Where has it all gone wrong for Cher Lloyd?

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is no slagging thread. I rate her debut album which i have 10/10. Her audition was class. Her second album is also very very good 9/10 a few very good potential singles such as Bind Your Love, Killin It. Sirens is outstandingly good and under-rated - Kelly Clarkson could have had a huge hit with that song. Injustice!

Personally it went wrong:

Her debut album campaign was semi-successful spawning multiple hit singles and a 230,000 album which is good although the album should have done a little better. Then she surprisingly was a hit in America with Want U Back. Just like The Wanted, it wasn't she or them they were interested in just the song beyond that the USA wern't interested. Oath, With Ur Love and I Wish all flopped in the USA. LA Reid is to blame too her album was apparently finished last year and he made her wait. She could have released in the latter part of the year and performed on the XF UK and USA.

Also, the UK were left waiting 2-3 years for the next release by Cher and voila all her fans have vanished. This is similar to how Shayne Ward was evicted. Olly Murs releases an album every year even a re-release last year to stay in the limelight and voila the second album has flopped hugely in the UK. I mean why didn't they wait for the XF live shows and she could have performed Sirens on the show too. What a real shame. What a waste! She'll most likely be dropped in the UK and USA now. Personally can see Universal nabbing Cher easily, she so suits them.

Comments

• CalpowellCalpowell Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I wish was originally meant to be released in April/ May 2013 with the album out July. There were no major single or album releases at this time but Epic decided to delay the single until the end of august, where huge artists (Katy, gaga, 1D, Miley etc) were all releasing and the spotlight completely went from Cher. They then had her go in the I Wish tour just days after the single release, meaning she couldn't go on a radio tour or make tv performances as she was too busy, then at the end of September/ October when they finally decided to release the music video and then give it 1 TV performance on a breakfast show, people were over the song, and they then delay the album 7 months

No promo was giving to the album during the US release week apart from a performance on the today show. And she wasn't even in the UK to give it ANY promo for the album here, and over a two month delay releasing it in the UK when you could just get it off YouTube didn't help Esther.

However with no hits and no promotion the album didn't do too bad, with it peaking in the top 30 in many countries, and I wish has 40 million YouTube views so it's not all bad :)
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's signed to one of the worst labels in America, they don't know how to promote their artists at all.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she did two things wrong:

1. She had a hit in the US and decided to focus all her attention on there. A lot of people who invested time and money voting for her on The X Factor and buying her music would have been very annoyed I would imagine that she just ditched the UK for America after one hit there. She literally seemed to be gone from the UK music scene for years so she really needed a big budget UK re-launch campaign for this album but I've barely seen her promoted anywhere?

2. Her attitude/reputation. I know she says she's grown up now but the last I can remember of her, she was quite rude and I'm sure she made some catty comments aimed at Cheryl (who at the time was hugely popular with the UK). And I also remember her getting things thrown off her at a festival? So I think she was just generally disliked and instead of sticking it out and making a bigger name for herself she went to America and thought they loved her just because she had one big song.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Maybe she just isn't very good?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    She ditched the UK audience too quickly. Also whether she's grown up or not a lot of people don't pay attention to people after the show so when she releases a song it'll be "that brat from x Factor"
  • FatfeatheryowlFatfeatheryowl Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'd agree with much of what Carly_Thompson, Calpowell, and Blueface2222 say above. It's a combination of all of the above.

I have little doubt that if she had her time over again she'd approach X factor differently and would've emerged more "user friendly" but then that's nearly every 21 yr old talking to their 16 yr old self isn't it? It's just the rest of us weren't 16 in front of 12 million people. Personally I thought the "rude" bit was massively overblown, but I'm in a minority, I fear.

Yes, she did "OK" in the UK from S+S and its singles but when WUB took off big style in the USA there was simply no sane option but to run with it and go over there. It's sold well over 2 million and to put that in a UK context it would be the second or third best selling single ever. A hit single in the USA is just worth more in financial terms than here. Simples.

That said the decision to pair her with Becky G for the next single was odd (it smacked of a record label determined to get some form of demographic crossover whatever) and it's fizzled from there really; album delays etc etc. I'm not surprised at the UK situation. Without R1 or Capital you're essentially doomed and she's not seen as "cool", by the powers that be I guess.

Really with one or two exceptions the average "run" for a "popstar" is not much more than two or three years these days is it, and in that context she's done very well out of X Factor even if she did nothing else ever (which I hope isn't the case). She's somewhere between 3.5 and 4M worldwide singles and 400K albums and sometime next month will pass 500m Vevo views. It's not 1D, it's not Leona, it's not even Olly or JLS, but it's probably top 10 ish of alumni, and perfectly respectable. She also met her husband as a result of it all,

What next? Dunno? Maybe a change of label, maybe some acting? Whatever I wish her well as I think she got an overly rough ride from far too many in the UK, and way too many on here. Despite them all she's not done badly out of it all really.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she did two things wrong:

1. She had a hit in the US and decided to focus all her attention on there. A lot of people who invested time and money voting for her on The X Factor and buying her music would have been very annoyed I would imagine that she just ditched the UK for America after one hit there. She literally seemed to be gone from the UK music scene for years so she really needed a big budget UK re-launch campaign for this album but I've barely seen her promoted anywhere?

