Options

Outnumbered new series - starts Friday 2nd September BBC1 9pm

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another great episode. I thought all were good.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    The school wouldnt keep Karen back without notice either.
    Despite all this, love the show and good to see Rebecca front and the bloke off the Simpson's
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the garage receptionist:

"They're tinkering with something"
    "Did they say what they're tinkering with?"
    "No. The guys don't like to confuse me with technical bollocks."
  • Options
    shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode highlighting the problems we face with day to day communication - this series is pretty good, I wish there were more.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minus seven degrees, snow, and a bank holiday on Monday?

Is it Christmas, Easter or a very cold May?:confused:
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode highlighting the problems we face with day to day communication - this series is pretty good, I wish there were more.

It must be one of the best episodes ever, managed to cover so many topics all interconnected. It shows they could continue if they wanted even if only an annual Christmas episode.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when was it a crime to leave an 11 year old in a house alone ?

That's the same garage that I use, they phone up and say my car will be ready at 3pm, and after an hour hanging around, at 4.30pm it's still not effing ready.

I'm convinced it's a massive in-joke by garage employees to f*** us about.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    Loved the garage receptionist:

"They're tinkering with something"
    "Did they say what they're tinkering with?"
    "No. The guys don't like to confuse me with technical bollocks."

Having spent quite some time waiting to collect my car from it's MOT this afternoon I really identified with this bit!
    And I'm going to be using the brilliant phrase 'technical bollocks' in future that's for sure...
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Minus seven degrees, snow, and a bank holiday on Monday?

Is it Christmas, Easter or a very cold May?:confused:

Could be Easter last year, there was still snow around (up north anyway) at the end of March and frosts everywhere.
    lundavra wrote: »
    It must be one of the best episodes ever, managed to cover so many topics all interconnected. It shows they could continue if they wanted even if only an annual Christmas episode.

It was certainly an improvement, best of the series so far. Yes, far fetched at times, but hey that's poetic licence for you! :D

And best of all is that finally, Karen was allowed to be the real Karen, in a broadly believeable situation and with more meaningful interactions and a better link with her previous character, I was hoping they'd do this, and well done Ramona.

I agree that it demonstrates (to me for the first time) that there is the potential to do more episodes after this series.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,894
    Forum Member
    Best episode of the series so far tonight, loved Ben and the cold caller and Karen's little "chat" with the head teacher - "that'll save an OFSTED visit":D

AS for the weather & time of year. In the plumbers there was a poster on the door for the circus, that showed September dates so I'm guessing it must have been the Bank Holiday weekend end of August except there wouldn't have been no snow and the kids wouldn't have been in school:confused:
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the same garage that I use, they phone up and say my car will be ready at 3pm, and after an hour hanging around, at 4.30pm it's still not effing ready.

I'm convinced it's a massive in-joke by garage employees to f*** us about.
    Last time I went to collect my car, after being told it was all ready to pick up, I had to wait as they were "just putting the bonnet back on".

Strange definition of ready to pick up. :D
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when was it a crime to leave an 11 year old in a house alone ?
    It isn't but the Brockmans, like everyone, sometimes fall prey to urban myths.

Legally there is no age at which a child can be left alone, it says that parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised "in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health".

The mis-remembered 11 cut off is from the NSPCC who suggest that "children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time". That's only a suggestion of course, and also doesn't define what "a long period of time" is. :D
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I agree that it demonstrates (to me for the first time) that there is the potential to do more episodes after this series.

Maybe the more positive response to this series will encourage the writers to change their mind about this being the last series.

Or it may be that they only decided to do this series to get the programme back on track after the more negative reaction to series 4. Maybe if series 4 had been well received, we wouldn't have got a series 5.

There's talk of one-off episodes to follow this series. The first one might be based around Jake leaving to go to university.
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a brilliant episode tonight.

The so-called joy of mobile communications for all (or not) were demonstrated excellently in this.

Karen's 23-point complaint was handled superbly by the head, and her offer to make tea for everyone at home was great!

I'm sure that this series has been much more scripted than the earlier series', but it's just as good and wonderfully enjoyable.

Do hope we'll see more at some point.
  • Options
    AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved tonight's episode, very good indeed!
  • Options
    Inseriousity.Inseriousity. Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    LOL PETE HAS MY PHONE. Can't hear a bloody thing, I just text everyone.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the IT guy at the end having to hold 2 phones up for the Skype session and then bring them to face each other so the 2 guys could communicate!
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree there's definitely lots left in this. I actually think the 1-off episodes have tended to be weaker than the series.

Thought that was Karen's best episode of the series.

I liked the 'less illegal' line and lots of other bits. Great episode!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best episode of the series by a long way. By breaking with the usual format it shows that there is still life left in this.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It certainly illustrated the sheer hell caused by escalating mobile phone dependency.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that I wasn't going to like the new series, with the children growing up, but Ben in particular is still very funny. Even Jake amuses me now when I wasn't bothered about him before.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I was a bit dubious when it was announced that Outnumbered was going to come back for a 5th series, because I thought the first 4 series were brilliant and that it had come to a natural place to stop. I thought it might be a bit awkward with the children older.

But this series has been equally brilliant! And this week was very good. S5 E5 and S5 E3 will go down in history as excellent classic episodes alongside my favourite which is S3 E6.

Tyger and Dan have evolved to become even better actors than they were already; I sort-of agree that Ramona is a bit less impressive than in previous series. I suspect it's a flaw in the scripts rather than in Ramona's own ability.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Myself, my hubby and our 13 year old son are all loving this series, I really don't want it to be the last one. I want to see how Ben handles having a girlfriend, I want to see if Karen ever gets less self centred and makes friends. My Family dealt with kids growing up and having their own kids, although the quality did deteriorate over the last few series, so maybe Outnumbered should go out 'on top'. But I hope this series is not the last we see of them.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good episode last night - loved Rebecca Front as the head teacher.
    "And that rebellious girl, did she go on to become a headteacher?"
    "No - she was expelled and ended up in prison. She found out the rules did apply to her after all"
    :D
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,894
    Forum Member
    I think that what worked so well last night was the fact that all 5 family members had their own story line and each ran independent of the others but all were interactive - does that make sense ?

Just went to prove that they work just as well with other actors as with each other.

Genuinely loved it and will re-watch again at the weekend.:)