Options

Bad Girls- Best Series?

Comments

• Options
    BakervichBakervich Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I may restart all the bad girls threads!

Love this show currently watching series 1 and episode 2 haha

Its great to be able to discuss after all this time!

Series 1 was amazing, dark gripping storylines. The writers clearly had a story to tell. The character Monica had a huge part in this series, so sad when her son died.

Series 2 was equally great, Zandra, who was my favourite at the time had some great storylines in her rather short time on the show. I think there was plenty more to do with her and I wonder what she would have done if she had not died like she did. I loved her friendship with Crystal. With her friendship with Zandra Crystal really mellowed and I loved the scene where she was shouting at that bastard Dr No No after Zandra had died.

Series 3 started with an amazing episode where Shell stabbed Fenner. I loved the character of Gina, a real ball buster, such a shame she only lasted one series.

For me I think she show should have ended after series 5 but should have ended very differently with Yvonne, Karen and Shell getting rid of Fenner. Rather than him getting rid of them. Yvonne, Karen and Shell were amazing and it was not the same once this strong group (as well as Babs, Buki, Denny etc) had gone. The newer characters were not in the same league as the earlier ones and this is way the show was never as wactchable. Sylvia and the Julies were not enough to save it for me sadly.
  • Options
    Gene HackmanGene Hackman Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Bakervich wrote: »
    Its great to be able to discuss after all this time!

Series 1 was amazing, dark gripping storylines. The writers clearly had a story to tell. The character Monica had a huge part in this series, so sad when her son died.

Series 2 was equally great, Zandra, who was my favourite at the time had some great storylines in her rather short time on the show. I think there was plenty more to do with her and I wonder what she would have done if she had not died like she did. I loved her friendship with Crystal. With her friendship with Zandra Crystal really mellowed and I loved the scene where she was shouting at that bastard Dr No No after Zandra had died.

Series 3 started with an amazing episode where Shell stabbed Fenner. I loved the character of Gina, a real ball buster, such a shame she only lasted one series.

For me I think she show should have ended after series 5 but should have ended very differently with Yvonne, Karen and Shell getting rid of Fenner. Rather than him getting rid of them. Yvonne, Karen and Shell were amazing and it was not the same once this strong group (as well as Babs, Buki, Denny etc) had gone. The newer characters were not in the same league as the earlier ones and this is way the show was never as wactchable. Sylvia and the Julies were not enough to save it for me sadly.

After series 5 I never noticed or cared about how strong the show once was because we still had Di, Fenner, The Julies and Bodybag along with Natalie Buxton... they for me made the show good to watch.

Kevin Spiers in my opinion was the future of Bad Girls when Fenner left... but they got rid of him so we could have... Ricky Butcher in a uniform. Amanda Donhue seems to have the 'save the show' complex about her.

Feel free to inbox me, I would love to have a indepth talk!
  • Options
    OK Then!!!OK Then!!! Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoner Cell Block H was far stronger in my opinion.

As for Bad Girls, series 2,3 (poss 4) were the best. 5 was ok but a bit silly, series 6 it shot up again with some promising new characters and reasonably exciting stories and twists. Then 7 was the beginning of the end. Got a bit silly, bit predictable, bit like they were running out of stories tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred the show to end at the end of series 7, but would have preferred a stronger ending to Jim. I agree he should have been murdered, but they should have had a really good whodunnit, with some fab stories and laods of suspects. They only had about 3 or 4 and it was over with after about 3 episodes.

So yes, if they'd really worked at series 7 that could have been a brilliant end series. Why they did another series with series 8 i dont know- it was a pile of s*** and the show had run out of steam completely with disgraceful ratings. Some episodes struggled to get above 3 or 4 million, when at one time in the earlier series, the show would regularly get 6,7 or 8 million an episode.
  • Options
    AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    I agree that Series 1 - Series 3 being the best due to most of the original cast still being there

Series 4 got dull with Niell and his pointless subplots
    Series 5 was depressing with Julie's cancer, Yvonne's infamous death etc.
    Series 6 I thought was turning out to be good again with good characters such as Natalie, Darlene and that wing gov who's name escapes me
    Series 7 was pretty decent as well with the arrival of Pat and Jim going apeshit on everyone
    Series 8 just showed how the whole prison went soft and sometimes it wasn't even about the inmates. That's where it truly lost the plot. Awful series

I agree with all of this, however Series 4 I thought had a great finale with the prison explosion (at the time I didn't want Shaz to die). Although only 13 when it was shown, I didn't like the fact that the prisoners had TV in their cells, I'd seen every episode at that point and just couldn't believe they'd have that privilege, even the top ones.

Series 8 got off to a great start (I'll always remember the epic opening scene just before the titles) and Episode 6 was pretty good with the Pat vs. Nat fight, but apart from that Series 8 wasn't the Bad Girls I'd grown up with, the use of Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman and YMCA completely killed off what the show set out to do in the first series. I loved Darlene Cake as well, funny from her first scene up until her last.

