which is the best value for money

Comments

• Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 7 32GB - £199

iPad mini 32GB - £349

What do you get for the extra £150? As far as I can see not a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    As John said above, there isn't much difference between the two so I think it depends on your preferences.

Are you an Android or iOS user? Do you mind switching between operating systems?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    One gives you NFC, GPS, high resolution, very modern (very fast) processor, fully featured LATEST operating system.

the other gives you a fruit logo on the back and takes more of your money.

Unless you are already deeply embedded in the apple ecosystem then IMHO its a no-brainer.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in fairness I would wait until after the postponed Google announcement to see exactly what you are comparing...

But yeah, unless you have a particular love for Apple, or need to plug a guitar into your tablet, Nexus wins hands down. (v happy N7 owner)
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    glagys wrote: »
    really confused now

see that Nexus 7 32GB is out soon
    so should i go for that or the
    iPad mini

anyone got a good site to compare the products
    which is the best value for money

It's a personal choice. I have a Kindle, MacBook Pro, iPad 2 and iPhone 4 so everyone thought I'd want the iPad mini. But actually a few months ago I got the 16GB Nexus 7. It's a great tablet, higher resolution than iPad mini, decent range of apps and I can use it for the things I like e.g. Skype, Kindle books etc. I have doubletwist to sync iTunes stuff but frankly haven't used that yet.

iPad mini also looks like a good machine, with access to the iTunes app store, seamless syncing with iTunes.

It really just depends on what you want to do. But I have found that it helps *me* to have a slightly wider ecosystem than just one provider. And that to me was a surprise.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad mini will give you larger screen area over the Nexus 7, a rear facing camera (and a good one at that) and options for video (and sound) output to a TV or monitor, neither of which are available on the 7.

I have a 3rd generation iPad and a Nexus 7, and the iPad provides a better user experience without question. I'm quite interested in comparing the mini to the larger iPad (and to the 7) first hand to see if there is any degradation of user experience or not.

There are also significantly more apps enhanced for iPad, or designed especially for the iPad than there are tablet optimised apps on Android. This situation is improving all the time, but tablet app development on Android is at nowhere near the level it is iOS.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    The iPad mini will give you larger screen area over the Nexus 7, a rear facing camera (and a good one at that) and options for video (and sound) output to a TV or monitor, neither of which are available on the 7.

I have a 3rd generation iPad and a Nexus 7, and the iPad provides a better user experience without question. I'm quite interested in comparing the mini to the larger iPad (and to the 7) first hand to see if there is any degradation of user experience or not.

There are also significantly more apps enhanced for iPad, or designed especially for the iPad than there are tablet optimised apps on Android. This situation is improving all the time, but tablet app development on Android is at nowhere near the level it is iOS.

A larger screen area but a lower resolution than the Nexus. A rear facing camera, great, but who really takes pictures with a tablet often? It still has the front facing camera for video calls. Output to TV is a superfluous feature for a tablet tbh. Most people have superior means of displaying media available.

Not to mention the Nexus 7 is far more powerful, and actually has GPS unlike the Mini. A quad-core processor for £199 is insane value, and the device is linked straight into Google Play which is great and has a pretty much equivalent service to the App Store. Google even give you Transformers for free with the device. 'Better user experience' is just personal opinion and very much debatable. Especially with Jelly Bean, it is definitely a very real contender for best tablet out right now. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I use skifta to push audio/video directly to my smart TV from my nexus 7.

I can also access the other way using dnla.

Not sure what better options the iPad has (unless you have forked out even more for apple TV) ?:confused:

And the whole point of android is that apps don't have to be designed specifically for tablets.... any resolution and they "just work" ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Especially with Jelly Bean, it is definitely a very real contender for best tablet out right now. :)

t3 think so

What HiFi think so
  • Options
    copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »

What Hifi have little credibility, especially giving near hundred pound HDMI cables, 5 out of 5 stars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    copthis1 wrote: »
    What Hifi have little credibility, especially giving near hundred pound HDMI cables, 5 out of 5 stars.

feel free to add your own award links...
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »

And the whole point of android is that apps don't have to be designed specifically for tablets.... any resolution and they "just work" ;)

Do they simply scale up for tablets, or do they actually have a different interface optimised for a tablet?

