hp and windows 8

I set up my new hp g6 laptop yesterday and I was getting so confused with this windows 8 and how to do it . can anyone help me how can I get two webpages up at once so I can go searching online and have a screen with a video playing or big bro live at the same time , and also I was on the hp tonight and it kept getting suck when I was online at the same time the vents at the side and underneath was really blowing air out fast and a loud fan noise was happing I had to take the battery out to get it to worh again does anyone know what this means , please help , thankyou:( :confused:

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As to having two web pages up, you just have to click the 'Desktop' tile and you are into the Desktop, which works exactly the same as the Windows 7 desktop, and you can have as many windows open as you like, including multiple browser windows.

I don't think it's possible to have two browsers open in the Modern/Metro interface, but why does that matter when you have the desktop?
    You can have the Modern/Metro browser open in a third of the screen, and the Desktop occupying the rest of the screen, if you wish.

The other problem seems like something is stuck using all the computer resources.
    To find out what, open up Task Manager by going to the Start screen and typing "task", and choose the first option that comes up.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's sad to hear so many new Windows 8 users are confused and frustrated. That really says it all about the usability...

As above, use desktop mode. If you are struggling, download Classic Shell to make the experience more 'Windows 7' like.

As for the fan noise - don't forget it was a very hot day yesterday, and the cooling fans in PCs will struggle. Make sure you place the PC where there is nothing blocking the air flow from the sides or underneath.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft have a free downloadable manual for Metro mode in Windows 8, which they strangely call an End User Training Brochure:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39055

However, the real solution is to install one of the utilities such as Classic Shell which mend the user interface. As well as restoring the Start button and its menu most of them also have options to boot in desktop mode and disable the Charm icons, thereby effectively largely disabling Metro mode. Here's a list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Microsoft have a free downloadable manual for Metro mode in Windows 8, which they strangely call an End User Training Brochure:

Is that management speak for instruction manual? :D
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that management speak for instruction manual? :D
    Probably. It's about as crazy as most Microsoft decisions these days.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I found a good tutorial video on YouTube that helped a lot when I first got Windows 8 - http://youtu.be/5BSmmSU-UZU
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It's sad to hear so many new Windows 8 users are confused and frustrated. That really says it all about the usability...

As above, use desktop mode. If you are struggling, download Classic Shell to make the experience more 'Windows 7' like.

As for the fan noise - don't forget it was a very hot day yesterday, and the cooling fans in PCs will struggle. Make sure you place the PC where there is nothing blocking the air flow from the sides or underneath.

I think the appropriate word is "discoverability" rather than usability. i.e. it's difficult to discover what to do because there are rarely onscreen UI elements to you clues.

On Windows Phone, this aspect of Metro made some sense due to limited screen size but there were always clues from the options menu ellipse, having the next pane slightly poke into the current one, having the blank rail on the start screen etc.

In Windows 8 (which was done by a different team) the larger screen sizes meant they should have put more UI elements on-screen and had more clues (e.g. have the edge of the charm bar, app bar and switcher bar all very slightly poking into the screen and ready to be pulled into view).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

However, the real solution is to install one of the utilities such as Classic Shell which mend the user interface. As well as restoring the Start button and its menu most of them also have options to boot in desktop mode and disable the Charm icons, thereby effectively largely disabling Metro mode. Here's a list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8

Yeah. Totally agree this is the real fix
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thankyou for your replies I have never had windows 7 I was xp and vista all I had to do was just keep clicking on the internet button on desk top and loads of screens came up , I don't understand much about all the tech these days , when I go to the desktop on my hp g6 windows 8 I click on internet button and my home page caome up if I click on internet button again another page dosent come up on the screen at the bottom of the screen when you get the different squares of the different pages I click on them and it just changes the the same screen ive got up it dosent give me another screen to work with I just don't understand it, please I don't know if theres something wrong with the laptop or the windows 8, I don't understand about apps and bits like that , thankyou :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andrea37 wrote: »
    thankyou for your replies I have never had windows 7 I was xp and vista all I had to do was just keep clicking on the internet button on desk top and loads of screens came up , I don't understand much about all the tech these days , when I go to the desktop on my hp g6 windows 8 I click on internet button and my home page caome up if I click on internet button again another page dosent come up on the screen at the bottom of the screen when you get the different squares of the different pages I click on them and it just changes the the same screen ive got up it dosent give me another screen to work with I just don't understand it, please I don't know if theres something wrong with the laptop or the windows 8, I don't understand about apps and bits like that , thankyou :(

When on the screen with all the tiles (Start screen) click on the tile marked 'Desktop'. That takes you to the traditional Windows desktop with a taskbar at the bottom.

