Options

Politically incorrect sitcoms

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What to you was the most politically incorrect sitcom ever? To me it has to be Mind Your Language, ironically written by the scriptwriter of the equally controversial Love Thy Neighbour, which stereotyped every nation on earth and hasn't been shown for decades. However, I have to admit a lot of these sitcoms were amusing as they sent everyone up and even white Englishmen didn't escape the joke.

Comments

• Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gimme, Gimme, Gimme
    Little Britain
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    What to you was the most politically incorrect sitcom ever? To me it has to be Mind Your Language, ironically written by the scriptwriter of the equally controversial Love Thy Neighbour, which stereotyped every nation on earth and hasn't been shown for decades. However, I have to admit a lot of these sitcoms were amusing as they sent everyone up and even white Englishmen didn't escape the joke.

The classic of course was "'allo! 'allo!"

Given the time it was first shown, there would have been a lot of ex-service men in this country still alive who'd been through the last war as had my dad, from Dunkirk to D Day.
    But because it sent every nationality up, he loved it.
  • Options
    Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MYL was a dreadful programme. Not only was it racist, it reduced each racial stereotype to one or two features and made sure they appeared once each in each episode - lazy writing. It used to make me squirm back when I didn't really know that much better, now I would be writing letters of protest.
  • Options
    Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allo Allo was equally bad - one joke that was mildly funny at first spreads increasingly thinly over a sitcom extended well past its useful life.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Allo 'Allo was a classic British farce - at least it was funny, unlike "Mind your language".
    Admittedly it did overstay its welcome - when it first started it was a parody of the popular drama Secret Army, which maybe lost on younger viewers;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    Allo Allo was equally bad - one joke that was mildly funny at first spreads increasingly thinly over a sitcom extended well past its useful life.

I think I must have watched a different show....perversely I did't watch Allo Allo when it was first aired but I have watched many of the countless repeats over the years and to be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about and I'am somewhat baffled to discover some DS members find the show politically incorrect...I just found it funny
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The classic of course was "'allo! 'allo!"

Given the time it was first shown, there would have been a lot of ex-service men in this country still alive who'd been through the last war as had my dad, from Dunkirk to D Day.
    But because it sent every nationality up, he loved it.

It showed the Brits as upper class twits, the French as lazy and devious, the Germans as stupid and kinky, the Italians as cowards, no one escaped the joke and it was a massively popular sitcom.
    Currently working through a DVD of Love Thy Neighbour and actually the bigoted white character, Eddie, is the butt of most of the jokes and always comes of worse.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have never seen Love thy Neighbour but my mum and dad told me all about it. They said some of it was actually funny but they felt uncomfortable finding bits of it funny because of where we lived. When was Mind your Language on?

On the Buses is dreadfully un PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen Love thy Neighbour but my mum and dad told me all about it. They said some of it was actually funny but they felt uncomfortable finding bits of it funny because of where we lived. When was Mind your Language on?

On the Buses is dreadfully un PC.

Mind Your Language was shown in the late seventies, Love Thy Neighbour was an earlier sitcom by Vince Powell, who wrote Mind Your Language as well as the less controversial Nearest and Dearest and Bless This House.
    However, with the massive popularity of Mrs Brown's Boys, I think there has finally been a big fightback against achingly PC alternative humour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Only fools...

Fawlty towers...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the great sitcoms were un PC, as the scriptwriters weren't hidebound by rules on what to say. Fair does, some of the old sitcoms were hopeless, but most of the classics were written between 1965 and 1985 before the alternative new guard moved in.
    Don't get me wrong, Ben Elton is a fantastic scriptwriter from the new guard, reating Blackadder and The Thin Blue Line, but it's just I prefer Johnny Speight( ironically a communist), Chesney and Hawkes, John Sullivan, Perry and Croft and Vince Powell as scriptwriters.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Steptoe & Son and Only Fools & Horses both have a grittiness in the writing that at times could be deemed Politically Incorrect.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the great sitcoms were un PC, as the scriptwriters weren't hidebound by rules on what to say. Fair does, some of the old sitcoms were hopeless, but most of the classics were written between 1965 and 1985 before the alternative new guard moved in.
    Don't get me wrong, Ben Elton is a fantastic scriptwriter from the new guard, reating Blackadder and The Thin Blue Line, but it's just I prefer Johnny Speight( ironically a communist), Chesney and Hawkes, John Sullivan, Perry and Croft and Vince Powell as scriptwriters.

The one and only?
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Til Death Us Do Part has got to be up there amongst the biggest politically incorrect sitcoms. Old Alf was the biggest bigot around, he hated just about everyone except the Queen!!
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Heil Honey, I'm home

Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun move in next door to a Jewish couple. Oh the hilarity.

I kid you not

Only 1 episode was aired before it was pulled
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me an un PC comedy any day, over most of the modern tokenistic, moral laden crap we are served up these days.

It's no surprise that shows like The Inbetweeners stand out alone as brilliant comedy, because they don't give a rats arse about being PC
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one and only?

Love it!
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birds of a feather was politically incorrect, as there was no way in hell that a couple of burglars would spend that amount of time in prison. :D

I guess that Spitting Image could had been classed as politically incorrect some of the time, as well as Hale & Pace.

TV was so much better where there was this kind of material on TV. Which is why things like the Gene Hunt character was so great in Life on Mars & Ashes to Ashes.

Give me these type of programs over all things like "Our queen" crap any day of the week.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Office and how Brent would over over elaborate to the point of being excruciatingly patronising when in the company of the black employee or the girl in the wheelchair, Hillarious.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

How many more ways can one FM think of talk about LTN and Mind your language, again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    Til Death Us Do Part has got to be up there amongst the biggest politically incorrect sitcoms. Old Alf was the biggest bigot around, he hated just about everyone except the Queen!!

Erm he also liked George V, West Ham, beer, Winston Churchill and Enoch Powell, however, he hated everyone else.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,078
    Forum Member
    It Ain't Half Hot Mum
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    'Allo 'Allo was a classic British farce - at least it was funny, unlike "Mind your language".
    Admittedly it did overstay its welcome - when it first started it was a parody of the popular drama Secret Army, which maybe lost on younger viewers;)

Several actors who appeared in Secret Army also appeared in Allo Allo

Richard Marner, Hilary Minster, Guy Siner and John D. Collins

5 years ago a German channel bought the rights to Allo Allo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7286459.stm
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give me an un PC comedy any day, over most of the modern tokenistic, moral laden crap we are served up these days.

It's no surprise that shows like The Inbetweeners stand out alone as brilliant comedy, because they don't give a rats arse about being PC

I know, 'Down With PC Crap!'
    It's not as if all those PC stuff has stopped those who are determined to behave a certain way.

Everybody's way oversensitive these days and I don't appreciate liberal do gooders making decisions on my behalf.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold repeated the Germans episode of Fawlty Towers last night complete with the Major's racist language.