Lloyds Bank Credit Card

Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
Forum Member
Every time I go to top up my bank I always get the hard sell about a Lloyds credit card, thing is I have barely anything in the bank as it is plus I seem to go over drawn (something usually comes out sending me in the red) so why am I still being offered this? I don't want to get further into debt.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Banks want you to get into debt. This is how they make money.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Funk You wrote: »
    Every time I go to top up my bank I always get the hard sell about a Lloyds credit card, thing is I have barely anything in the bank as it is plus I seem to go over drawn (something usually comes out sending me in the red) so why am I still being offered this? I don't want to get further into debt.

The cashier may well have noticed your issue and worked out that you'll save on overdraft fees if you balance your financial porftolio with a credit card.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    The cashier may well have noticed your issue and worked out that you'll save on overdraft fees if you balance your financial porftolio with a credit card.

Is this really the case? all I keep hearing from the cashier is that I can get my money back faster when I have ordered on the internet on credit card instead of my usual debit card.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    Lloyds will keep giving you the hard sell until they have your mortgage, all your insurance policies and all your credit cards. They were told to tone it down after years of misselling but they're as bad as ever.
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same with any bank. For one reason or another I had a cheque for a little under £2 to pay in. Did I want a credit card? What did I think of interest rates? Would I like to see a financial adviser? (Answer: yes, I'd love to, but only if I'm on the jury).

I always knew there was a good reason to make deposits using the hole-in-the-wall!

Oh yes, the fun and games I had setting up a direct debit to pay off the credit card statements!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want a credit card because you think you won't be able to cope with it, just say no thanks when they start their waffle.

The cashiers have to spout on to customers, because the bosses say so, so it's not the fault of the poor sap who's serving you. He or she probably thinks it's as annoying as you do.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    Same with any bank. For one reason or another I had a cheque for a little under £2 to pay in. Did I want a credit card? What did I think of interest rates? Would I like to see a financial adviser? (Answer: yes, I'd love to, but only if I'm on the jury).

I always knew there was a good reason to make deposits using the hole-in-the-wall!

Oh yes, the fun and games I had setting up a direct debit to pay off the credit card statements!

It was no problem at all with my Santander current account and credit card.
    Forum Member

It can be...

Have you done the calculations yourself?
    Forum Member

You need to complete the correct details on the mandate and ensure there is sufficient funds in the account to settle the DD when it is collected.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It can be...

Have you done the calculations yourself?

Why are you asking yourself a question?
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many banks offer incentives to their staff if they can sell certain products such as investments, loans and credit cards. Additionally some banks are reported to mark staff down who do not sell enough financial products. Hence the hard sell at the counter.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2616969/Lloyds-Bank-branch-sales-targets-continue-increase.html
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. I've had three credit card letters this month from Lloyds and been offered multiple loans. No thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Move banks . Take your business elsewhere and tell Lloyds to go to hell

With the new 7 day switching service rules , it's as easy as baking a cake :)
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this really the case? all I keep hearing from the cashier is that I can get my money back faster when I have ordered on the internet on credit card instead of my usual debit card.

Blimey. Is this how they're selling credit cards these days?

It's not even true really, so I wouldn't worry. The few times my debit card has been fraudulently used I've always had the money back nice and quickly - that's what charge-backs are for :)

Nobody should have a credit card unless they need one for some specific reason in my opinion. It just seems odd that people would expect to be able to just buy anything anytime and pay for it later. Save up and wait. Less hassle.

ETA: Barclays actually signed me up for a credit card last year without me even knowing, which I thought was amusing at the time. Shows their desperation I guess. As others have said they are just a bunch of vultures.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Blimey. Is this how they're selling credit cards these days?

It's not even true really, so I wouldn't worry. The few times my debit card has been fraudulently used I've always had the money back nice and quickly - that's what charge-backs are for :)

Nobody should have a credit card unless they need one for some specific reason in my opinion. It just seems odd that people would expect to be able to just buy anything anytime and pay for it later. Save up and wait. Less hassle.

ETA: Barclays actually signed me up for a credit card last year without me even knowing, which I thought was amusing at the time. Shows their desperation I guess. As others have said they are just a bunch of vultures.

There are differences however; well explained here
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cashier's probably being bullied to sell more products to people that don't want or need them.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I use the online banking at Lloyds at least 3/4 of the screen is taken up with "offers" of products I don't want, and that includes at least two adverts for their cards and always an advert for a loan and often an advert for their savings account. Half the time they hijack the login with an advert, card or loan (with a massive "apply now" button but a tiny "continue to your accounts" button) and even more annoying they also hijack the log out, so I'm still logged in after I hit the "log out" just to see an advert.

I just want a setting that says "look, you're my current account provider, if I ever do find myself needing a loan you'll be one of the first ones I will price up when that time comes, until then just nack off and leave me alone." and "oh, by the way my credit card gives me nectar points, yours doesn't"
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can contact them and ask for no selling at the till. They will then add a message in their screen and will leave you alone.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjqvKjsIxT_8&ei=CMIOVMy7CurmywOZ9ID4CQ&usg=AFQjCNGETcFMDD8EIkbyE3bcU2GNNfpErw&bvm=bv.74649129,d.bGQ
    Although it's true that credit cards have a big advantage if you are the victim of fraud. For one thing you don't actually have to 'get your money back' because it's not your money that's been spent. You just tell the bank you won't be paying those items on your bill.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Banks are a buisness, the idea of any buisness is to make money for themselves
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to complete the correct details on the mandate and ensure there is sufficient funds in the account to settle the DD when it is collected.

It was the convincing them that, yes, I really did want to settle in full each month that was the problem. They did "warn" me of my possible "mistake" and offer me the chance to "correct" it, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Banks are a buisness, the idea of any buisness is to make money for themselves

How much money is there to be made from their former customers, though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much money is there to be made from their former customers, though?

The rate of people actually switching bank accounts is so low that they are possibly statistically insignificant and are not a major worry to the banks at the present time.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    The rate of people actually switching bank accounts is so low that they are possibly statistically insignificant and are not a major worry to the banks at the present time.

That's not true at all. Switching is at record levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    That's not true at all. Switching is at record levels.

Yes, it is at record levels and still rising, but it is still only about 1 percent of everybody who has a bank account who is switching every year. My point was that the banks are probably very happy at a customer retention rate of 99% and therefore are not putting effort into customer retention activities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/bank-accounts/10970696/Only-1pc-move-with-new-current-account-switching-service.html
    Richard Lloyd, Which? executive director said: "Increased switching levels are a step in the right direction but it is not the avalanche needed to transform the market.

Is what I was trying to say.