Upstairs Downstairs/Mapp & Lucia/Band of Gold

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Starting this Saturday itv encore have 3 classic series repeated. Time to set the sky plus

Comments

• chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have all three on DVD and have only watched Mapp & Lucia so far. It's one of my favourites: absolutely gloriously cynical and sarky, with fantastic performances from Geraldine McEwan and Prunella Scales. The BBC are due to remake it, with David Walliams (ugh) as Georgie. Dunno who will be the new M&L, but they'll have to do an awfully good job to beat the 80s version.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno re Mapp & Lucia. I found all the performances incredibly mannered. Must have been a directorial decision. Made a kind of pantomime out of it. Has anyone read them and can recommend them?
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I found watching some episodes of The Pallisers on BBC2 HD recently is that the image quality is quite good for these old video-originated series.

As long as they don't zoom them that is.
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought ITV Encore was to be the home of modern drama.....so whats the difference between ITV3 and ITV Encore..apart from Encore being pay tv.
  • SomecatsSomecats Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I have all three on DVD and have only watched Mapp & Lucia so far. It's one of my favourites: absolutely gloriously cynical and sarky, with fantastic performances from Geraldine McEwan and Prunella Scales. The BBC are due to remake it, with David Walliams (ugh) as Georgie. Dunno who will be the new M&L, but they'll have to do an awfully good job to beat the 80s version.

Here y'go. No David Walliams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/mapp-and-lucia-cast
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno re Mapp & Lucia. I found all the performances incredibly mannered. Must have been a directorial decision. Made a kind of pantomime out of it. Has anyone read them and can recommend them?

I've read (and love) the books. Only the last 3 were adapted for the 1980s TV series, but I understand elements of the 1st book (Queen Lucia) are to be incorporated into the new BBC adaptation.

There are also several 'sequels' written by other writers, of varying quality, but mostly trying to remain faithful to the originals.

I'm greatly looking forward to the new TV version, which is currently being filmed in Rye and due to be broadcast either around Christmas time or early next year.

Personally, I really liked the 80s version - it captured the charm and subtlety of the books.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,189
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    I've read (and love) the books. Only the last 3 were adapted for the 1980s TV series, but I understand elements of the 1st book (Queen Lucia) are to be incorporated into the new BBC adaptation.

There are also several 'sequels' written by other writers, of varying quality, but mostly trying to remain faithful to the originals.

I'm greatly looking forward to the new TV version, which is currently being filmed in Rye and due to be broadcast either around Christmas time or early next year.

Personally, I really liked the 80s version - it captured the charm and subtlety of the books.

I have one large volume containing all the Mapp and Lucia stories, and I found it in a charity shop for just £10, just about the best bargain that I have ever got. :)

I can't believe that they can improve on that perfect TV series, all of the actors were just as I imagined the characters in the books to be. Remakes are never as good as the original, but I'll reserve judgement until I have seen them. I think that Steve Pemberton might be quite good as Mr Georgie.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    I missed the first one last Saturday (of M&L), I didn't know it was on :( I've always wanted to see this series, I'm looking forward to it.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've read two or three of the books and they're quite good fun. I felt the 80s series captured the atmosphere of genteel hostility very effectively. Mannered performances ... hmmm ... Geraldine McEwan has always struck me as quite an "mannered" actor, and I could see little difference between her Lucia performance and her "Agatha Christie's Marple" performance.
    Tassium wrote: »
    What I found watching some episodes of The Pallisers on BBC2 HD recently is that the image quality is quite good for these old video-originated series.

As long as they don't zoom them that is.

I am getting stuck in to the Pallisers as we speak and enjoying it thus far.
    Somecats wrote: »

HOORAY! Thanks so much for that! Pippa Haywood as Mrs Wyse! Nice casting! :)
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,982
    Forum Member
    Someone I know has just returned from the location where they making the new Mapp & Lucia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Someone I know has just returned from the location where they making the new Mapp & Lucia.

Here's a bit about the filming from the local paper:

http://bit.ly/1rq1WOJ
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re episode one of Upstairs Downstairs. Very clever writing, introducing Sarah (and us) to 165 revealing the hierarchy and characters downstairs and Lady Bellamy upstairs (hiring and rechristening Sarah).
    Does anyone know if the original black & white version still exists and if it's basically the same?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    Re episode one of Upstairs Downstairs. Very clever writing, introducing Sarah (and us) to 165 revealing the hierarchy and characters downstairs and Lady Bellamy upstairs (hiring and rechristening Sarah).
    Does anyone know if the original black & white version still exists and if it's basically the same?

The original B&W version was never broadcast, and the tape was eventually destroyed.

As far as I'm aware, it's mostly the same as the transmitted colour version, except a different actress plays Matty. Also, Gordon Jackson had a slightly bruised face, having been involved in a car crash prior to filming.

An additional scene was included in the final part, which would explain Sarah's departure for overseas viewers, as the B&W episodes were never shown abroad.

The opening scenes (and closing scenes in the version where Sarah leaves at the end of the episode) were shot on location on colour film and are the only part of the original 1st episode to survive as they were filmed before the technicians' strike which forced the studio scenes to be filmed in B&W.