Options

eBay - Seller sent me wrong item, what would you do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't care about the cost in this instance but I'd like to know for future reference in case I bought something expensive.

I bought two games from a seller with good feedback. One was the wrong game inside the case of the game I actually wanted, and the other one is dodgy and takes several reboots to start but plays fine eventually. I opened a case for the wrong game and they refunded my money for a return, but the postage was free originally and now I'll have to pay almost the cost of the full refund to return the game anyway, meaning I'm paying to return the game when it was their fault and I'm the one losing out...

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    The game is only a couple of quid? I'd just leave negative feedback as they're not a good seller if they won't pay for their error.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Email to say that you will be forced to leave negative feedback unless they can refund all your money.

And if they refuse, leave them a stinker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Email to say that you will be forced to leave negative feedback unless they can refund all your money.

The game is only a couple of quid? I'd just leave negative feedback as they're not a good seller if they won't pay for their error.

They did refund the cost of the item but as the postage was free I'll have to pay to send it back which would be almost the cost of the item.

Are we allowed to ask for a further refund of whatever the cost is to send it back?

It cost less than £2... I can't be bothered sending it back I'd rather bin it lol but I have to I suppose.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They did refund the cost of the item but as the postage was free I'll have to pay to send it back which would be almost the cost of the item.

Are we allowed to ask for a further refund of whatever the cost is to send it back?

It cost less than £2... I can't be bothered sending it back I'd rather bin it lol but I have to I suppose.

No you don't - you shouldn't be left any worse off than you started. Email and say that unless they refund your postage you are not prepared to return it. Why should you be out of pocket for their mistake?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you don't - you shouldn't be left any worse off than you started. Email and say that unless they refund your postage you are not prepared to return it. Why should you be out of pocket for their mistake?

You're right, thanks
  • Options
    Jaydogg_HomeJaydogg_Home Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Email them, explain whats what, ask them if they can send you the right disc with a stamped addressed envelope in the other one, then get the wrong disc in the envelope and send it back.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, thanks

send him a message saying you want him to pay for return postage, hes sent you the wrong stuff so its his responsability, even if thats not what ebay say, i am a powerseller on ebay and in most cases if its only a couple of quid, i'd just apologise and refund and tell you to keep or bin the item, as for the other game if its faulty he should refund but i dont think you should hold it against him that the game doesnt always work, the last time he used it it might have worked ok, he should refund you in full for it though
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst that sounds like good advice I'm fairly certain that it's in eBay rules that you can't threaten someone with bad feedback in order to get what you want?
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Send them a message or open a case
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send them a message or open a case

They've already opened a case.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you had paid postage it wouldn`t always be refunded.

Ask the seller if they want it back. You never know, they may not.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was a Buy it Now purchase you are covered under the distance selling regulations which state you should not be left out of pocket if returning an item not fit for purpose (such as faulty, or in this case not what you ordered). This means that the seller SHOULD refund the cost of you returning the item to them along with the sale price. Getting some eBay sellers to realise the DSR apply to them though can be tricky.

If the item was won under auction you are not covered by DSR but you are by the sale of good act which allows you to have a refund but I am not sure what, if anything the SOG specifies about what happens in the instance of having to pay to return an item.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone ever consider a mistake could have been made and that the buyer is a chancer.
  • Options
    ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member

No! Don't mention feedback in your email! By all means say how dissapointed you are, but as soon as you threaten negative feedback, it becomes feedback extortion. The feedback can then be removed by ebay:

"Examples of feedback extortion

Buyer threatens to leave negative Feedback or low DSRs unless they get a full or partial refund for an item, including without posting the item back to the seller.
    "

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

My advice would be to complain in the case about how it isn't your fault and its unfair to expect you to be out of pocket. Keep it clear and concise and don't get all emotional about it! Ebay may well give you a postage label ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    anyone ever consider a mistake could have been made and that the buyer is a chancer.

What do you mean by a "chancer"?

And yes a mistake was made, on their end as I pointed out.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I contacted them to say if they wish for the item to be returned it would cost so and so amount for postage and the jiffy bag I had to buy. They'll either pay it or tell me to keep it I imagine.
  • Options
    Brady12Brady12 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    If it was a Buy it Now purchase you are covered under the distance selling regulations which state you should not be left out of pocket if returning an item not fit for purpose (such as faulty, or in this case not what you ordered). This means that the seller SHOULD refund the cost of you returning the item to them along with the sale price. Getting some eBay sellers to realise the DSR apply to them though can be tricky.

If the item was won under auction you are not covered by DSR but you are by the sale of good act which allows you to have a refund but I am not sure what, if anything the SOG specifies about what happens in the instance of having to pay to return an item.

All of the above only applies to a business seller though.