Films where the 'supporting' actor steals the show from the main lead?

Comments

• Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christian Bale & Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
    Christian Bale & Anne Hathaway - The Dark Knight Rises
    Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise - Interview with the Vampire
    Jamie Foxx & Leonardo DiCaprio - Django Unchained (even though i think generally Leo is a hammy, overactor)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars was stolen for me by Jar Jar Binks :mad:
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,165
    Forum Member
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    Christian Bale & Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
    Christian Bale & Anne Hathaway - The Dark Knight Rises
    Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise - Interview with the Vampire
    Jamie Foxx & Leonardo DiCaprio - Django Unchained (even though i think generally Leo is a hammy, overactor)

No. The correct answer to that one is Kirsten Dunst.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,165
    Forum Member
    bugloss wrote: »
    Star Wars was stolen for me by Jar Jar Binks :mad:

And the other two prequels by Hayden Christensen and his pouty American soap teenager acting Anakin.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    It was very good but not great. Now overrated because he died.

Not that I dissagree, but that's a debate for another thread...and I ain't going near it!
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Jessica Chastain - The Help (i loathe Octavia's oscar win for a role she was pretty much playing herself, but with a maid's uniform,)

Laura Linney - The life of david gale

Melissa McCarthy - Bridesmaids

Barbara Hershey and Mila Kunis - Black Swan (I loathe Natalie portman's oscar win as well and both these ladies were more deserving but snubbed by the oscars)

Catherine Zeta-Jones - Chicago (Renee is on par with her)
    Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls

Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore - The Hours (much better than Nicole Kidman who won the oscar for best actress despite having the least screentime than any of the three women who starred in it)

Nicole Kidman - The Paperboy
    Natalie Portman - Closer

Angelina Jolie and Brittany Murphy - Girl Interrupted (despite only being in the film for about 10/15 minutes, Brittany gives the second best performance in the film)

Lesley Manville - Another Year
    Amy Adams - Junebug
    Christian Bale - The Fighter
    Anne Hathaway and Eddie Redmayne - Les Miserables
    Mo'Nique - Precious (on par with Gabourey Sidibe)
    Amanda Seyfried - Mean Girls and Jennifer's Body
    Rebel Wilson - Pitch Perfect
    Tom Cruise - Rock of ages
    Tim Curry - The Rocky horror picture show
    Jean Hagan - Singing in the rain
    Toni Collette - The Sixth Sense
    James Franco - Springbreakers
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    harking back to dr strangelove .... i agree with roger ebert that george c scott steals the show with his curtiss le may parody (general turgidson)
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    No. The correct answer to that one is Kirsten Dunst.

Oh, yes forgot about Kirsten Dunst, her and Tom Cruise for me knocked it out of the park in that movie especially in their scenes with one another.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the original Stepford Wives, Paula Prentiss (as the extrovert best friend) totally stole the show from Katharine Ross.

In Mary, Queen of Scots, Glenda Jackson's turn as Elizabeth I was a tour de force in comparison to the more natural (but boring, in terms of the larger than life style of a historical epic) Vanessa Redgrave.

Rex Harrison was far more interesting as Caesar than Elizabeth Taylor or Richard Burton as Cleopatra and Antony. The film died with Caesar.

I would say that Anthony Hopkins stole the show as Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, but Jodie Foster was so great in the role of Clarice that she actually held her own and they were neck-a-neck in terms of dominating the movie.

Marlon Brando pretty much made himself the most memorable character in the first Godfather movie.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    In the original Stepford Wives, Paula Prentiss (as the extrovert best friend) totally stole the show from Katharine Ross.

In Mary, Queen of Scots, Glenda Jackson's turn as Elizabeth I was a tour de force in comparison to the more natural (but boring, in terms of the larger than life style of a historical epic) Vanessa Redgrave.

Rex Harrison was far more interesting as Caesar than Elizabeth Taylor or Richard Burton as Cleopatra and Antony. The film died with Caesar.

I would say that Anthony Hopkins stole the show as Lecter in Silence of the Lambs, but Jodie Foster was so great in the role of Clarice that she actually held her own and they were neck-a-neck in terms of dominating the movie.

Marlon Brando pretty much made himself the most memorable character in the first Godfather movie.

Neither were supporting, and both won and were nominated in all the lead actor/actress categories. Although Hopkins's screentime runs at around 30 minutes, maybe a little less, he is still considered the lead as his character is the driving force behind the plot and Clarice's search for Buffalo Bill.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither were supporting, and both won and were nominated in all the lead actor/actress categories. Although Hopkins's screentime runs at around 30 minutes, maybe a little less, he is still considered the lead as his character is the driving force behind the plot and Clarice's search for Buffalo Bill.

His screen time only totalled 16 minutes.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Hudson - Dreamgirls (stole the show from Beyonce, big time)

Joe Pesci - Goodfellas
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Widmark in Kiss Of Death
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuba Gooding Jr - Jerry Maguire.
  • lundolundo Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    gene hackman in superman films
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samuel l jackson - pulp fiction
    mark wahlberg - the departed
    tommy lee jones - the fugitive
    christian bale - the fighter
    hugo weaving - the matrix
    gene hackman - the unforgiven
    christoph waltz - inglorious basterds
    JK simmons - spiderman
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuco in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Dame Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love - she won an Oscar despite apparently only being on screen for about 10minutes!
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Thor - Tim Hiddleston's Loki over Hemsworth's Thor.

Same for Avenger's Assemble for those two. Wonder if it is like that in Thor: the Dark World too? (Not seen it yet).
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Oldman in True Romance and Leon.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Thor - Tim Hiddleston's Loki over Hemsworth's Thor.

Same for Avenger's Assemble for those two. Wonder if it is like that in Thor: the Dark World too? (Not seen it yet).

Yup, same with The Dark World - Loki steals the show.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Oldman in True Romance and Leon.

He was great in True Romance, although personally I think Hopper and Walken stole it in their scene. Even though Hopper had most of the dialogue and delivered it perfectly, Walken's reactions were priceless, so they both deserve equal credit imo.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sean Connery in The Untouchables. Like Joe Pesci and Christopher Waltz for Goodfellas, Inglorious Basterds (films where the main lead did not win anything) won best supporting actor award.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Cary Grant, particularly in the Hitchcock roles but Nigel Bruce as Beaky was even more memorable in Suspicion. A little typecast but played the role brilliantly.