Bad Girls was also the show to teach me the word 'nonce' in Series 6, Natalie Buxton started out as a perfectly innocent character when that all got exposed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK Then!!! wrote: »
    I would have preferred the show to end at the end of series 7, but would have preferred a stronger ending to Jim. I agree he should have been murdered, but they should have had a really good whodunnit, with some fab stories and laods of suspects. They only had about 3 or 4 and it was over with after about 3 episodes.

So yes, if they'd really worked at series 7 that could have been a brilliant end series. Why they did another series with series 8 i dont know- it was a pile of s*** and the show had run out of steam completely with disgraceful ratings. Some episodes struggled to get above 3 or 4 million, when at one time in the earlier series, the show would regularly get 6,7 or 8 million an episode.

Jim Fenner WAS Bad Girls by series 7... the show should have ended when he did... I mean how on earth did they expect to survive without him, there was no evil screw and that had always been the basics of the 7 series!
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    I agree with all of this, however Series 4 I thought had a great finale with the prison explosion (at the time I didn't want Shaz to die). Although only 13 when it was shown, I didn't like the fact that the prisoners had TV in their cells, I'd seen every episode at that point and just couldn't believe they'd have that privilege, even the top ones.

Series 8 got off to a great start (I'll always remember the epic opening scene just before the titles) and Episode 6 was pretty good with the Pat vs. Nat fight, but apart from that Series 8 wasn't the Bad Girls I'd grown up with, the use of Roy Orbison - Pretty Woman and YMCA completely killed off what the show set out to do in the first series. I loved Darlene Cake as well, funny from her first scene up until her last.

Bad Girls was also the show to teach me the word 'nonce' in Series 6, Natalie Buxton started out as a perfectly innocent character when that all got exposed.

Series 8 shouldn't exsist! Plus CBS didn't show series 8 haha!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 3 was by far my favourite season there was just so much amazing things thatv went on the riot episode is still one of my all time favourites.

But my running order for my series of the show has to be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You choose series 8 over 7!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My running order would be-

2 (Best)
  • Options
    Russ_WWFCRuss_WWFC Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Bad Girls, not watched it for a while actually. But I'd say Series 2/3/4 were the best, had established itself with Series and not ran out of ideas

That said it was good up until the end
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rachael just died... sad episode... Denny is horrible.
  • Options
    Rose-AddictRose-Addict Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I've found a Bad Girls thread, I thought everyone had forgotten. :eek:

Series Six for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    1, 2, 3 & 4 were my favorites, upto the fire (which was my favorite ever episode)

After that i think it dropped a bit, i didnt like that everyone but Shaz escaped without any explination how they got out, then that seemed to be a bit of a theme, the last episode of a series ending with a cliff hanger but not wrapping it up the next series.

Still liked series 5 & 6 but they weren't as good as the first ones, even series 7 & 8 though not great were still better than most things on tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    Series 8 shouldn't exsist! Plus CBS didn't show series 8 haha!

They are this time around though.
  • Options
    Hurry Up!Hurry Up! Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Jim Fenner... that is all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching them all again now just finished series 6 and the tanya turner storyline was amazing :D
  • Options
    rodenboyrodenboy Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ I disagree completely and find Series 6 the worst along with Series 8!
  • Options
    dannyl1989dannyl1989 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say series 1-6 were very good!

Series 2-5 being the shows high and best point!

I still think series 7 and 8 were okay, but that's when it started to take a nose dive and I think this is where they begun to run out of ideas.

Although it is a shame they never done a series 9 to wrap up everything and didn't get to see Denny's return! :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denny was on the straight and narrow :D
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgive me for resurrecting a dead thread along with a dead show but I've just finished the whole box set and I'm itching to discuss it.

Series 8 is completely ludicrous and an insult to the fans. The fact that Di Barker just vanished without an explanation or even just a throw away line is ridiculous. Same with Kevin, who given the chance could have been the new Fenner.

1 - 3 was definitely the best era.

In a few years BG will be turning 20. Any chance of a revival?
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Series 1 as a standalone 10 episode drama is just fantastic. No matter what happens to the show in later years, you can't deny that Monica, Nikki, Zandra etc were all fantastically written and developed characters.

I also rank series 7 fairly highly. It is, of course, of a different tone and style, but I always have a soft spot for it!

Series 8 is Bad Girls.2, it's almost like they tries to reboot the series and failed dramatically. I underestimated how important Di was to the show, but on a recent marathon viewing she really is a prominent character!
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S3 was my favourite, followed by S5 and S2. I loved the escape, the boot gangs arrival, Yvonne really made her mark as top dog too. There wasn't really a weak link in the show at that point it was brilliant.
  • Options
    BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Fenner - So many names I can't be bothered posting!
    Yvonne Atkins - Top Dog!
    Di Barker/Fenner - "Mad Dog" Barker
    Sylvia Hollomby - "Body Bag"
    Shell Dockley
    Natalie Buxton
    Julie Saunders
    Julie Johnson
    Kevin Spiers

Too many great characters to mention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Series 2 and 3 were great but then again they all were.

Apart from series 8 and that awul Christmas Special :o
  • Options
    BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, it was shocking.

The 90's were great.