Options

Joe McElderry Comeback. New album "Classic" out on August 22nd

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well for one his unique selling point is that, at only 20, he has tackled and succeeded in singing some of the most difficult arias with praise from Rolando Villazon and Katherine Jenkins, not to mention Simon Callow who is a renowed opera producer as well as a fine actor.

He has only tried two genres (note no apostrophe!) in the past TWO years. Pop and classical. And why shouldn't he?
  • Options
    MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fan of Will's, you know that he tackled a classical piece,
    at Party in the Park many moons ago. He made a fair job of it too but, nowhere in you wildest imagination could you can compare Will's attempt with anyone classically trained ssinging Carmen.

Cheryl, Clare and Darius last year handled the songs they were given on PSTOS very well too, and to praise from the judges, thankfully, they didn't all take it into their heads to release albums off the back of it.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh blimey, the Will fans are falling out now :D

Sorry ladies, as you were.....:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl, Clare and Darius last year handled the songs they were given on PSTOS very well too, and to praise from the judges, thankfully, they didn't all take it into their heads to release albums off the back of it.

I doubt you know that Joe had already been "in talks" with Universal before PSTOS and after his win and praise he asked that the training he got shouldn't go to waste (or words like that) and he would like to include some of the arias in the new album. He had to record it in six days from start to finish as he didn't have time while the show was on.

Keels, we are not falling out about Will though! ;)

By the way, Will's "classical" piece was from Carmen Jones! And he made a pretty good fist of it. Apparently it was supposed to be Gareth singing it but Will took over - I wonder why! I read this in the Mirror at the time.
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »

He has only tried two genres (note no apostrophe!) in the past TWO years. Pop and classical. And why shouldn't he?

Well excuse me for being such a clod and slap my thighs and call me Betty, however could I make such a glaring error on such an important matter.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Luck to Joe;)

He has a good voice, and is definitely a better singer than Olly Muirs, which is why he beat him on X Factor:) Unfortunately for Joe though, the powers to be got the songs right for Olly but wrong for him!
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    I know you don't want me to post on here

that is not true. everyone that has an opinion is welcome. this is a forum. this thread i`m sure, was not designed as a joe bashing exercise. i think the op like myself was fed up with the lack of objectivity. that is in the x factor forum on this issue.

i have read your posts in this thread with an open mind. although, it is nothing i haven't heard already. they are important points that other people may not be aware of. i have to say that it must be an exciting time for you being a fan of joe and will`s. i hope that you fully enjoy what they have to offer. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much! The album is excellent - it arrived from Amazon yesterday which was a suprise. I got Will's in the same post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    What joe needs is to decide where he is going In the Rock world You can write a song do a Kick ass version and draw attention to yourself In the POP world you must have at least some sort of gimic Joe has a voice but his soul is lacking If you want proof Listen to Luthor Vandross sing Dance With My Father Rolando told Joe to Go to The academy and learn Opera 3 years or so If joe does that and if he is as good as Rolando says He will have a career for life Not just a few POP moments in the sun Joe doesn't wite songs He will not have even close to Rock shot Other than that He can try the Dave Matthews approach of hard work years on the road and learning the the hard way Joe you don't have the pizazz to be a POP star or the toughness of a rock star but you could end up singing for the Queen if you went to the Royall Academy and Became an Opera singer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe already performed for the Queen and the Royal Family at Buckingham Palace a few months ago.

One thing that Joe definitely has is soul. And that is why people stopped and listen as a young man sings Dance With My Father, applauded and gave a standing ovation. And now #1 in the classical itunes. :)

It hasn't been the easiest ride for this young man with a dream to just perform for the world. People that he thought he could trust led him the wrong way and gave him no support.

But you know what, he never gave up as people tried to bring him down. He kept standing and came back with a real label at Universal, and delivered a really fantastic album. That is a lot of spirit and soul, and he just turned 20. :)
  • Options
    MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know what regular music fans think about Joe McElderry's second chance and what they think of him doing classical crossover covers rather than the kind of pop he did on his Wide Away album under Syco.

