Options

Anyone else seeing lots of giant house spiders

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Right now?

I've had three HUGE ones scurry across my living room floor this past week
and only one I managed to squash.

They terrify me shitless its the way they run its like a blurry dark thing flying across the floor :o

I guess this is mating season atm? please end soon.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the anti spider spray, you can get it on amazon.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This video has been doing the rounds on Facebook. It's genius!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoB8t0B4jx4
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Saw a big bugger in the bathroom last night - and it came running at me! Big mistake on his part. Normally I don't kill them but I was so surprised at the size and speed of it that I just reacted.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Right now?

They terrify me shitless its the way they run its like a blurry dark thing flying across the floor :o

why are you killing them? :confused:

Please dont tell me its because you are scared?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    why are you killing them? :confused:

Please dont tell me its because you are scared?

They shouldn't be in his house, trespassers will be executed.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    They shouldn't be in his house, trespassers will be executed.

just catch it and put it out

jesus, adults afraid of tiny insects:confused:
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I had one on the landing that had about a four inch leg span. There's one living in the bathroom that's bigger than normal house spiders but not massive. I leave it alone, except to encourage it out of the path of the shower water so it doesn't drown.

What always confuses me is how they get enough to eat, since I hardly ever see flying insects in the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No mind your own business deal with them how I want to.
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Putting them outside is actually not a great idea, although definitely better than killing them if you're too afraid to leave them in the house (which yes, is weird). House spiders can't survive in outside conditions and most people throw them out, which tends to burst their abdomen on landing.
  • Options
    technopawtechnopaw Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Saw a big bugger in the bathroom last night - and it came running at me! Big mistake on his part. Normally I don't kill them but I was so surprised at the size and speed of it that I just reacted.

spiders and indeed tarantulas, do not run at you, they have such bad eye sight that they barely see anything, they feel your presence, this big thundering giant and run asap. such a shame you all seem to kill them, spiders kill the critters that do damage to our homes and they go back into their "den" after a wee walk about.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 75,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't squash them unless they are the imports ( the ones with the white markings on their back.We don't want them spreading).
    They always come into houses in september as they've stocked up on insects all summer to survive the oncoming winter, they are looking for the remainders. They do a very useful job.
    I watched a World about us programme once and it said that if all the spiders disappeared overnight, all life on Earth would cease in 3 weeks. This is because insects would multiply without check and clog the air so oxygen breathers would choke to death.
    There's an old saying " If you want to live and thrive; let little spider run off alive!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry for killing them but I can't help it they scare me so much that I actually freeze from fear at standing on the carpet.

Can you buy the spray in a high street store? if so which
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    better than killing them if you're too afraid to leave them in the house (which yes, is weird).

Why is it confusing or weird? People's fears and phobias aren't necessarily "rational".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry for killing them but I can't help it they scare me so much that I actually freeze from fear at standing on the carpet.

No More Spiders

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=anti+spider&sprefix=anti+spid%2Caps%2C356
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I set the dog on them :blush:
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 75,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Scientists reckon; because they are so important; that is an ancient instinctive feeling so that you leave them well alone.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just caught a huge one with the glass and paper trick, then put it in the garden. Never kill them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, put a glass over the top and slide and piece of cardboard underneath and take them outside.

But I didn't know that house spiders may not survive outside, I just put one out yesterday and one today. I'll leave them alone from now on.

I can't understand the mentality of those people who just kill them.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lost count of the number of spiders I've had in the house this past week. I've never seen owt like it!
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    Yes, put a glass over the top and slide and piece of cardboard underneath and take them outside.

But I didn't know that house spiders may not survive outside, I just put one out yesterday and one today. I'll leave them alone from now on.

No especially considering they keep away the insects that really are a problem.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right now?

I had three of them out in the hallway a few days ago. almost had to waterboard myself when i was taking care of them with almost a full can of bloody raid .. i'm sure i got stoned on the fumes :)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,063
    Forum Member

Lakeland also do a spray. I've not tried it myself.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/51529/Spider-Stopper

Caught a big 'un last night with the old glass and cardboard method. Well, not actually a piece of cardboard, I use a free "Christmas with Cliff" CD from the Mail on Sunday. I find the size and thickness of the cover are perfect for this job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    :o OMG Weve had 3 of the huge ugly beasts in our house this week.I am totally terrified by them.Luckily OH was on hand to dispose of them outside.The 3rd one was actually on my sons bed,i almost vomited with shock,it was soo big.I did the old jug with a piece of lego board.But just seeing it in the jug with its huge eyes on stalks weighing me up had me gagging,shaking and sweating.I deposited it outside,i never ever kill them but I don't want them in my house.Why we fear these little creatures ive no idea:confused::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »

Because you don't suffer from arachnophobia. How lucky you are.

If you did suffer from it you might understand our "mentality"
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    If I can't remove them using a small box that I keep for the purpose then they go up the vacuum hoover (which is what normally happens).

I absolutely hate them.