Options

Worst advert on TV at the moment (Part 10)

Comments

• Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Which is from the Boots advert featuring Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat, a song about Homophobia and running away from a small town with its small minded people

Obviously the people who decided to use that song in the advert had no idea of it's meaning and just heard the "runaway" lyric and thought perfect we'll use that while the boy is running down the street

To be fair, the lyrics are pretty subtle. First couple of times I heard it I just assumed it was a song about a boy who was bullied, didn't twig until it became a hit and it all came out, if you'll pardon the expression. One of those 'songs I like by bands I can't be bothered with'.
  • Options
    conceptasconceptas Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Oh, was it a night shift? I thought she was out on the razzle!

It was~:
    him: I made you this wonderful smoked salmon breakfast (aka, I opened a packet of salmon and put it on some bread)
    her: no, I did you it.

her: no, I did you it .. :confused: I don't understand that bit, it doesn't make (grammatical) sense to me ?!
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Just recently seen the Calgon advert with Martyn Lewis - AWFUL :mad: Like a radio ad made for TV with a budget of about £2.50.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is from the Boots advert featuring Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat, a song about Homophobia and running away from a small town with its small minded people

Obviously the people who decided to use that song in the advert had no idea of it's meaning and just heard the "runaway" lyric and thought perfect we'll use that while the boy is running down the street

I listen to songs without really listening to the words. I sometimes hear songs from years back and only just realise they were full of sexual innuendo.:o
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    for... eeeeever... young

:sleep:
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Ultimate Musicals Experience, the perfect gift for Christmas."

If I gave that to anyone in my family they would probably chuck it straight in the bin!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

They tend to do that. They think a song has a catchy lyric and don't do any research.

The BBC used a song on their promos for new technology for renewing the TV license is easy as pushing a button - the song was about nuclear holocaust.
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Birds Eye advert where the weird bear in the freezer pronounces "herb" in the American way (i.e., "erb"), THIS IS BRITAIN!
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,057
    Forum Member
    The Robert Dyas advert for the 'Choc-lit fountain.' :mad: :mad: It's C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E!!
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the TX Maxx adverts with the slowed down facial expressions creepy. Espicially the boy at the end
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conceptas wrote: »
    her: no, I did you it .. :confused: I don't understand that bit, it doesn't make (grammatical) sense to me ?!

Or to anyone else I suspect! Awful, isn't it?

I think the meaning is:
    Him: I did you a breakfast
    her: no, I did YOU a breakfast
    But it could have been so much better if they'd just made them talk a bit more normally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just for a change, one ad I actually like is the Sony 4K TV one, with the multi-coloured confetti blowing down an abandoned street next to a volcano, and the nice song played over it. It's to the point, pertinent, doesn't patronise and looks beautiful. Anyone know what the song is?
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Oh, was it a night shift? I thought she was out on the razzle!

It was~:
    him: I made you this wonderful smoked salmon breakfast (aka, I opened a packet of salmon and put it on some bread)
    her: no, I did you it.

She looks to have on a nurses uniform. Her bf/husband went out. the 'no I did you it' gets on my nerves!!
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lola_skye wrote: »
    I find the TX Maxx adverts with the slowed down facial expressions creepy. Espicially the boy at the end

:D Agreed. And is the boy at the end the blond one in the red jacket? He's so annoying it winds me up. :mad:
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Birds Eye advert where the weird bear in the freezer pronounces "herb" in the American way (i.e., "erb"), THIS IS BRITAIN!

I think the makers of those adverts are so happy that they've got Willem Dafoe, a Hollywood actor, on board that they'll over look the pronunciation!
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure this has already been discussed ad infinitum, but the Be More Dog advert, the o2 one, with the 'always a song in my heart'.

It doesn't work. IT DOES NOT WORK AND SOMEONE MUST MAKE IT STOP! I'm not sure what it is about that advert but it drives me insane that it exists and reams of advertising execs let it happen.

And yes. All the christmas adverts this year. They're revolting. Any more twee and they'd just be a whisp of fluffy gas twirling around a candy cane in a fountain of fairies tears. Horrid.
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lombard wrote: »
    Just for a change, one ad I actually like is the Sony 4K TV one, with the multi-coloured confetti blowing down an abandoned street next to a volcano, and the nice song played over it. It's to the point, pertinent, doesn't patronise and looks beautiful. Anyone know what the song is?

