Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Why does someone being older than you mean that they need an honorary title? Why is someone more worthy of respect than someone else just because of the years in which they happened to be born? And besides, I don't think that that does equate to respect. I show respect for people through my manner and the way in which I speak to them, not by what I refer to them as. I think that that is just a false perception of respect.

Because they have m$ore lofe experience, have usually 'been there and done that' with most situations or problems that children will encounter. And alson like it or not, are in a position of authority over children, parents, teachers, carers that parents appoint will sometimes give instructions that have to be followed for the child's own good whether the child understands and respects it or not.

I seem to have the complete opposite view to you in that I believe EVERYBODY no matter what their age difference to yourself (older, younger, same) deserves basic respect until such time as they do something to prove they don't warrant it.

Maybe I'm being influenced by being raised a teacher but frankly most of my friends family dynamics are / were exactly the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Changing the subject slightly, after all that chatter about Julian Glover a few days ago, I see he is in the cast list for Holby in 2 weeks time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I'm looking at things in the wrong way but I just get the feeling that's the route they are gonna go down with Zosia/Jesse as John Michie said during an interview somebody was gonna come between Guy and Zosia so that could make sense.

I think it could be interesting, I really like Jesse already!
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    LooCY91 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm looking at things in the wrong way but I just get the feeling that's the route they are gonna go down with Zosia/Jesse as John Michie said during an interview somebody was gonna come between Guy and Zosia so that could make sense.

I think it could be interesting, I really like Jesse already!

You could be right - because that would definitely add to the 'spice/juiciness' quotient (and I had forgotten what John M said) I just really hope not - as I said it'd just be a bit icky to me!! Perhaps a more interesting route to go down (but without the ick factor, but also not that juicy so probably unlikely) would be Jesse coming in and taking over/on Guy's role as a father figure to Zosia, which might also fit the bill as an impediment between them.

As to Jesse I wouldn't say I like him yet - think that like Raf he's got potential (and as everbody has said Don G is a wonderful actor) but also like Raf he'll need to tone down some of those, to me, annoying mannersims otherwise he risks becoming, for me at least, just another irritant. I don't know why Holby seems to think that everyone who comes in has to be all singing and dancing from their very first moment on screen - there's only so many 'larger-than-life' characters one show can take and I think Holby may have reached (if not exceeded) their limit!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Changing the subject slightly, after all that chatter about Julian Glover a few days ago, I see he is in the cast list for Holby in 2 weeks time.

That's quite a coincidence!!

And on the (sort of) topic of soap connections the actress who's playing Ian Beale's PLO, Emma, in Easties is our very own Ben Hull's (Mr T's) wife. And to the person who was asking where he is - he did tweet a while back that he was filming at Holby again, so would imagine he'll be making another appearance in the next few weeks or so (but think it might just be for one episode). Although, very recently (?last week)Chizzy tweeted a picture of them together so I expect we will be seeing him again at some point.

Also, has anyone else noticed (because I can now actually read them without feeling nauseous as they seem to have slowed down) that in the end credits Wendy (Amy) still isn't listed with the main cast - there's a slight gap between her and the last one (?who are listed in order of their appearance) and then another slight gap before the guest actor's names begin. Not sure if it's significant but just something I noticed (was the same with Don G this week actually, and Jac's mum was also placed in that little section of the credits too.)
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Because they have m$ore lofe experience, have usually 'been there and done that' with most situations or problems that children will encounter. And alson like it or not, are in a position of authority over children, parents, teachers, carers that parents appoint will sometimes give instructions that have to be followed for the child's own good whether the child understands and respects it or not.

I seem to have the complete opposite view to you in that I believe EVERYBODY no matter what their age difference to yourself (older, younger, same) deserves basic respect until such time as they do something to prove they don't warrant it.

Maybe I'm being influenced by being raised a teacher but frankly most of my friends family dynamics are / were exactly the same.

