Red Warning for Wales & NW England issued

Comments

• GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rains eased here, and brightened up a bit, but the winds also ramped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im up north and it sounds pretty bad here. Need to go out later, so to protect my quiff, I have had to use more hairspray than usual. Hair is going to look very stiff, but no one wants a messy quiff! This thing is going to be wind-proof.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    RAF Valley has gusted to 73 mph

Also, Shoreham on S coast has reached nearly 70mph

And Aberdaron (Lleyn peninsula) has gusted to 106 mph - may be a clifftop site.

EDIT

Looks on the rainfall radar like a Sting jet on the backbent occlusion :o touching Aberdaron as the wind peaked there. We may be able to follow its progress north on tha radar.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

EDIT

Looks on the rainfall radar like a Sting jet on the backbent occlusion :o touching Aberdaron as the wind peaked there. We may be able to follow its progress north on tha radar.
    Never heard of that, I looked it up...interesting..thanks, sounds like what caused those damaging gusts in the great storm of 1987
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    Your flippancy will seem ill advised if fatalities occur>:(

I hope not as i appear to be in the red zone... it's a little bit windy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    we have a red warning on us ( north wales coast, which got flooded beginning of December, houses still being sorted out and residents still not in houses..skips are still out there :()
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Bloody nora, winds are back with vengeance here. Just seen my first wheelie bin making a bid for freedom. :)
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    92 MPH in Mumbles
    And we have been getting gusts over 80 MPH here in Llanelli.
    the wheelie bin has gone on a lovely tour of the Garden and reports some trees have fallen on cars around the town.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely horrendous here in East Lancashire!

Just been out with the dog and had to turn back, nearly got blown off the bridge over the motorway....It's a 100 foot drop :o

A tree has come down partially blocking a road near my house!

Still trying to dry off!
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

EDIT

Cousin has a caraven right next to RAF Valley. They lost one years ago because of the wind at the same site.

I went camping in Aberdaron years ago, the camp site was on top of a cliff overlloking the sea, gorgeous view but so exposed.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I hope not as i appear to be in the red zone... it's a little bit windy.

Lol the great gift of British understatement, love it. Stay dry;-)
  • RobRob Posts: 4,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lincoln can't seem to make up it's mind whether it wants to try and imitate Typhoon Haiyan or settle for a light breeze. One minute it's reasonably calm and the next there's an insanely fierce gust. And we're not even in the red area!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Just seen my first wheelie bin making a bid for freedom. :)

i just but a brick on the lid of mine as its bin night and lid blowing open :( always windy on bin night :o
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it can't make it's mind up here in worthing , it was pretty windy and rainy earlier but it has calmed right down with just a few mild gusts every now and again
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester where I am is so windy its terrifying the noise the winds makes :o
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manchester where I am is so windy its terrifying the noise the winds makes :o

Same location. It's blowing my curtains about through what must be small gaps at the edge of my windows and yep, it's rather loud!
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All fine here aside the snow

I'm unsure to why 100mph + gusts equal a red warning but gusts of 114mph in Durham last November were only amber?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its terrible here and the lights keep flickering, hope to god that the elecy stays on :(
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry:WERE ALL GOING TO DIE :cry:
    :(:(:(:(
    :confused::confused:
    :o
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Same location. It's blowing my curtains about through what must be small gaps at the edge of my windows and yep, it's rather loud!

Its scary isnt it :o
  • stu64stu64 Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    I work as a meter reader and really hated these last 1/2 months of constant stormy weather. Today was horrible in Manchester, so windy and the rain was freezing against my face.

Not a job for winter!
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »

I'm unsure to why 100mph + gusts equal a red warning but gusts of 114mph in Durham last November were only amber?

Don't know but it's an interesting question. Presumably there are factors other than just wind speed dictating the level of warning issued, perhaps in combination with the saturated ground there is a much higher danger of trees coming down in these winds for example. Or maybe they just weren't expecting the Durham winds to be as extreme as they were.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OldTrout wrote: »
    We're right on the coast between Blackpool & Fleetwood - opposite the sea wall. The wind has veered to the SW now and we've just received a flood alert for between 8 & midnight tonight. Low-lying coastal areas in danger of flooding.

Sounds as if you're quite close by my friend who lives near the sea in Cleveleys.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »

Do you have a link to that gust being recorded by a reliable site?
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    Don't know but it's an interesting question. Presumably there are factors other than just wind speed dictating the level of warning issued, perhaps in combination with the saturated ground there is a much higher danger of trees coming down in these winds for example. Or maybe they just weren't expecting the Durham winds to be as extreme as they were.

I did wonder, unless it means sustained gusts because I think they only recorded about 10 gusts at that speed.

I was in the Cathedral at the time and the place was rocking...