The scoreline(s) you've seen and said wow?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,936
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Following the Dagenham & Redbridge vs Brentford match last night just got me thinking what is the best game with a sort of similar scoreline or a score you saw on the telly and thought wow I wish I was a that game:confused:

I do wish I was at last night game as it sounds like fans got their money's worth I think that game could be on first on the League cup Highlights:o:D

Comments

• Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading 5-7 Arsenal in the league cup a couple of seasons ago must have been an incredible game to watch live.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle v Arsenal 4-4
  • jvilson29jvilson29 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Remember coming home from work a couple of years ago and seeing Chelsea 0-3 Sunderland on my TV and thinking wow. If i remember correctly Chelsea were down to 9 men that day though.
  • Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middlesbrough 8 - 1 Man City 2008 (Boro fan) ;-)

Man city at this time were still a top 6 chasing side
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palace 3 (0) Liverpool 3 (3)
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tottenham v Wigan Athletic (9-1) : Saw the final few minutes on Sky Sports news and assumed it was the wrong scoreline on display, until the announcer confirmed it.

Arsenal vs Liverpool: Liverpool scoring four times in the first 20 minutes had me ecstatic and dreaming I was there.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brazil v Germany of course
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy 5 - 3 France World Cup 2006 final of course :p

The one score line I found quite incredible was the Italy 3 - 1 Holland Euro 2000 semi-final score. Holland could have won that game 4:0 quite easily. They played incredible football and failed to score 2 penalties in normal time! Whereas the Italians were clearly the weaker side but held on with some dirty play, hard tackles and general nastiness. A reporter described the game "as beautiful as witnessing a low-riding Lamborghini beached on an ugly speed-bump." Of course I was happy for Italy :D
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manchester Utd 1-4 Qpr with a Dennis Bailey hat-trick

(New Years Day mid 90's ?)
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    Manchester Utd 1-4 Qpr with a Dennis Bailey hat-trick

(New Years Day mid 90's ?)

It was 1991/92 season. Final season before the Premier League,

I remember that game well. It was live on ITV. QPR were superb that day. Mind you, they finished fifth or sixth that season and were the highest finishing London club, and were in the middle of a really good run, so were certainly no mugs.

Man Utd threw away the title that season. It meant that they were still without a title win in 25 years. It would be the following season (and the first year of the Premier League) for them to finally win it again.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another really surprising result from that season was Leeds 6 Sheff Wed 1.

Of course, Leeds won the title, but Sheff Wednesday finished third. Sheff Wed were awarded a very dodgy penalty near the beginning of the game (Gordon Watson dived) but were then blown away by Leeds.

That was another game shown live on ITV.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    It was 1991/92 season. Final season before the Premier League,

I remember that game well. It was live on ITV. QPR were superb that day. Mind you, they finished fifth or sixth that season and were the highest finishing London club, and were in the middle of a really good run, so were certainly no mugs.

Man Utd threw away the title that season. It meant that they were still without a title win in 25 years. It would be the following season (and the first year of the Premier League) for them to finally win it again.

Thanks. Would never have thought it was 23 years ago :o
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Italy 5 - 3 France World Cup 2006 final of course :p

The one score line I found quite incredible was the Italy 3 - 1 Holland Euro 2000 semi-final score. Holland could have won that game 4:0 quite easily. They played incredible football and failed to score 2 penalties in normal time! Whereas the Italians were clearly the weaker side but held on with some dirty play, hard tackles and general nastiness. A reporter described the game "as beautiful as witnessing a low-riding Lamborghini beached on an ugly speed-bump." Of course I was happy for Italy :D

I can't say that I've ever thought 'Wow!', whilst watching a fairly standard penalty shoot-out.

United 6-1 Arsenal, in 2001. The first half was just unbelievable.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When we won 2-0 at Old Trafford a few years ago in the League Cup, besting the mighty likes of Dong Fangzhou and I dunno, William Prunier or something. That handful of months where Michael Mifsud could do no wrong (but could do lots of offsides) seems like a magical fairytale nowadays.
  • SweetlikeheavenSweetlikeheaven Posts: 5,035
    Forum Member
    Remember being at work and then checking the score straight after to see: Tottenham 0 - 5 Liverpool

Shocked would be an understatement
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly this era is now largely over as I tend to have flashscore open on match days - no surprises left.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't know if it made me go 'wow', but it did make me a bit sick :)

The Spurs/United game where Spurs were 3-0 up at half time and managed to lose 5-3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say that I've ever thought 'Wow!', whilst watching a fairly standard penalty shoot-out.

You would if your team won the World Cup :p

That Euro semi final was quite incredible though due to the sheer injustice of it and it was hardly a 'standard' penalty shoot out when a team misses 2 penalties in normal time another 3 in the shootout. It's still the record of most penalties missed in one game. That Dutch team was spectacular and I don't think I have seen them play better since.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    You would if your team won the World Cup :p

That Euro semi final was quite incredible though due to the sheer injustice of it and it was hardly a 'standard' penalty shoot out when a team misses 2 penalties in normal time another 3 in the shootout. It's still the record of most penalties missed in one game. That Dutch team was spectacular and I don't think I have seen them play better since.

Which is all well and good, but the thread title refers to 'scorelines'.

That's all that I meant.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

United 6-1 Arsenal, in 2001. The first half was just unbelievable.

I was out working during the 8-2 game and had to check several different sires and the news when I got home to make sure I wasn't seeing things :0
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Watford 7 Southampton 1
    League cup.1983
    What made this game all.the more amazing was that the first leg was,won.4/0 by saints, and saints,we're,a side flying. High in.old div 1 where Watford.we're struggling 2nd division.team.
    And I was,there to see it.all.happen
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Champions League final 1999. Went for to the ladies at 0-1 and had to queue.

Came out to 2-1 and hubby carrying a stranger round the pub on his shoulders :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is all well and good, but the thread title refers to 'scorelines'.

That's all that I meant.

Yes, I loved both scorelines :p and wish I was in the stadium for both (especially 2006 obviously).
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    Champions League final 1999.

>:( >:( >:(
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man United 1-6 Man City

I knew City were starting to become a bit of a force at that point, but seeing United leak 6 goals in their own back yard was something of a shocker.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle 5-0 Man Utd and Southampton 6-3 Man Utd in 1996.