As an older fan of Joe Mcelderry - I was disappointed with the first album. Not that it wasnt a good pop album but it wasnt what I was expecting after hearing him sing on the x factor.

I think SC and Syco completely got it wrong - and totally failed to realise that a great number of Joe's fans are in the older age group and loved what he sang on the x factor.

This Classic album is more than I could have hoped for.
    It showcases his lovely voice beautifully - and he performs classic songs in his own unique style.

I totally agree that musical theatre is something that Joe could excel at - his voice is made for it - and I'm sure that one day we will see him on the West End.

But in the meantime - more albums like Classic would be great.

I hope he carries on with vocal training - not necessarily the full opera route - but so that he can continue to do some classical/crossover in his repertoire. I was shocked to hear him say in an interview recently that the only vocal training he has had was with the coaches on the x factor and with Rolando and Katherine etc on Popstar to Operastar. It is testament to his having a beautiful voice that he sings as he does with such little training. How amazing could his voice be with more training.

I am a big fan of the classical crossover genre and of many artists and voices and I would say that judging by other artists - e.g. Jonathan Ansell, Russell Watson, Aled Jones, to name just a few - fans tend to be very loyal and long supporting...

Joe has said that he loves singing classical/crossover/emotional ballads etc - so hopefully he will chose this route as the way forward in the future. It's my personal opinion that the pop route is not for him and wouldnt bring him the success a voice like his deserves.

Personally I think Joe sings with a lot of soul - given that he is only 20 years old. His versions of Dance with My Father, I Dreamed a dream and Hear my Prayer on the Classic album - are very emotional. He is still very young and can only get better vocally/emotionally/soulfully as he trains and matures.

So in answer to the question posted by the OP - these are my thoughts - and I have tried my best to give a truly objective view. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't actually understand that he didn't have any singing lessons before X-Factor. Didn't he go to a performing arts college or have I misunderstood?
  • Options
    MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that is what I thought Gill.
    But he said in the interview that he hadnt had any proper singing lessons.
    So I'm assuming by that he meant no in depth vocal coaching of the same nature as in x factor and PSTOS.
    Maybe he wasnt counting anything that was part of a performing art course?
    There may not have been "one to one" vocal coaching on that?
    He may just have meant that he hadnt been to a private vocal coach?

I was a bit confused too. :confused:

But whatever - his voice without any "in depth" training is already great. :)
  • Options
    jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merity wrote: »
    As an older fan of Joe Mcelderry - I was disappointed with the first album. Not that it wasnt a good pop album but it wasnt what I was expecting after hearing him sing on the x factor.

I think SC and Syco completely got it wrong - and totally failed to realise that a great number of Joe's fans are in the older age group and loved what he sang on the x factor.

This Classic album is more than I could have hoped for.
    It showcases his lovely voice beautifully - and he performs classic songs in his own unique style.

I totally agree that musical theatre is something that Joe could excel at - his voice is made for it - and I'm sure that one day we will see him on the West End.

But in the meantime - more albums like Classic would be great.

I hope he carries on with vocal training - not necessarily the full opera route - but so that he can continue to do some classical/crossover in his repertoire. I was shocked to hear him say in an interview recently that the only vocal training he has had was with the coaches on the x factor and with Rolando and Katherine etc on Popstar to Operastar. It is testament to his having a beautiful voice that he sings as he does with such little training. How amazing could his voice be with more training.

I am a big fan of the classical crossover genre and of many artists and voices and I would say that judging by other artists - e.g. Jonathan Ansell, Russell Watson, Aled Jones, to name just a few - fans tend to be very loyal and long supporting...

Joe has said that he loves singing classical/crossover/emotional ballads etc - so hopefully he will chose this route as the way forward in the future. It's my personal opinion that the pop route is not for him and wouldnt bring him the success a voice like his deserves.

Personally I think Joe sings with a lot of soul - given that he is only 20 years old. His versions of Dance with My Father, I Dreamed a dream and Hear my Prayer on the Classic album - are very emotional. He is still very young and can only get better vocally/emotionally/soulfully as he trains and matures.

