Breakfast, lunch and dinner or breakfast, dinner and tea?

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are civilised round here.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, a proper dinner, when i wake [around midnight] is my hungriest time of day, it seems natural.
    Ah - I have to have been up for an hour or two before I can eat anything.

We only name these meals and eat them in a particular order due to societal norms anyway.

The poorest in the world who get the same old starch-based stuff every meal just call it 'food'
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Same ;)

W I heritage no doubt.

WI as in the West Indies?! Doh make joke!
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    WI as in the West Indies?! Doh make joke!
    Yes - not the Women's Institute :D

The thing you posted about tea caught my eye ;)
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a hobbit?

Just a massive Tolkein fan, and he provided me with an apt name for my meal regimen. First breakfast is what I'm having now, a 4-egg omelette with a NATO standard coffee. Then in about 30 minutes I'll drive to work (~2 hours) and at about 09:00 the sandwich lady comes around and takes the orders. I usually have sausage, cheese and tomato on white bread (toasted) which is second breakfast. :)
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    breakfast dinner tea.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch, dinner... Occasionally they'll be brunch. Tea is a drink, not a meal.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That thread on whether midnight is the start of the next day or the end of the previous day has reminded me of the somewhat contentious topic, going by how it has gone down on here before, of the naming of the three main meals in a typical day.

It's been a while since we last attempted to settle this pressing issue so I feel it's time for the next round. :D

Do you say breakfast, dinner and tea or is it breakfast, lunch and dinner? Or even breakfast, lunch and tea? Maybe you can't quite make up your mind?

I'm in the "breakfast, dinner and tea" camp myself.

Dinner is a hot meal to me - meat and two vegt - regardless of when it's eaten
    Tea is a cold, late afternoon or early evening meal, such as sandwiches & cake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, dinner and tea for me. Breakfast, lunch and dinner for both my husband (as he is southern) and my mum (as she is northern but does her best to pretend that she is posh and I think this is one of the things she feels obliged to do).
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tea is only a meal in the "high tea" sense, and I only have that on holiday.

Actually, my holiday eating goes: breakfast (toast and tea first thing), brunch (full English when OH finally stirs himself, lunch (although this is optional, we sometimes miss this one), tea (especially in Devon or Cornwall, I never miss the chance of a proper cream tea) and dinner.

Astonishingly, I always come back from holiday weighing a few pounds less than before I went. Maybe fresh air speeds up the metabolism.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner then tea.

Though I usually don't eat a breakfast, so it's just dinner and tea. Oh and then supper for bed.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper (at about 7pm), Dinner on a Sunday as it is normally earlier at 5.30-6pm and Sunday Supper doesn't sound right. Tea to me is Sandwiches, Cakes etc and is taken at about 3.00pm .
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner and tea. Only posh people call dinner "lunch" and tea "dinner". Dinner is obviously the correct word for the the midday meal FFS, why do you think they are called "school dinners" rather than " school lunches" :D;-)
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before moving here, it was breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Tea was a hot drink, not a meal.

My husband (and probably locals) refer to the evening meal as 'tea', and the noon meal as 'dinner'. 'Supper' is an evening snack or light meal (my step-son seems to be the only person I know who has this). So I guess we're in the breakfast-dinner-tea camp.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner and tea. Only posh people call dinner "lunch" and tea "dinner". Dinner is obviously the correct word for the the midday meal FFS, why do you think they are called "school dinners" rather than " school lunches" :D;-)

Perhaps, but people also refer to 'bagged lunch' or 'packed lunch' if you bring it from home. Are they posh?:D My experience is that school dinners are more expensive than bringing your own.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner, except on Sundays when it's breakfast, dinner and tea.

Dinner to me is the main meal of the day whenever I eat it.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, lunch and dinner in my view. Calling lunch "dinner" seems very odd, and naming dinner as "tea" seems nonsensical. It's not a drink, it's a meal.

I also can't abide the word "supper" either. Afternoon tea makes sense when referring to a cream tea or high tea serving, but "tea" to signify dinner is just bizarre. I take "brunch" sometimes, however not on a regular basis.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner and tea. I grew up with those terms because you have your dinner at dinner time and tea at teatime so it's just confusing when people say they're having their lunch at dinner time and dinner at teatime, it's pointless confusion.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner, tea. Anything eaten after 10pm is supper.

Although I often don't bother with breakfast before work and have elevenses instead.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aye.

breakfast, dinner and tea.
    remember, it was school dinners, and then home for tea.

never had lunch until I was over 30, I think.

mind you, the French are good with food, and they definitely have
    petit dejeuner, dejeuner, and diner
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    My meals :

Breakfast, Brunch, Elevenses, Lunch, Twelvses, St Matthew's Meal, Apres Lunch, Tea, Dinner, Supper, Midnight Feast, 2am Snack.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's breakfast, lunch and tea. Calling tea dinner seems to be more of an English thing. If you go out for high tea, then it's (I think) traditionally done more on a Sunday and it consists of a main meal accompanied with toast, scones and a selection of cakes. It is usually served from lunchtime until later in the afternoon. I do think it's more of a Scottish tradition as I can't recall seeing it that often when I lived in Kent. Whereas it's quite common north of the border.

Something that really does my head in is when cafes and restaurants stop serving breakfast later in the morning. A breakfast is a meal you have when you break your fast and shouldn't really be considered a morning only meal. There are times when I don't eat until later in the morning and would like to have something like a sausage and egg roll when I go out, but can't because the place has stopped serving them. I would rather have something like that instead of a bowl of soup or a toastie.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast, dinner and tea. I grew up with those terms because you have your dinner at dinner time and tea at teatime so it's just confusing when people say they're having their lunch at dinner time and dinner at teatime, it's pointless confusion.

To me this time of day is lunchtime so I'm about to eat my lunch (every school I ever went to and the school that my son goes to refer to it as lunchtime too) and then this evening at about 6pm it will be dinner-time when I eat my dinner... Not exactly confusing.
  • Its-GillianIts-Gillian Posts: 3,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breakfast
    Dinner
    Tea
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've never met anyone who calls a midday meal 'dinner' and an evening meal 'tea' I actually thought that was a posh thing. Stereotypical English people on American TV shows will call an evening meal 'tea'

Ir is it a regional thing? Do northerners call a midday meal 'dinner' because I've never heard it in london