Options

Salamander-BBC4 Pace - Belgium Crime thriller

Comments

• Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I'm afraid you have to endure another week after this one.
    Philip Pullman: "The Bridge had a richness of characterisation that kept it continually surprising, whereas Salamander was a boxful of cliches".
    Whoever Philip Pullman is, he sounds like a pretentious ****.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Whoever Philip Pullman is, he sounds like a pretentious ****.
    Would have been a very good idea to find out who he is before posting that.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm enjoying it as much as I did with the Bridge......
  • Options
    Jim_SJim_S Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid you have to endure another week after this one.
    Philip Pullman: "The Bridge had a richness of characterisation that kept it continually surprising, whereas Salamander was a boxful of cliches".

I sort of actually agree with that despite not really having a problem with Salamander

I haven't really found any sort of character that I care about in this show, even Gerardi compared to The Bridge where I liked the two main characters but I was also invested in some of the background ones. With things like Spiral and Braquo which are examples of foreign language shows I've seen, I was invested in the characters rather than the storyline which is pretty much wafer thin in Braquo anyway. Salamander is a good show but it's nowhere near the shows I've mentioned
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Well I'm enjoying it as much as I did with the Bridge......
    Well said!

I never saw The Bridge (if I did I can't remember), couldn't care less about it in comparison to this and am getting a bit fed up with hearing about it.

People moaning that Salamander isn't good, well, it isn't yet the law to watch it.

I am enjoying it, and I'm not comparing it to anything.
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why make the comparison? The Bridge stands on its own, a tour de force.
    Salamander gives us...at the moment unlikely seqways into ello ello and Grange Hill. :o
    ( I must have missed an episode) Its hokum and entertainment, and the thought of an undercover organisation being in control of the Belgium government is akin, as regards excitement, to the same thing in your local parish council.
    Perhaps a 'View with Irony' caption needs to be displayed at the start.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Vincent Noel own a wardrobe of shiny Eastern European pimp suits??
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've seen The Bridge, you will remember it lol.

Salamander is good, not as watertight as The Bridge, but i'm enjoying the Resistance backstory.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Final next week, looking forward to that (in a good way, to find out how it all ties together, not because it's ending!).
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Would have been a very good idea to find out who he is before posting that.
    I know who he is and would not disagree with that opinion of him.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19Nick68 wrote: »

He must go through a lot of hair gel
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As soon as the Public Prosecutor found out his office had been searched, he told Gerardi to leave his hotel as his cover could be blown and he could be in danger. Why did neither of them worry about whether Sofie might be in danger too? Can that school really be as safe as they seem to think it is?

And I still think that keeping their own first names and telling everyone that Paul's wife / Sofie's mother died recently are not good ways of maintaining false identities.
  • Options
    19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    As soon as the Public Prosecutor found out his office had been searched, he told Gerardi to leave his hotel as his cover could be blown and he could be in danger. Why did neither of them worry about whether Sofie might be in danger too? Can that school really be as safe as they seem to think it is?

And I still think that keeping their own first names and telling everyone that Paul's wife / Sofie's mother died recently are not good ways of maintaining false identities.

That is one strange boarding school. Everything seems to be banned coupled with a non existent uniform policy. Short skirts, heels, pierced lips and hoop earrings are the norm.

Those crazy Belgians!!
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overnights:

e9: 852k (3.9%)
    e10: 785k (4.02%)

K
  • Options
    belmontbabebelmontbabe Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it although Sofie is clearly 25
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do we know what will replaced Salamander after next week??
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Do we know what will replaced Salamander after next week??
    see post #228...

K
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is desperately poor. It's clear 12 episodes was far too many and the big hurrah can't come soon enough.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm mildly enjoying it but the great, glaring, desperate plot device I'm having difficulty with is Gerardi and Sophie accidentally meeting up with daughter and granddaughter of the 'baddie'. Coincidence? Bah! :D

But even so, I'll watch it next week.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying it although Sofie is clearly 25

I don't think she looks anywhere near that age - you can tell she has young skin. I'd estimate the actress is no more than 20.

*Edit* I knew I would be right - I'm good with ages. Just Googled and found an article dated March 2013 in which it states she was 17 at that stage:

http://www.humo.be/humo-archief/231999/jonge-leeuwen-violet-braeckman-17-actrice-in-salamander
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the ending will be disappointing. Too many coincidences.

Some of the characters are not believable either (especially, that Vincent Noel guy).

I'll watch it to the end but honestly, it is just an OK-ish show. The only reason I keep watching is because I enjoy some "cultural education" every Saturday night.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    19Nick68 wrote: »

If this had been set in the UK, he'd have been the perfect East End villain! I can only hope that he gets his just deserts especially after arranging for the murders of public prosecutor Persigal and his loyal secretary, Yolande.

I'm also with Normandie above - the coincidental meeting with Gil Wolfs' daughter was perhaps stretching credibility a bit too far but I'll see how things go. I do have a theory about why Wolfs is going after Salamander members and is trying to destroy that organisation:
    After the British drop of cash to fund the resistance movement, Jonkhere Snr. murders Gil Wolfs' father to frame him and to keep the money, get rich and then found Bank Jonkhere and the Salamander mutual advancement group. Now that Gil Wolfs is grown up, wealthy and retired, he's going on a mission of total payback vengeance against Jonkhere Jnr. and the current members of Salamander which is kind of understandable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Been realy enjoying this, been great to watch. Cant wait for the fianle. BBC4 is a oasis in a dessert of dross.

:)
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hoping the shiny suited naughty boy Vincent Noel goes man o mano with Mr Evil ( whose name I can't remember. You know Mr Evil - the one who engaged in post-coital strangulation). Given the situation I'm surprised that none of the protagonists seem to anticipate danger - very teen horror movies lol. Silly old Persigal not to have covered his ass with a kill me and suffer the consequences plan! Hopefully thick as shit Geralidi will now put the pieces together and Gils Wolf will turn out to be a good guy getting revenge for the framing of his father by Jonkhere senior. Paul, Sophie and Patricia get an happy ending. :D
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting to be a bit of a trudge now. Cut in half it would have been quite pacey but it`s dragging......

Whoever signed off on Vincent Noel`s suit and hair deserves a slap. Or several.