So in answer to the question posted by the OP - these are my thoughts - and I have tried my best to give a truly objective view. :)

well said merity :)
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    In my opinion this won't be a huge album for him, infact I can't even see this selling as much as his first if I'm honest. He isn't an opera singer, people didn't take to him as a pop singer so really he's not appealing to any market. Rhydian couldn't even gain lots of success and he had a much better operatic voice, so Joe will struggle in my opinion.

The best route for Joe would be musical theatre. He'd excel at that.

I agree with this.

As a popstar - I can't see it.
    As a musical theatre performer - definately!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion this won't be a huge album for him, infact I can't even see this selling as much as his first if I'm honest. He isn't an opera singer, people didn't take to him as a pop singer so really he's not appealing to any market. Rhydian couldn't even gain lots of success and he had a much better operatic voice, so Joe will struggle in my opinion.

The best route for Joe would be musical theatre. He'd excel at that.

Joe's album is still No. 2 in the midweeks. If it stays there it will exceed the first album and even if it drops it is doing extremely well and has obviously "hit the spot" for many people. For instance I gather he has 9 out of 10 on iTunes Classical singles list. Not bad for someone who "isn't an opera singer". Not that he ever said he was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No3 in its third week well done Joe!
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love Joe. I'm not buying this album (not my kind of music) but i'm really pleased it's doing so well. I was worried when his last album didn't sell well, it was fantastic, so I'm glad he's getting the success he deserves now :D
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nate27 wrote: »
    Joe already performed for the Queen and the Royal Family at Buckingham Palace a few months ago.

One thing that Joe definitely has is soul. And that is why people stopped and listen as a young man sings Dance With My Father, applauded and gave a standing ovation. And now #1 in the classical itunes. :)

It hasn't been the easiest ride for this young man with a dream to just perform for the world. People that he thought he could trust led him the wrong way and gave him no support.

But you know what, he never gave up as people tried to bring him down. He kept standing and came back with a real label at Universal, and delivered a really fantastic album. That is a lot of spirit and soul, and he just turned 20. :)

Seems like he's desperate to be a famous celebrity to me...wouldnt be suprised if he pops up on some other reality tv show in the future to try for another bite of the cherry. Didnt he get the message the first time...
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    Oh God, can't he just disappear now? Or is he just going to go around entering ITV competitions for the rest of his life and selling off the back of those? Should have never made it through Judge's Houses on X Factor much less won. He has a good voice but zero star quality.
  • Options
    oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a shame to see that the uber-fans have hijaked even this thread. I can totally see what the OP means about Joe McElderry's fanbase and their total lack of objectivity. It honestly does feel like you can't critique or express a dislike for this guy in the slightest without the same handful of posters waiting to hunt down any offending posts and rushing to drown it all out by flooding everything with a love-in.

Isn't the Appreciation thread and the number of praise threads enough? Why can't people mature enough to have a bit of objectivity have even one thread without this back-slapping hijack boredom?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't posted on this thread as I just don't get it. Someone can put forward an opinion which is less than positive about Joe as fair enough he doesn't do it for them and then someone else comes on and offers a counter view and gets accused of turning into an appreciation thread:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's like one kind of opinion is allowed on here - it's like an anti - appreciation thread :confused:
  • Options
    oh viennaoh vienna Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adayseye wrote: »
    I haven't posted on this thread as I just don't get it. Someone can put forward an opinion which is less than positive about Joe as fair enough he doesn't do it for them and then someone else comes on and offers a counter view and gets accused of turning into an appreciation thread:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's like one kind of opinion is allowed on here - it's like an anti - appreciation thread :confused:

It's the way how it's always the same few fans which make it look bad more than anything. It comes across as an organized attempt at trying to stifle anything that isn't positive. It happens in thread after thread and judging by a couple of the replies from more objective posters, I don't think I'm the only one who can see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I like Joe's new album Classic. Good for him giving another genre a go.