Fair enough. I just disagree, as I think that people should be judged by who they are, not by when they were born. Actually, when I started sixth form, I made the independent decision that I was going to start calling all of the teachers by their first names. Whilst they were a little taken aback, there was actually only one teacher who told me that he had a problem with this, to which I said, 'Very well then, you can call me Mr Millman.' And he did. I'd have preferred things to be a little less formal, but it was most important to me that we were viewing one another as equals. Even though a teacher outranks a student, I feel that progress is better when teacher and student view each other with the same levels of esteem.

I remember a conversation in Casualty between Nick Jordan and Miriam Turner, when she asked another member of staff to call her Miriam, not Ms Turner. Jordan said that he finds that such an attitude breeds a lack of respect, and Miriam responded, 'Respect should be earned. It's not synonymous with a title.' I completely agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure we'd have had our tans slapped if we'd dared to try and call a teacher by their first name, even in the 6th form and again, as the daughter of a teacher (and a lot of my 'aunties' also being a teacher) i'd have been rather ofeended on my Mothers behalf if a 16/17 year old had tried it with her. It's not just about date of birth, it is about the fact that at that stage a Teacher has at least 5 years more academic training than anyone they are teaching plus possibly years or decades of teaching experience. That is what warrants the respect in my opinion. At College we had a couple of Lecturers that invited us to address them by their first names but none of us did it - we all just felt uncomfortable abd preferred there to be a slight distance in the roles of the relationship.

This was 25 years ago though, maybe times are just changing. Of course being older doesn't confirm somebody to 'better, 'smarter', more learned' more 'deserving' of respect but as I say I like to think that I treat everybody, no matter what their age with respect until such time as they do something that makes me think they don't deserve my respect or consideration.

Yes, Wiggles, I did notice the different order of the cast and imagine it is contractual. Those on 'full' contracts that appear on the opening titles go first, then any recurring, semi regular cast (like Bonnie, Mr T) go next and finally that week's guest cast. That does suggest that both Jesse and Amy might be around for weeks / months rather than a full year though.

Yep, Anna Acton who is indeed married to Ben Hull and a great actress. She was a semi regular in Holby Blue IIRC. Also, her Police partner in EE is Glen Wallace who was Jess's husband recently and Greg's abused childhood friend a couple of years ago.

I also agree with whoever said Jesse may just take over as Zosia's father figure which would put Guy's nose out of joint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wrote a play about the 'should a child call an adult by their first name?' debate today! Thanks for the discussion everyone, it really gave me some good ideas. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wrote a play about the 'should a child call an adult by their first name?' debate today! Thanks for the discussion everyone, it really gave me some good ideas. :)

Always happy to help George :)

Remembered something today I'd meant to ask about after this week's episode. Why was Guy having a go at Serena (because that's definitely what I thought he was doing) about Edward being hired without the proper checks being carried out??? As far as I remember Serena didn't even know that he'd been appointed till he showed up, and even if she had done it wouldn't have been her responsibility to chase up references/check for gaps in his employment that's what the HR department does!!

And to the person who asked where Spence has gone I think it's now generally accepted that Hari has left the show and has no intention of returning currently but it would be nice to have some sort of mention of this on the show - even if it's just a throw-away line from Guy to Serena about there being no need to worry about that enquiry now because Michael's got himself a cushy job in the US and so will be staying there so he's nearer his kids. Unfortunately, he just seems to be one of those things Holby has forgotten to remember (like the fact that it was the anniversary of Tara's death not long ago or that the Ric/Jess running over Jess's husband saga wasn't actually sorted before he left or that it was Jac's birthday this week [which surely at least Elliot would have remembered] and so on)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An ideal moment to mention Spence's fate if they don't want to make a big thing of it would have been when Guy was dressing Jac down and saying the Trust wouldn't support her "look what happened to Spence when he cocked up" or similar.

Guy just seems to like to take chances to needle people even when they don't deserve it.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    Remembered something today I'd meant to ask about after this week's episode. Why was Guy having a go at Serena (because that's definitely what I thought he was doing) about Edward being hired without the proper checks being carried out??? As far as I remember Serena didn't even know that he'd been appointed till he showed up, and even if she had done it wouldn't have been her responsibility to chase up references/check for gaps in his employment that's what the HR department does!!

I raised the same question when people were questioning Serena after Edward's alcoholism was revealed... I had missed a few episodes around that time but I believe that someone on here said that when he was appointed without her knowledge it was temporary but she swung it for him to get a permanent position.

However, the point that HR would have checked references etc. still stands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An ideal moment to mention Spence's fate if they don't want to make a big thing of it would have been when Guy was dressing Jac down and saying the Trust wouldn't support her "look what happened to Spence when he cocked up" or similar.

Guy just seems to like to take chances to needle people even when they don't deserve it.

Which is actually not very realistic as its actually quite rare for trusts not to support their staff if/when they're sued. They'd normally only leave them to it if they'd been deliberately negligent rather than in this case, what seemed to me, more of a judgement call around whether it'd be better for the patient to go straight in to surgery or to have extra tests (which could have led to a delay in the life-saving surgery for no extra benefit - if there'd been nothing wrong). Because whatever Holby seems to think getting second CT's certainly isn't a 5 minute job - most hospital's only have one which will normally be working through an out-patient list and also have emergencies coming from A&E which normally take priority over urgent requests from the wards . And as for Digby only having 20 (or was it 10) minutes to go before having to give Guy his diagnosis when Zosia told him the answer and still managing to get the patient a MRI before his time was up - unbelievable doesn't really cover it. (And apologies for the moaning but it is one of my areas of expertise - was a radiographic assistant for 2 years in another life.)
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope Johny leaves. He is just awful and he is spoiling Jaq with his dreary drama. Time he bores off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I tweeted Oliver Kent to ask if there are still plans to bring Michael back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've not given up on Jonny just yet (principally because I think Michael T is doing a great job and I'd miss him if he left and because I think he and Rosie work well together too) but agree this storyline is dragging him down terribly. Am really hoping there'll be a change of focus in the next few weeks because surely it's got to end soon? Please, please, please!!!!
  • Options
    sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Regarding the whole "addressing" topic... teachers we used to call mostly "teacher".

I have called my aunts and uncles by their first name purely as that is what they have been introduced to me as ever since I was very, very small. So it would have felt very odd to address them more formally.

When in patient contact I don't call people by their first name, unless they insist on it. I do not personally know these people so I would feel weird to use their first name in the first instance. My older, more experienced colleague who has worked in the same clinic for years and years addresses some of the patients by their first name, but having seen each other on a rather regular basis for many, many years they have become to know each other better. And those same patients call her by her first name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sohvimus wrote: »
    When in patient contact I don't call people by their first name, unless they insist on it. I do not personally know these people so I would feel weird to use their first name in the first instance. My older, more experienced colleague who has worked in the same clinic for years and years addresses some of the patients by their first name, but having seen each other on a rather regular basis for many, many years they have become to know each other better. And those same patients call her by her first name.

If you're working as a medical professional or another role that deals with clients, I think that that is slightly different, as in current society we are expected to be formal (although I personally would like us to be free enough that using first names is natural and expected). I would ask people to call me by my first name, just as I may call a doctor or a nurse by their first name also.

Having said that, I call my dentist by her title, but that's not a politeness/respect thing. I think that with the dynamic that I have with her, her first name doesn't sound quite as interesting as 'Mrs' and then her surname. She's the exception, but for an entirely different reason.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really hope Johny leaves. He is just awful and he is spoiling Jaq with his dreary drama. Time he bores off.

I could not agree more. I cannot wait to see the back of him and his vindictive maliciousness and his hypocritical self-righteousness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't want Jonny to go, I just want him to change - stop being so vindictive to Jac. I don't need him to like her, I certainly don't need or want them to reconcile (the Janny ship has well and truly sunk for me), I just want him to stop victimising her which is truly what I feel he is currently doing, and indeed has been for several months - even before Bonnie died and he had 'reason' to hate her. I do think Jonny is still a good character and Thomson an incredible actor - he remains nearly the most character in the show for me (though there is scant competition presently) and given the right (less abusive) storylines he could really shine again.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he is beyond redemption for me now. I just want him to go.
  • Options
    millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Johnny at the start, he seemed a likeable guy That maybe would have been good for Jac. But as soon as Jac got pregnant and asked Johnny to move in her to support her durring her pregnancy he did a 90 degree turn. Introduced Bonnie as his girlfiend and got her job working on same ward. It is a big hospital he could have got her job on any other ward? Behaved unprofessionally getting lovey dovey whilst on their shift infront of Jac. Judging Jac and how she reacted to the news their unborn baby was ill. Telling how to behave and what emotion she should have.