The taskbar works slightly differently to the XP or Vista taskbar as you can pin program launchers to it.
    By default there should be an Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
    Left click this icon and an Internet Explorer window will open.
    Now go back down to the IE icon and this time right click it and choose 'Internet Explorer' from the list. This will open up another Internet Explorer window.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    When on the screen with all the tiles (Start screen) click on the tile marked 'Desktop'. That takes you to the traditional Windows desktop with a taskbar at the bottom.

The taskbar works slightly differently to the XP or Vista taskbar as you can pin program launchers to it.
    By default there should be an Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
    Left click this icon and an Internet Explorer window will open.
    Now go back down to the IE icon and this time right click it and choose 'Internet Explorer' from the list. This will open up another Internet Explorer window.

thankyou at last I can do it but I really don't like this windows 8 it too tempremental
    every time you move the touchpad anywhere to the left the screen changes to another app comes up even when I play a game its maddening:mad: sorry to moan to you about it I should get used to it in the end, I hope once again thankyou
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thankyou at last I can do it but I really don't like this windows 8 it too tempremental
    every time you move the touchpad anywhere to the left the screen changes to another app comes up even when I play a game its maddening:mad: sorry to moan to you about it I should get used to it in the end, I hope once again thankyou

you need to go into your touchpad settings, and disable "edge swiping"

it will stop it from changing apps - and it will stop those "charm" bars appearing (on the right hand side) whenever they feel like it.

if you install "classic shell" as someone else suggested, your computer will be much more similar to how it was when you had XP - and MUCH easier to use / user friendly!
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member

Hi Andrea,
    Most of the advice you will get on here, won't really help you with Windows 8 as there is a large number who just advise to download third party apps to change the way it works back to being like Windows 7. There is nothing wrong with the advice, but, it won't help you understand the operating system you have.

A couple of tutorial sites that may help you to understand Windows 8 can be found by clicking here for a simple guide.
    Or, click here for some video help.
    You should then be in a position to really decide if you want to continue using it as it comes or to use 3rd party apps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Hi Andrea,
    Most of the advice you will get on here, won't really help you with Windows 8 as there is a large number who just advise to download third party apps to change the way it works back to being like Windows 7. There is nothing wrong with the advice, but, it won't help you understand the operating system you have.

A couple of tutorial sites that may help you to understand Windows 8 can be found by clicking here for a simple guide.
    Or, click here for some video help.
    You should then be in a position to really decide if you want to continue using it as it comes or to use 3rd party apps.

I'm a bit biased, but I don't see the issue with not understanding the metro side of windows 8, if you're more comfortable with just using the desktop.

I'm an IT student, and I can't get my head around Windows 8! I just use classic shell and keep it in desktop mode. (all the uni computers are windows 7 (or older) anyway)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit biased, but I don't see the issue with not understanding the metro side of windows 8, if you're more comfortable with just using the desktop.

I'm an IT student, and I can't get my head around Windows 8! I just use classic shell and keep it in desktop mode. (all the uni computers are windows 7 (or older) anyway)
    Whatever, suits you. However, I just believe that you should try and understand something before dismissing it out of hand. That doesn't mean that it's the best thing in the world (or the worst). 8.1 will change it and some of those who dislike it may change their minds (I know the usual suspects will be dismayed at the prospect ;):D)
    As I said, nothing wrong with 3rd party changes, everyone uses them in Windows 7 as well, but you might as well know what the alternatives are. Not liking and not understanding are two entirely different things.
    I believe desktop PC's users will eventually morph the two into a hybrid they use on a daily basis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Metro side would generally suit Andrea well, she would just need to learn a bit about how it works and learn about the concept of tabbed browsing too.

She may well find that the simplicity and lack of hassle (e.g. installing apps through the store rather than using install/uninstall wizards), increased safety through sandboxed apps etc give her fewer problems once the learning curve is overcome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I think the Metro side would generally suit Andrea well, she would just need to learn a bit about how it works and learn about the concept of tabbed browsing too.

She may well find that the simplicity and lack of hassle (e.g. installing apps through the store rather than using install/uninstall wizards), increased safety through sandboxed apps etc give her fewer problems once the learning curve is overcome.

Andrea specifically wanted to watch a video in one browser window while continuing to surf the net in another.
    You can't do that with tabs. Not without a lot of dotting about. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Andrea specifically wanted to watch a video in one browser window while continuing to surf the net in another.
    You can't do that with tabs. Not without a lot of dotting about. :D

You're right on that one.
    Still, I think this is a situation where some education might be beneficial rather than the stock 'classic shell' answer. Especially as OP hasn't even used windows 7 so the desktop would also be slightly alien.