Going to UNI 'later in life'. Any experience here?

2»

Comments

• RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    I really admire you:)I would love to go to Uni and I'm 36 but it's just not possible with young children and it would be financially difficult, one day maybe

I had three kids when I started (my youngest was a baby and his brothers were 3 and 10), and graduated with a 2:1. The major difference, though, is that part of the funding was grant rather than loan, so it wasn't as financially difficult. My husband worked too, so we had his wages, as well as mine during the holidays.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do your research. Know why you are doing the course and whether you can reasonably expect to get that from the course you choose.
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I had three kids when I started (my youngest was a baby and his brothers were 3 and 10), and graduated with a 2:1. The major difference, though, is that part of the funding was grant rather than loan, so it wasn't as financially difficult. My husband worked too, so we had his wages, as well as mine during the holidays.

That's great:) I think I need to stop thinking to much about it and get some more info. Hope you don't mind me asking, did you have any help regarding childcare eg family picking kids up from school,that kind of thing? It must have been difficult but you have proved that it's possible.
    My husband works full time and works long hours and I work part time, I've got 2 kids one about to go to school and one about to go in preschool and we depend only on nursery and holiday clubs.
    Definitely look into it more closely now..thanks:)
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's great:) I think I need to stop thinking to much about it and get some more info. Hope you don't mind me asking, did you have any help regarding childcare eg family picking kids up from school,that kind of thing? It must have been difficult but you have proved that it's possible.
    My husband works full time and works long hours and I work part time, I've got 2 kids one about to go to school and one about to go in preschool and we depend only on nursery and holiday clubs.
    Definitely look into it more closely now..thanks:)

Thank you. :) None of my family lived close to us, and my husband's family didn't get involved. His parents were both dead, and his siblings had small children and jobs of their own. He worked shifts, so he'd take the boys to school (or nursery) sometimes and I'd do it other times. The course timetable wasn't that chock-a-block after the first year, and we just managed really. I don't recall any specifically bad times with it all, so it can't have been too bad. :D (Rose-tinted glasses are great, eh? :D)

You'll get quite long holidays yourself, don't forget, so you won't have to worry too much about holiday clubs, unless you need a job during them, and you're doing all that now anyway. You'll have course work to do during the hols, but that's not exactly an 18-hour day unless you leave it all to the last minute.

One thing to remember is that if you have any problems, such as one of your kids not being so well, the lecturers are very, very understanding. You can get extensions to deadlines, copies of handouts, all that, if you have any problems. It's not that scary, not really. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you. :) None of my family lived close to us, and my husband's family didn't get involved. His parents were both dead, and his siblings had small children and jobs of their own. He worked shifts, so he'd take the boys to school (or nursery) sometimes and I'd do it other times. The course timetable wasn't that chock-a-block after the first year, and we just managed really. I don't recall any specifically bad times with it all, so it can't have been too bad. :D (Rose-tinted glasses are great, eh? :D)

You'll get quite long holidays yourself, don't forget, so you won't have to worry too much about holiday clubs, unless you need a job during them, and you're doing all that now anyway. You'll have course work to do during the hols, but that's not exactly an 18-hour day unless you leave it all to the last minute.

One thing to remember is that if you have any problems, such as one of your kids not being so well, the lecturers are very, very understanding. You can get extensions to deadlines, copies of handouts, all that, if you have any problems. It's not that scary, not really. :)

Thanks so much, you have given me a lot to think about. I don't want to be stuck in a job I don't particularly enjoy because one day my kids will grow up and have their own lives and I will wonder what happened to mine..career wise.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished my three year stint at uni with a first class degree....walked straight into a professional job on the back of my qualification too. I took voluntary redundancy at 49 to return to study....best decision I have ever made.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really nice thread here with lots of encouragement. I too will hopefully be going to uni next year, and I'll be 39. It's nice to know that people of all ages go to university. I imagined it would be full of teens and people in their early 20's.
  • carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 41 and have just finished my first year. So far it has been easy, although I know the work increases this year. I'm doing student nursing and absolutely love everything about the course.

I did an access course which I would recommend if you haven't studied for a while. It is good preparation for university, for example, support with personal statements, referencing etc.

As an older student I feel I have a lot more life experience, but at the end of the day I don't think it comes down to age, more about your personality and life situation and how you think you would cope with the pressure :)
  • carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have 3 children as well and have just spent the last 6 weeks with them as it was timetabled off. Childcare is actually easier than when I worked :):)
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    I've just finished my three year stint at uni with a first class degree....walked straight into a professional job on the back of my qualification too. I took voluntary redundancy at 49 to return to study....best decision I have ever made.

OO you are giving me hope im about to start an access course at 49 and im thinking about uni after
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OO you are giving me hope im about to start an access course at 49 and im thinking about uni after

Do it....do it!!! :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    Does anyone watch University Challenge? - there are VERY often older students in that competition - I think this week the average age of the teams was 27/28 years old?, and that's not unusually high.
  • marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done an access course and am off to university in September, I am 27! I know I won't be the oldest there and I was not wanting to be stuck in a dead end job for the rest of my life!!
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I went to uni (just p/t though) when I was in my mid 30s. The youngest on my course was 18. I was a bit apprehensive about it all being 'youngsters' but honestly there was quite a mix of ages and we all got on great together. I had a fantastic time. I did 3 years there and I miss it now.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much, you have given me a lot to think about. I don't want to be stuck in a job I don't particularly enjoy because one day my kids will grow up and have their own lives and I will wonder what happened to mine..career wise.

Excuse me butting in, Vix!

I have two kids, a p/t job and a husband who works a LOT! A full time course wasn't financially viable at the time (as I needed to keep working) so I enrolled on a p/t degree course. It was one day a week (1pm to 9pm, if memory serves!) so childcare was only an issue one day a week and if I had a problem the tutors were really understanding and helpful. It might be worth hunting around to see if you can find something p/t that you can fit in around your existing commitments and see how that progresses. I won't lie, it was a lot of hard work and a few late nights! But it was really interesting, great fun and I finally got the degree that I should have got when I left school instead of arsing around.

Good luck with it. I hope you find something. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse me butting in, Vix!

I have two kids, a p/t job and a husband who works a LOT! A full time course wasn't financially viable at the time (as I needed to keep working) so I enrolled on a p/t degree course. It was one day a week (1pm to 9pm, if memory serves!) so childcare was only an issue one day a week and if I had a problem the tutors were really understanding and helpful. It might be worth hunting around to see if you can find something p/t that you can fit in around your existing commitments and see how that progresses. I won't lie, it was a lot of hard work and a few late nights! But it was really interesting, great fun and I finally got the degree that I should have got when I left school instead of arsing around.

Good luck with it. I hope you find something. :)
    Thanks so much for the advice, it sounds so reassuring. I'm definitely looking into it in September, I've talked it over with my husband and he's being really supportive about it. It's so nice to get some sound advice on here and know that your goals in life are achievable if you're committed them.
    Thanks again!
  • Mumof5Mumof5 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    A 70 year old graduated at the university I work at this year. And she's now doing another Masters course.

I went to University aged 30 but decided the course wasn't for me. I'm now about to study again part-time at the age of 39 with 5 kids under the age of 7 , a full-time job and a husband who works very long hours.

Gook luck!