Sky/Freesat/VM then you just plug the aerial cable into the telly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right ok... so I guess that means if you buy a new TV with DTT built in and you don't have Sky/Freesat/VM then you just plug the aerial cable into the telly.
    Yep :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    michael777 wrote: »
    Yep :)

I was right then :cool: