Options

Will Eastenders give Jim an on screen funeral?

dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
Forum Member
✭✭
Firstly RIP John Bardon, a wonderful actor who helped made Jim Branning a unforgettable EE character. This now means that Eastenders will surely address Jim's death, probably at some point next year, he is still mentioned on screen and I think like Frank week it will bring great closure to the character. DTC has been nothing short of brilliant so far in bringing back former characters for storylines or big events and I see Jim's funeral being no different, I can surely see Scott Maslen back as Jack, and April Branning as well.

Comments

• Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it'd be a lovely send-off for a great character who has been a major part of EE history. It'd also be great to bring back the likes of Scott Maslen and Dean Gaffney in order to pay tribute to him.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to think so, be good to see Jack back.

I guess the actress they might find it hardest to get back for a funeral, is Patsy Palmer especially if is I'm em rolled in her LA work
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if they're considering re-writing a certain key return to tie in with it.
  • Options
    BringBackZsaZsaBringBackZsaZsa Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    They should have an onscreen funeral for Jim. They had one for Frank Butcher back in 2008 after Mike Reid's death which also helped bring back Ricky and Bianca. I think they should do a big Branning funeral with a horsedrawn carriage, all the Branning children etc.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be good to see April, Suzy, Robbie and Bianca back for Jim's funeral but I'd quite happily never see Jack, Joey or Alice ever again. Their absences could easily be explained however Jack was always a very selfish man and only ever cared for himself so I could imagine him not attending. And Alice and Joey never even knew Jim so wouldn't even need to be excused.
  • Options
    EE Fan 1990EE Fan 1990 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey could come back!!! What about Jaq jossas maternity leave tho? I'd expect her to be there
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I think they will, but not until next year. They waited a while to give Frank an on-screen funeral, so I can see them doing the same with Jim, it'll give them time to bring back as much of his family as they can. Maybe in March next year after the big anniversary storyline has settled down.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they will in time as a way of honoring the actor but they probably want to consult with his family and also think of the best way of doing it in terms of returning characters, how Dot moves and if she is tied up with Nick and charlie for several months they might leave it for a while.

RIP John Bardon.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joey could come back!!! What about Jaq jossas maternity leave tho? I'd expect her to be there

They could maybe get her to do one episode during her leave, as it's for John/Jim.
  • Options
    bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,841
    Forum Member
    Such a shame to hear the news of John's passing.

I'm in two minds - a big funeral would be fantastic with everybody returning.

However, it would also be really touching to see a three-hander, with Dot, Max and Carol taking Jim somewhere special to scatter his ashes.

Of course they could always do both. The first would maybe require a lot more planning and with Dot already at the centre of a big storyline, I'm not sure how it would fit in!
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should do a funeral for him on screen he was a legend
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    I can't remember if they did it on EE but I remember on Corrie they used to show a picture of the actor and a caption at the end of the end credits when a well known cast member died. It was a dignified and not overly slushy way of paying respects.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summer_ste wrote: »
    I can't remember if they did it on EE but I remember on Corrie they used to show a picture of the actor and a caption at the end of the end credits when a well known cast member died. It was a dignified and not overly slushy way of paying respects.

This is what they're doing tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »
    This is what they're doing tonight.

Oh good, that's nice (in a sad way, obviously).
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    I think they should do a funeral for him on screen he was a legend

I agree a with you.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so!
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I very much hope so! Frank butchers funeral was done very well! I hope they so the same for jim, it would fit in very nicely with the nick and charlie stuff too IMO. I'd like to see lots of flashbacks like at franks funeral, however, if they were to do a funeral for Jim.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They probably have the whole storyline ready.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's so many bloody Brannings out there I'm sure they will round a few up to give him a send off. Lola had better be careful though, as a blonde Mitchell she's statistically guaranteed to fall pregnant by Jack if he pops back for 20 minutes.
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they did would be nice to do it around the 30 th anniversary. Would be a fantastic opportunity to remember a great character and actor
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see

Lily (his ex wife / Dot's friend)
    Bianca
    Alan. Maybe Blossom
    Jack
    Tanya

Who else should be there?
  • Options
    IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see

Lily (his ex wife / Dot's friend)
    Bianca
    Alan. Maybe Blossom
    Jack
    Tanya

Who else should be there?

Jim and Lilly were never together. Jims wife Reenie died in 1999
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually really like the idea of just scattering his ashes with just Dot, Carol, Sonia, Max and Patrick. If there is to be any return, it should be Robbie as he was closer to his grandfather than his children ever were but I wouldn't be totally against Jack popping back as long as April and Suzy did too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would be nice if they had a scene of Dot on the london eye again, remembering when he proposed to her.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean_of_sb wrote: »
    Such a shame to hear the news of John's passing.

I'm in two minds - a big funeral would be fantastic with everybody returning.

However, it would also be really touching to see a three-hander, with Dot, Max and Carol taking Jim somewhere special to scatter his ashes.

Of course they could always do both. The first would maybe require a lot more planning and with Dot already at the centre of a big storyline, I'm not sure how it would fit in!

I Definitely think there should be an onscreen funeral but a smaller one with only Dot and his surviving children if they decide to ask those who left back for it.