It's Here!

David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just downloaded the new software, version 70-34-09. It takes a while to download and the box restarts afterwards, which means that it takes an age to get going, but then it is installing the software, I suppose.

Once up and running again, my first impressions are very positive. Internet channels are now recordable. I recorded a little bit of Sky One to make sure, and it was successful. Also, I suspect that the firmware may have been upgraded at the same time because it seems to be a bit slicker. I noticed an improvement in performance following the introduction of the new TalkTalk Player, but I think there is a small further improvement. Starting up in low-eco mode still takes about 13 seconds. Switching between two broadcast channels takes about two seconds, which is slightly less than it used to be. Switching between a broadcast channel and an internet channel takes between four and five seconds, but switching between two internet channels seems to be down to about three seconds. I suppose the internet channels take a bit longer because they have to fill the buffer first.

Those are my initial impressions. I will report back when I have played about with it a bit more.

Comments

• David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As promised, further report. The box is definitely slicker now. I don't suppose for a moment that it is the fastest around, but I would no longer call it slow. I don't feel the need to change it for the new BT box. As mentioned yesterday, internet channels are now recordable, which also means that they can be paused, rewound etc. I recorded Got to Dance on Sky One last night and it missed the end of the programme. At the moment, of course, I have no way of knowing whether that was the fault of the box or of the broadcaster. The same thing happens with ITV from time to time. Further experimentation required there. I tried rewinding a few minutes and recording the buffer this morning, but it recorded from the point where I started rewinding, so that feature still seems to be in the pending tray.

At least the big one is out of the way and the Huawei box seems to be doing everything that the Humax box does (although perhaps not quite so quickly, but it no longer lags like it did). TalkTalk YouView is reaching maturity now, arguably two years after it should have done - but nobody can do anything about that now. When the buffer becomes recordable, I will consider it to be fully developed.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As promised, further report. The box is definitely slicker now. I don't suppose for a moment that it is the fastest around, but I would no longer call it slow. I don't feel the need to change it for the new BT box. As mentioned yesterday, internet channels are now recordable, which also means that they can be paused, rewound etc. I recorded Got to Dance on Sky One last night and it missed the end of the programme. At the moment, of course, I have no way of knowing whether that was the fault of the box or of the broadcaster. The same thing happens with ITV from time to time. Further experimentation required there. I tried rewinding a few minutes and recording the buffer this morning, but it recorded from the point where I started rewinding, so that feature still seems to be in the pending tray.

At least the big one is out of the way and the Huawei box seems to be doing everything that the Humax box does (although perhaps not quite so quickly, but it no longer lags like it did). TalkTalk YouView is reaching maturity now, arguably two years after it should have done - but nobody can do anything about that now. When the buffer becomes recordable, I will consider it to be fully developed.

Yep, I've got the update too. I've set it to record Galapagos on Sky2 this afternoon.

I haven't noticed any performance improvement yet, but I've only checked the date for the update and set it to record, so I've not really had the chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just recorded Galapagos on Sky 2 and the recording was fine. I booked it on the epg at about 9.00am, so the whole thing happened automatically. It recorded without a hitch right to the end. That leaves me inclined to think that last night's failure to record a complete programme might be a one off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just recorded Galapagos on Sky 2 and the recording was fine. I booked it on the epg at about 9.00am, so the whole thing happened automatically. It recorded without a hitch right to the end. That leaves me inclined to think that last night's failure to record a complete programme might be a one off.

My recording of Galapagos was set the same way and also worked without problems. This is the first time I've watched anything on the additional channels! I know I could have accessed Sky via the Talk Talk player, but I much prefer recording to HD to watch when I'm ready.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    You should also have the new accessibility software? It was part of the recording internet channels trial. Look in settings you should have some new options like change colour of graphics etc. Also you can connect a keyboard via the USB port
    Forum Member
    As for the Huawei box, I have one of the new boxes, I was on the trial. As far as I know new customers now get these as standard. They are very slick and fast, I have no problems at all apart from the very odd restart if the box freezes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is interesting. I have one of the original Huawei boxes. I have checked the settings, but I couldn't find anything to change the colour of the graphics. There is one to make the graphics high contrast, which I have selected to run with for a while to see if I like it. The graphics are super-clear now, but the blue colour has disappeared altogether. They are strictly black and white. Trouble is I can't remember whether that feature was on the box before the software update or not.