This advert is an update on the old Sony 'Rubber Balls' commerical from around 10 years ago. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_bx8bnCoiU

The idea behind the 'Rubber Balls' advert was that to view the advert in the way the makers intended you would need to have a HD TV (preferably from Sony) and watch the ad in HD, in SD the image of the rubber balls bouncing around San Francisco would be blured (on analogue tv) or a lot of pixeling (on SD Digital TV).

I think the idea behind the new Sony 'Confetti' advert is that 4K is 3-4 times the definition of HD, so to see the advert as the makers intended you need to see it in 4K. -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2DdtkDK7w0

It's also quite interesting how the ad was made, their appears to be no CGI and that it was filmed with confetti (although for some reason they keep refering to the confetti as flowers in this making of video). -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fZ_QVHUa00
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    i HATE the TK Max Christmas advert, the ridiculous, soppy faces, it is so over the top that it makes me sick- WHO on earth agreed that showing a load of annoying people with simpering, dreadfully over-acted slowed down smiles was a good idea for Christmas?? especially that woman who has fake tears in her eyes, get a life!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mindbear wrote: »
    I'm sure this has already been discussed ad infinitum, but the Be More Dog advert, the o2 one, with the 'always a song in my heart'.

It doesn't work. IT DOES NOT WORK AND SOMEONE MUST MAKE IT STOP! I'm not sure what it is about that advert but it drives me insane that it exists and reams of advertising execs let it happen.

And yes. All the christmas adverts this year. They're revolting. Any more twee and they'd just be a whisp of fluffy gas twirling around a candy cane in a fountain of fairies tears. Horrid.

the Be More Dog advert where it says there is a song in it's heart is truly awful, you know a group of smug ad-men thought it was terribly quirky and 'out there' but it is just nonsensical, why would a dog give a toss about o2??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i know this is a bit late, the the Lloyds bank (i think) advert with that awful man who still lives at home at 31- so let me get this straight, you are STILL at home at 31, sponging off your parents, but you have the nerve to complain about the food, the pets, etc, like a little whiny kid... then when you finally move out, WITH some financial help from said parents (they probably threw a party!) you have the nerve to say you 'actually' miss them (they won't miss you) and you condescend to see them once in a while because you 'cant cut the apron strings to soon' this advert says everything about the attitude of entitlement that the banks desperately want you to have, because with this attitude you will borrow and borrow and borrow... a horrible, cynical piece of advertising trying to come across as a bank that wants to help!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platty wrote: »
    there is ..... its available in ball or areshole

i thank you ....... I'm here all week :D

actually made me laugh out loud when i read this! :)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    elena wrote: »
    Christmas season means one thing:

The perfume ads are back :eek: :eek:

Don't know which one it's for (have long forced my brain to forget) but that dratted "I'm not going to be who I'm expected to be anymore" pile of sanctimonious claptrap seems to have been coming round every November for the past 5 years or so. It does my nut in.

I hate to admit it but I rather like that Chanel Bleu one and I don't know why. Perhaps because it's soo pretentiously arty-farty and up its own bum that tips it over into entertaining, And well, I like to look at the bloke too.

BUT on the other hand if I have to hear that ".... la la...(gawd knows what the lyrics are)....its a funny way....dum de dum dum doo da.... anyway.... ah oh OOORRRR!" J'adore by Dior advert once more I really will have a breakdown.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Mcdonalds. I find their ads incredibly cringey, like the one with the old guy smiling at the other guy because they 'both have Mcdonalds in common', or all their crap poetry ads, very irritating, and the way they try to convince you people actually go there just to get coffee and not in fact, heart disease :D
  • Options
    rolergirlrolergirl Posts: 5,205
    Forum Member
    the aldi one where the woman keeps finishing off her friends sentence, and the bloke goes "aldi, is it?" when hes standing under a 40 ft poster!!
  • Options
    .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hate the Virgin cruise ads.....stupid family singing...."Like Christopher Columbus ..if he did yoga.."....makes me cringe!
This discussion has been closed.