I hope they are not going down the root with Jac's mother and Johnny getting together and Jac losing custody to never do wrong Johnny. Jac admits her flaws. Johnny just see flaws in anyone but himself. Judging Jac and Mo. Jac has never stopped Johnny seeing Emma, even now she has not just said she had to agree to it first. Unlike Johnny threating to never let Jac see Emma. Where is Sacha in all this. The writers have backed the story so it can only end badly for both Jac and Johnny.

Hope they are not going down the route for an affair for Harry i love myself and Amy, which will result in a baby for Amy, Raf thinking it is his. Harry loving the fact he got Amy pregnant and telling Raf with a smug face.

Like Digby and hope he gets some decent story lines. Not just the Dom ones.
  • Options
    sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    millysshaw wrote: »
    I liked Johnny at the start, he seemed a likeable guy That maybe would have been good for Jac. But as soon as Jac got pregnant and asked Johnny to move in her to support her durring her pregnancy he did a 90 degree turn.

Actually it was originally Jonny's idea that they'd move in together to be "the possible parents for our daughter". Jac thought about and then agreed to it and gave the spare key to Jonny, who then later in the same episode dropped it back because Bonnie turned up and patient's relative said something to him.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't enjoy most of last week's episode, although it did pick up towards the end. I liked the patient storyline involving Digby, although the story of him being told to man up feels like it's been told a thousand times before.

Neither Jonny or Jac are looking good in their fight, which is making it sort of interesting. Jac deserved to be reprimanded for her oversight with her patient and I don't know why Jonny was surprised that Jac pushed back via her lawyer after he decided to go in all guns blazing himself.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonny has completely lost it - at least Elliot called him on it at long last. Jac did nothing wrong by setting her solicitor on him - he pushed her all the way, including trying to destroy her career.

He is the evil, sick, twisted one - not Jac. And now she has Paula to contend with as well. Lovely. Oh yes, and she had to suffer a lecture in incompetence from Mr Self Important, to boot. She's too good for the whole lot of them.

He wouldn't have had the opportunity to do so, had she not cocked up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He wouldn't have had the opportunity to do so, had she not cocked up.

I'm not really sure it was actually a major cock up on Jac's part - at the very worst (in my opinion) it was a marginal decision (take the patient into theatre straight away to do life-saving surgery without getting new, potentially time consuming tests done or wait for said tests so that you had a clearer picture of what was going on [which could have been nothing] but might have delayed the operation thus placing the patient at risk) which, in hindsight, she got wrong. And not to minimize anything but from what we saw in the operating theatre (and there may have been more that was cut out) it didn't actually cause a massive problem anyway - the patient's O2 saturation dropped - how many times does that happen in operations in Holby without anyone mentioning it, let alone being hauled over hot coals by the big boss for it??? And presumably, as soon as the problem was spotted it was also sorted so any possible negative consequences would have been reversed very quickly (and it does actually take, relatively speaking, quite a long time for a lack of oxygen to have an impact on the brain - that's why people can swim lengths underwater without doing any damage) Which is why the whole Guy threatening to cut Jac loose if the family sued didn't ring true for me (its actually quite unusual for trusts not to support their staff - unless there is obvious negligence/unethical behaviour - in litigation cases) and was obviously just a way to stoke the fires of the Jac/Jonny emnity even more
    Also, and this is a very small point but if there was a problem with her O2 levels then the anaesthitist should have pointed it out to Jac and Elliot (it shouldn't have needed Jonny to) because that's part of their job description.

And, I know this isn't important at all (and that she was wearing heels) but did anyone else think that the actress who played ?Claudia (the 2nd Darwin daughter) was really tall, or was it just me?
This discussion has been closed.