I assumed that the new Huawei boxes would benefit from the update and, as they already have a more powerful processor and more memory, they would be faster. The old box is certainly much slicker than it was, but I wouldn't call it fast. I have read a couple of reviews of the new box and they roundly criticised the remote as being cheap and trashy. How do you find yours? I would have thought that this was a fault they could rectify easily.
    Forum Member
    That's it, high and low contrast and there should be an option to plays sounds when pressing remote control buttons plus other options to help people with disabilities, this includes been able to plug in ANY USB keyboard including wireless ones using a USB dongle, this feature is useful if you use the search function alot.

The remote for the new box is exactly the same as the old ones.
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like talktalk is seeing huge demand in the Darlington area currently upon putting a phone number and postcode in it says

Great news! The package you selected is available

However, due to unprecedented demand for our TV services there are currently no engineer appointments or YouView boxes available

This happens very rarely, so please check back again soon.
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no sigh of the update here in Bristol. Getting quite impatient now....:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it takes a couple of weeks to roll it out everywhere, but I am surprised you don't have it yet. Have you tried a manual update?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried a manual update?

Oh yes... It's become a bit of a morning routine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it can't be much longer. I've had mine for nearly two weeks.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex talk talk youview (now being used with Sky BB) updated on Tuesday
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    Still can't record internet channels here in Norfolk. You view box fell over last weekend and had to be completely re-booted. Its still its slow self compared with my Panasonic D box I have in another room. Only another 12 months now before I can tell Talk Talk to stuff there useless box where the sun doesn't shine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another week goes by and still no update. Weird...
  • scointerscointer Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read here, it may make you feel better (or worse)....

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/software-update-huawei-youview-box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scointer wrote: »
    Read here, it may make you feel better (or worse)....

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/software-update-huawei-youview-box

That is a long time to be rolling out the release.

BTW, what are "Audio feedback" and "Zoom mode"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a long time to be rolling out the release.

BTW, what are "Audio feedback" and "Zoom mode"?

OK, I found Audio Feedback in the settings, and it causes the box to make a REALLY loud beep every time the remote button is pressed, even when you set the volume to "very low".

It also doesn't seem to help on those times when the snail like pace of the box means you aren't sure if it has detected the button press. It you press twice quickly, you get two beeps, but the box only reacts as if there was one button press.

Good to see Huawei maintaining there disappointing track record. I've switched audio feed back off as it is really annoying and useless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any help on zoom mode anyone?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just a guess, but perhaps it allows old 4x3 programmes to have their edges stretched to fill the wide screen format.
  • tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just a guess, but perhaps it allows old 4x3 programmes to have their edges stretched to fill the wide screen format.

No you can now select "zoom" on the remote to zoom in on the epg or Youview menus. Handy for people with eyesight issues and/or smaller tv screens
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tallguy9 wrote: »
    No you can now select "zoom" on the remote to zoom in on the epg or Youview menus. Handy for people with eyesight issues and/or smaller tv screens

I didn't even notice my remote had a zoom button! I was searching all the on screen menus for a zoom option!

Thanks.
  • Jimmy_BarnesJimmy_Barnes Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother, a TalkTalk TV customer (I'm BT TV so I've been able to record the IPTV channels from day one, he said smugly!), told me he can now record boost channels. Presumably he received the software update this week sometime.

We both live in the Chesterfield area, but whether geographical location is relevant to rollout of the software update, I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be. I got the update almost a month ago, but others have reported receiving it only in the last day or two. No idea why this should be.