Resubscribing to TopupTV

2»

Comments

• GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John896 wrote: »
    I just phoned them up and asked did they have any offers for sky sports 1 and 2, and got them as a pack for £14.00 per month.

Aren't they talking about switching the DTT streams off soon though?
  • John896John896 Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Giovan wrote: »
    From what others have said,it might very well be,
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No time soon and even if BT ceases to use them TopUp could take them over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just phoned them up and asked did they have any offers for sky sports 1 and 2, and got them as a pack for £14.00 per month.
    Does it rise after six months?
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

£14 a month? Wow. Because thats less than the wholesale price you've got that for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    No time soon and even if BT ceases to use them TopUp could take them over.

I can't see that. Aren't the transmission costs £10 million or something. Even BT said it was far too expensive for them to keep paying for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    £14 a month? Wow. Because thats less than the wholesale price you've got that for.

Can you use a CI slot in a TV to watch sky sports on DTT?
    Forum Member
    Does it rise after six months?
    I did as the guy on the phone that question he said no it would not,i do wonder if tutv will be here in six months time.
    Forum Member
    I use tutv i-can receiver,not sure about the Ci slot.
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You can use a CI+ slot. Sky won't allow the use of normal CI modules. A list of supported TVs is on the TUTV website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use tutv i-can receiver,not sure about the Ci slot.

Yeah, I have one of those. An excellent HD reciever. The BT Vision Sports subscription card will work in it to access ESPN, but not Sky Sports. Which is what I expected to happen.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »

Yes was thinking that too. The Wholesale price is £19.41 for Sky Sports 1 & 2. That doesn't include VAT which is £23.92.

So TUTV are making a £9.29 loss including VAT :eek:

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/analysts/regulated-prices/
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true i got one of those TUTV i-can receivers in my local tesco for £8.00 clearance,not a bad receiver to be fair.BBC one hd and Channel 4 hd picture looks not to bad.

Good bargain for a HD STB :D
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Very true i got one of those TUTV i-can receivers in my local tesco for £8.00 clearance,not a bad receiver to be fair.BBC one hd and Channel 4 hd picture looks not to bad.
    Good price. Paid £40 for mine, although now broken. Came with ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and 2 for a promotional period, but wasn't interested in having them at regular price at the end of the promo period.

Assuming there are annual contracts between BT and Arqiva (multiplex operator) and Top Up TV (wholesaler) regarding the provision of Sky Sports 1 and 2 on 41 and 42, then these expire just before the start of the next football season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Good price. Paid £40 for mine, although now broken. Came with ESPN, Sky Sports 1 and 2 for a promotional period, but wasn't interested in having them at regular price at the end of the promo period.

Assuming there are annual contracts between BT and Arqiva (multiplex operator) and Top Up TV (wholesaler) regarding the provision of Sky Sports 1 and 2 on 41 and 42, then these expire just before the start of the next football season.

Yes, that tallies with what I thought(ish). As I thought it would be Sept for the cessation of the DTT channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    I can't see that. Aren't the transmission costs £10 million or something. Even BT said it was far too expensive for them to keep paying for them.
    There is a big difference between a company that is trying to survive, and a greedy company. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People have been talking in the Broadcasting forum about the on-demand EPL rights.
    mlt11 wrote: »
    And if BT wins the on demand rights I doubt they'll pay more than approx £10m per year for them either. It's all peanuts compared to the live rights.
    The same goes for the transmission costs - it's peanuts compared to the huge investment in live EPL rights so BT will not be in a rush to switch DTT capacity off if doing so has an adverse impact on viewing figures for its sports channels.
    Forum Member
    I still find it weird that there is a freeview logo,under the sky sports 1 and 2 dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still find it weird that there is a freeview logo,under the sky sports 1 and 2 dog.

Yeah. But thats a separate issue. And theres a whole thread about it on another forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have been talking in the Broadcasting forum about the on-demand EPL rights.
    The same goes for the transmission costs - it's peanuts compared to the huge investment in live EPL rights so BT will not be in a rush to switch DTT capacity off if doing so has an adverse impact on viewing figures for its sports channels.

That isn't what they said. BT said they were switching to multicast because DTT transmission is so expensive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't what they said. BT said they were switching to multicast because DTT transmission is so expensive.
    I did not say it's what BT said. Don't forget that BT has said it will keep its cards close to its chest so as not to give the competition an advantage so you need to factor this in to what you read too.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member

that's there so that they (sky) can distinguish the fact that it's coming from DTT. Supposedly to stop people showing it in pubs.

No logo = Sky Dish
    Embedded Number string bottom left = Virgin Cable
    Pint Logo = Sky Business
    Screen Logo = Sky GO (via a PC / ipad)
    Freeview logo = BT Vision / TUTV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    What symbol will be on Sky Sports delivered over BT IPTV - Mulitcast?