Never Let Me Go

Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched this - it was broadcast just before Xmas. Very gripping (in a 'Returned' sort of way). I enjoyed it but am left with 2 questions.

First what was the idea of waving their hand at a sensor every time they left or entered a building.

Second, more generally, why would such clones let themselves be treated like this.

I realise that, like 'The Returned' I may get criticised for expecting logical answers which may go against the point of the movie, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    First what was the idea of waving their hand at a sensor every time they left or entered a building.
    A security measure presumably. Wasn't in the book.
    Second, more generally, why would such clones let themselves be treated like this.

The result of conditioning, which the book is far better at putting across.

NLMG is an okayish film that skims too quickly through the novel, I thought. But then the novel is fantastic. A real heart-stopper and stealth job that stays with you long after you've put it down.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful film. Carey Mulligan is just amazing in this film. She breaks my heart.
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Beautiful film. Carey Mulligan is just amazing in this film. She breaks my heart.

I think her performance in this is up there with the best acting I've ever seen. I cried +++++++ :cry: It's a shame it did not seem to be recognised for any awards/nominations.
  • Apprentice 2 SAApprentice 2 SA Posts: 2,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A security measure presumably. Wasn't in the book.

The result of conditioning, which the book is far better at putting across.

NLMG is an okayish film that skims too quickly through the novel, I thought. But then the novel is fantastic. A real heart-stopper and stealth job that stays with you long after you've put it down.

Thanks for that. I wondered if the book might give more detail.

A related thought. Why does the public think this is acceptable. It was touched upon in the film that people couldn't do without their donations, but it still seems a pretty horrific way to treat people. Which links on to whether the clones can be considered people, which was also mentioned in the film, but it's still unbelievable the way the clones were treated. I realise that's the point of the film, to have that reaction, but I needed more justification for the way the clones were treated / considered not human. Did the book give that?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Great movie. Hidden gem.

Carey Mulligan is the most sympathetic actress I've ever seen.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this film a few months ago and found it pretty boring to be honest. It didn't do anything for me at all.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that. I wondered if the book might give more detail.

A related thought. Why does the public think this is acceptable. It was touched upon in the film that people couldn't do without their donations, but it still seems a pretty horrific way to treat people. Which links on to whether the clones can be considered people, which was also mentioned in the film, but it's still unbelievable the way the clones were treated. I realise that's the point of the film, to have that reaction, but I needed more justification for the way the clones were treated / considered not human. Did the book give that?

You don't think that the film is trying to draw analogies with the way a minority of powerful people actually do treat/exploit the weakest in society? How people are conditioned to accept the role that is set out for them in life? It's not a moral universe unknown to us, as we are seeing more and more cases of modern slavery which we thought was long gone. The film is so bleak, so without hope I find it hard to watch.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise that's the point of the film, to have that reaction, but I needed more justification for the way the clones were treated / considered not human. Did the book give that?

Yes and no, but you should read the book, anyway. The explanation given during the climax in the film is somewhat different from the explanation in the novel, which - for me - carries a heavier impact. I liked the film adaptation as much as I liked the novel, which is helped by believing it's best to treat a novel and a film adaptation as two separate entities that happen to share the same premise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You don't think that the film is trying to draw analogies with the way a minority of powerful people actually do treat/exploit the weakest in society? How people are conditioned to accept the role that is set out for them in life? It's not a moral universe unknown to us, as we are seeing more and more cases of modern slavery which we thought was long gone. The film is so bleak, so without hope I find it hard to watch.

I agree with that. It raises an interesting point when films leave plot holes in order to draw analogies. I would prefer both. Plot holes filled and successful analogies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I loved this film, but loved the novel more because I think the film leaves too many questions unanswered. I always wondered why the clones didn't run, why they never tried to escape
    why after they found out the being in love excuse could never work, they still didn't just run

But imagine that all your life you had been conditioned to think this is your purpose. You've got no-one you can turn to. Most people really don't care about your plight. Attempting to run would seem hopeless. That's what makes the film and book so sad. But also so much more real.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Yes and no, but you should read the book, anyway. The explanation given during the climax in the film is somewhat different from the explanation in the novel, which - for me - carries a heavier impact. I liked the film adaptation as much as I liked the novel, which is helped by believing it's best to treat a novel and a film adaptation as two separate entities that happen to share the same premise.