More and more iOS apps are "universal", instead of being iPhone only (which can scale up) or iPad only, and are optimised for whatever you run them on. You don't just get a scaled up version when run on an iPad, you often get a different interface, aimed specifically at the iPad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still, if choosing between the Nexus 7 or the Mini, I'd say go for the Nexus 7 (unless, as mentioned, you're already embedded in the Apple ecosystem).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Do they simply scale up for tablets, or do they actually have a different interface optimised for a tablet?

More and more iOS apps are "universal", instead of being iPhone only (which can scale up) or iPad only, and are optimised for whatever you run them on. You don't just get a scaled up version when run on an iPad, you often get a different interface, aimed specifically at the iPad.

A mixture. Some just scale up, others auto adjust to a different look and feel depending on phone/tablet mode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, that's good :)

Is that something introduced with ICS then?
  • Options
    tojoxjtojoxj Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nenus 7 doesn't do ITV Player or SKYgo, don't know about C4 or C5. It does BBC though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tojoxj wrote: »
    Nenus 7 doesn't do ITV Player or SKYgo, don't know about C4 or C5. It does BBC though.

got ITV Player on mine :confused:

Sky are dragging their heels on any Android support at the moment. C4 and C5 both want you to use their website, which does work, though might need Firefox+Flash.
  • Options
    omeletpercyomeletpercy Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Nexus by far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got ITV Player on mine :confused:

actually, I must have sideloaded it. But it works fine.
  • Options
    tojoxjtojoxj Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually, I must have sideloaded it. But it works fine.

Oh please tell me how it's done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tojoxj wrote: »
    Oh please tell me how it's done.

well to be on the safe side, I extract the apks (the installation files) myself, by:

- installing the app from Google Play onto a device that is supported
    - running backup software to copy the apks to the sd card
    - copy from the sd card to pc

(if that's too much of a faff, get the apk direct from somewhere reliable like xda)

- copy apk to your nexus 7 - I just email it to my gmail account
    - disable the 'only install from reliable sources' setting
    - run apk. ITV Player installed
    - re-enable 'only install from reliable sources' if you're particularly security conscious.

done a few like this, notably the Starbucks app, espn goals and some of the orange apps.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    But yeah, unless you have a particular love for Apple, or need to plug a guitar into your tablet

Not a love for some people, just that it interfaces well with other Apple products.

To have an ipad as a standalone, or to interface with Windows is to miss out on quite a bit of the function.

I appreciate your comments about the guitar (and other instruments) might be a bit of fun, but you'd be surprised how many people use this.

I currently have a song on the go, that I needed our keyboards player (that sounds grander than it is) to look at and maybe do an arrangement on. I'm not at home (with another musician) so did it on the iPad and emailed to him, where he is working in the 'States. He knocked up the arrangement, recorded it and emailed it back to the iPad.

Niche. Of course. But useful to me.

And isn't that the point. It's what a product can do for the individual. Not "mines bigger than yours"
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »

And isn't that the point. It's what a product can do for the individual. Not "mines bigger than yours"

That certainly is the point - and one a lot of people seem to get hung up on. If something costs more but does what you want then 'so what'. A phone, or anything else for that matter can do a lot of stuff but it's not always what you want.

I've a Blackberry Playbook because it suits me and what I want to do.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I've a Blackberry Playbook because it suits me and what I want to do.

I have been using a 16GB Playbook all year and I have been reasonably happy with it but I'm still considering upgrading to the 32GB Nexus.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    glagys wrote: »
    really confused now

see that Nexus 7 32GB is out soon
    so should i go for that or the
    iPad mini

There is a market and reason to buy for both, if you want cheap, and don't mind it being entirely built from plastic to bring it to market cheap, consider the Nexus.

But, as an ex Nexus 7 owner, either try one first, or buy from somewhere that allows no hassle returns, specifically make sure you are happy with typing on the Nexus, as I found text input and copy/paste/edit to be awful. I even used some of the £15 to buy all the aftermarket keyboards, all were equally bad.

As someone who types a lot on the device, and does a lot of text editing while commuting, the Nexus 7 was truly bad, chasing the 2 little blue triangles around to select text was an exercise in frustration.

I sold the Nexus 7 after about 3 weeks, and went back to full size iPad and have now ordered a Mini. I just hope that they have maintained the excellent typing ability and text editing in the scale down.

Then there is the higher quality materials and build of the iPad.

Just like there is a market for the Kia and the Chevrolet, as well as the BMW and Mercedes in the car market, so there is space for the Nexus7 and iPad in the tech market.