2. Her attitude/reputation. I know she says she's grown up now but the last I can remember of her, she was quite rude and I'm sure she made some catty comments aimed at Cheryl (who at the time was hugely popular with the UK). And I also remember her getting things thrown off her at a festival? So I think she was just generally disliked and instead of sticking it out and making a bigger name for herself she went to America and thought they loved her just because she had one big song.

you can't really believe any of these XF artists have any say in where they go and when. She was taken over by a US label at that point and that's how it remains, for some reason Want U Back was a hit and it seemed reasonable to try and have another.

It's going to be vey difficult to leave it 3 years between albums when your audience is very young, the music taste of an 11 year old is very different to that of a 14 year old, for me that would have been a shift from Showaddywaddy to The Clash:blush::

Add to that no radio 1 (or similar) airplay or even the back up of radio 2 that the likes of Cardle or R Ferguson might have, and a promo campaign that was little more than lip service, and you see why it's gone where it's gone in sales terms.

That all said, I'm not convinced it has gone wrong, it's just the fans have gone away....but who needs em, having fans is old hat:D
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was very overhyped IMO...she should count her lucky stars that at least she had a BIT of success in the USA. But to be fair to her in recent interviews, she has come across pretty well. Hated her attitude while in XF but she did a lot of growing up since thewn.
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Maybe she just isn't very good?

So are you saying that all artists that under-perform or don't reach the number 1 spot aren't very good either??
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Calpowell wrote: »
    So are you saying that all artists that under-perform or don't reach the number 1 spot aren't very good either??

Not at all, just a suggestion that's all
  • noelw1969noelw1969 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread makes no sense at all.

Put simply, it has not "all gone wrong" for Cher Lloyd. She is enjoying a successful career.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelw1969 wrote: »

Put simply, it has not "all gone wrong" for Cher Lloyd. She is enjoying a successful career.

She was dooing OK. Not successful at the moment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sirens is by far her best track to date. Absolutely criminal it has flopped so bad.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noelw1969 wrote: »

But her single and album struggled to chart
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dory353 wrote: »
    Sirens is by far her best track to date. Absolutely criminal it has flopped so bad.

Maybe i should have wrote how all that was going right for Cher Lloyd gone wrong!!!? Never mind!! :D

Yep of course she's had a successful career to date, but not currently her very good album and single have flopped in the UK and USA and i think she's going to lose both record labels. She may get a Universal deal i have a feeling. To be fair, the promo for this has been horrible no real push or passion from the label it's just been released with the realisation that it probably will flop and thus they can justify dropping her. If they really cared, they would have waited for the latter end of the year with a XF performance or done one single before the album.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swagger Jagger tarnished her chances at being big in the UK.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,790
    Forum Member
    Shove her onto a live show in October, get Cheryl to shed a tear about how proud she is of her, and she'll be #1 in no time.
  • lazy marelazy mare Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    She needs to get rid of the **** in her videos, do more interviews like the Alan Carr one, and come back less unlikeable.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She focused too much on america , even when the songs were not selling there . She could have carved out a great career in Japan and other European countries but she was stuck in the US . " sirens " was good, but was totally ignored by British radio , despite getting good airplay on most music channels . The 2 nd album deserved to do well, it's a shame .
    Forum Member
    It would be a gift sent from god if both of the labels dropped her! Syco are trash and unless you are 1D or keep releasing albums yearly they won't promote you, and Epic are too poor to promote her.

She performed at the TCA's the other day with Demi and their song is doing really well in the US
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Too much time off (and not doing anything else in the spotlight) for a young artist who had only just established herself. Poor single choices not even close to her previous sound, something uptempo pop like Bind Your Love would have been a much better idea given that she was still establishing herself. Not being *that* noteworthy in terms of personality, vocal talent, etc.

In the UK, mounting damage from her bad behavior plus the fact that mainstream pop acts come and go very fast (see: Lott, Pixie). In the US, the fact that it's almost impossible to make it as a new pop act past 1-2 hits unless you do something really different (Lorde), come out of the Disney factory, or are the cutest of cute boys.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    agree with all the comments I liked alone with me and goodnight but overall don't think it was as good as the first album I was a really big cher fan.
    and always supported her and think she is a nicer person as on the alan carr show but she basically doesn't care about her uk fans anymore she just tours the u.s.
    not even tweeting when she will be back it's all nice day in L.A or off to the recording studio no idea of dates or anything feel it was a mistake to go off to the U.S.
    So soon when she had only released one album in the uk 1d have have managed to keep their uk fanbase with apperances on x factor uk and children in need.
    cher has virtually no chance of a comeback in the uk I also think she and her management thought she'd be a big star in America.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't she sign to another Major US label a few months back or am I mixing her up with someone else?
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    Didn't she sign to another Major US label a few months back or am I mixing her up with someone else?

She has recently signed with a Universal record label, it has not been officially confirmed which one but rumours are its Republic (Ariana grande, Jessie J, Nicki Minaj etc.)

Cher will also feature on aston Merrygold (from JLS) debut single which should be out in the next month or two, she will also be on Little Mix's new album and also feature on one of CashCash's new songs