I've found a summary which I think helps fill in the gaps in the film, when combined with Johnny Clay's earlier comment "The result of conditioning, which the book is far better at putting across."
    •Tommy and Kathy have a long Q&A session with Miss Emily. If you ask us, it's about time they get some answers about their strange existence.
    •Q: Kathy asks if the rumors about deferrals are true. Even just a little bit true?
    •A: Miss Emily tells her that they are not. And our hearts sink.
    •Q: Tommy steps in: Were the rumors about deferrals ever true?
    •A: Nope. Miss Emily says that even before Hailsham closed and before something called the "Morningdale scandal" there was never ever the option of getting a deferral.
    •Q: Tommy wants to know why Madame took their best art away. Was it for her Gallery?
    •A: Miss Emily tells them that Madame did have a gallery, of sorts. What's left of the gallery is in the house they currently sit in.
    •Q: But that still doesn't answer why Madame took away the students' best art. Also, Kathy wants to know why they bothered teaching Hailsham students to produce art if they are just going to give donations and die. Why bother teaching Hailsham students at all?
    •A: Miss Emily tells them that Tommy was partially right when he said that Madame took their art to reveal their souls. But the truth is even more shocking than that: "we did it to prove you had souls at all" (22.19). Now that's just cold.
    •Q: Kathy wants to know why on earth that needs to be proven. After all, it seems pretty obvious to her that she has a soul.
    •A: Miss Emily says that in the beginning, clones were just part of medical science. No one really thought about their welfare at all. But then people like Miss Emily and Madame came out of the woodwork to start Hailsham, and a couple similar schools were started as well. They wanted to prove that clones deserved decent living conditions and could be just like ordinary people. Or at least they could be ordinary until that whole organ donations thing had to start.
    •By the late '70s, a decent amount of support had grown for these humane efforts. They would hold big events where they'd display the clones' artwork, hoping to prove just how human the students really were. By the way, Miss Emily insists on calling them students, with a great deal of emphasis, instead of clones.
    •Q: Kathy asks why anyone would want to treat them poorly. It just doesn't make sense to her.
    •A: Miss Emily explains that the first breakthroughs in medical science happened in the early 1950s. The discoveries happened quickly, and people were excited. In fact, people were so excited that most didn't really consider the ethics behind growing these students with the sole purpose of harvesting their organs.
    •Eventually, it was just impossible to turn back the clock. People liked having cures for their diseases, and weren't going to go back to a time when their own health was more at risk. So people just tried their best to ignore the fact that clones were behind their cures. And they pretended that clones weren't really people.
    •Then the pro-clone movement started. Miss Emily, Madame, and some others fought for clone rights, but all they could really hope to achieve was better lives for the clones before beginning donations. And until the "Morningdale scandal" they at least achieved those goals.
    •Q: Kathy asks what this whole "Morningdale scandal" refers to. And we're grateful because we've been dying to know.
    •A: Miss Emily gives the history. This dude named James Morningdale was trying to figure out a way for humans to have super-human children. Basically, he wanted all children to be genetically superior "Captain America" types. This really freaked people out. If a new generation of kids could be engineered to be smarter and better than those already living, what would happen to those regular humans already slumming it on earth?
    •So even though Morningdale wasn't trying to engineer a superior version of humans for donations, the whole thing turned the public opinion even further against the pro-clone movement. The idea of engineered beings became something dangerous. It was easier to ignore clones than bring them up like bona fide human beings who could think for themselves.
    •Q: Tommy wants to double-check that there really are no deferrals. None at all?
    •A: Miss Emily says there's nothing to be done, except for them to live the life that's set for them.
    •Q: Tommy and Kathy both want to know if any of this relates to Miss Lucy. Does all this stuff have something to do with why she left?
    •A: Miss Emily explains the circumstances of Miss Lucy's departure. Miss Lucy—who Miss Emily calls Lucy Wainright—thought that students should be told more about the future that was set out for them. This was problematic because the whole idea behind Hailsham was that it was better to shelter the students from the truth. And if that meant lying to them sometimes, then that was okay because it gave students a childhood and some form of happiness (and no ability to fight for themselves, Shmoop might add).
    •According to Miss Emily, this is why students like Tommy and Kathy could get into their art and enjoy their lessons. If they knew the end was such a bleak one, what would have been the point? So Miss Lucy was fired to protect their innocence.
    •The Q&A session ends when Miss Emily must go help Madame move a small cabinet. Madame has been making weird interjections throughout the Q&A, while also helping the moving men to remove the small cabinet from upstairs. Apparently Madame and Miss Emily have gone into debt trying to save Hailsham, and now they are selling off some personal belongings as a result.
    •But before Miss Emily departs entirely, Kathy tells Miss Emily that Madame was always afraid of them. Miss Emily says that they were all scared and disgusted by the students (that seems a little rude!), but they still did the right thing and fought for the students' welfare.
    •Tommy and Kathy leave the house, without the deferral they were hoping for. When they encounter Madame on the front pavement, Madame says that she remembers Kathy.
    •Kathy reminds Madame of the time Madame saw her singing and dancing to "Never Let Me Go." Madame says that Kathy must be telepathic, because that is exactly what Madame was thinking of. According to Madame, even today when she hears that song she thinks of the Hailsham girl dancing in her room.
    •But it turns out Kathy and Madame weren't imagining the same thing while little Kathy was dancing to the Judy Bridgewater track. Kathy tells Madame how she was imagining holding a baby.
    •Madame, in contrast, was imagining a little girl clinging to an old world while a new harsh world of medical advances was rapidly coming. To be fair, it probably would've been impossible for little Kathy to have such a complex thought, especially since she wasn't entirely aware of all the medical advances that led to her existence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this film, but loved the novel more because I think the film leaves too many questions unanswered. I always wondered why the clones didn't run, why they never tried to escape
    why after they found out the being in love excuse could never work, they still didn't just run

But imagine that all your life you had been conditioned to think this is your purpose. You've got no-one you can turn to. Most people really don't care about your plight. Attempting to run would seem hopeless. That's what makes the film and book so sad. But also so much more real.

That's very true. The film did make it clear there was no one to turn to to get answers. At the cottage all they had was a delivery driver.
    Forum Member
    That's very true. The film did make it clear there was no one to turn to to get answers. At the cottage all they had was a delivery driver.

But my goodness. That last scene.
    Kathy just looking out over the fields. It's heartbreaking. The hopelessness.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting those q&a's. They were interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But my goodness. That last scene.
    Kathy just looking out over the fields. It's heartbreaking. The hopelessness.

I agree. And we as an audience felt that tiny stage by tiny stage as the full horror was revealed.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ..but I needed more justification for the way the clones were treated / considered not human. Did the book give that?
    As answered above, inded it does. But, as also answered prior, the book perhaps works best as a mirror to our times.

The book is also more expansive on other themes, some familiar to Kazuo Ishiguro's previous novels: The power of memory, the passage of time, the preciousness (and consequences) of small things and small acts. All collude to provide the novel with the sort of subtle emotional punch the film can only sparsely match.

However, one thing that did surprise me about the film was Kiera Knightley. Her unquestioning acceptance of her fate was very well played. A solitary moment of her weakened self struggling through a door captures the book superbly.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with that. It raises an interesting point when films leave plot holes in order to draw analogies. I would prefer both. Plot holes filled and successful analogies.

The plot holes are not essential for the story and the emotional impact of the film. In fact I'm not sure there are any plot holes.
    The idea that the clones don't try to escape is about conditioning, the lie about deferring is an analogy with so many deceptions that keep people in their place, it's perfect! It reminds me of Logan's Run and Elysium.

The film raises questions about the nature of being human (and inhuman), the nature of selfishness, self-interest, science without ethics, the mind/body duality. It covers a lot of areas but it is essentially about the existential nightmare of what if life has no meaning?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was quite good.
    But I felt like it had something missing.

I would have preferred more exploration of some of the themes. It felt a bit light in that regard.
    I enjoyed the scenes at the boarding school, but I couldn't help wanting them to explore those themes a bit more. I was left wanting.

I felt as though that final sequence of Kathy at the field under the tree was spoonfeeding a bit too much.
    I think that sometimes films shouldn't literally spell things out, as I think by the end of the film people would liken the lives of the clones with our own lives anyway. No need to spell it out so literally in the voiceover. If you have to literally tell the audience what they should conclude from the story then it's as though you're not confident with the material you've just shown.
    I think that's when voiceover narration can be used badly.
    However at the same time it was heartbreaking to see her cling on to some glimmer of hope.

I don't think that the idea is very orignal either, so I think I would have preferred something in there to hold it up a bit more, as it felt like the 'weepie' elements were often overused at the expense of going a bit deeper with other aspects. But some of the sad scenes were pitch perfect. In particular Kathy and the lad showing the artwork in the hope of obtaining a deferral. Very effective scene.

I felt it lacked in some way I find hard to put my finger on, but still a well made engaging film with good performances though.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

Absolutely. The allegorical aspect hinting towards real life society, authority, and systems of power was one of the elements of the film I was aware of throughout.
    What I liked about that was that it remained as subtext, as opposed to the scene at the end which I felt was spoonfeeding far too much, which I referred to in my previous post.

I have no doubt that the choice of using a farm in the mid-section of the film was very deliberate in terms of subtext.