Options

So forgetful at 37 should I worry or just a bad memory?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really must see a doctor and explain to him/her all you have said to us. Do you think that at any point you could have had a mini stroke?

I doubt it though strokes and high blood pressure do feature on both parents sides, so It's probably something to watch out for later. I assume some sort of mini stroke would be permanently noticeable? I won't lie and say there aren't times when my speech can slur slightly but that's usually when I'm very tired or under stress / pressure and there has been rare occasions where a slight bit of drool (for want of a better word) has escaped my mouth while tired or stressed, on one side I think but never really put much thought in to it.

A friend who used to sleep in my bed on the odd night (nothing sexual - just better and warmer than the sofa) used to comment about it, though I just ignored her or laugh it off as we'd usually been out drinking the night before.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please do see your doctor about this. I don't know that much about strokes but I do know that if you have had one that you should be on medication to try to stop a further one that may be much more serious.

It sounds as if you should be referred to a neurologist to me.
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am female and 42 and worry about my memory also. People tell me things and next second I can't remember what they have said. I am not pre-menopausal.

I think maybe I've killed off brain cells my overdoing on wine for years, do you drink OP?

I also think anxiety has a massive part to play in my case, had treatment but still there.

I did find that eating sardines for breakfast helped me concentrate at work and made me feel sharper.

In my opinion, GP will just do blood tests and when and if they come back fine they will tell you what any magazine well tell you, sleep right, eat right and exercise right.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, this happened to me in my late 30s. I was worried about early onset Alzheimers, because i was even forgetting the names of simple things or people id known for years. Turns out it was stress. I'm a very stressy person and have learned to live with it.

Edit: although a better answer would have been, 'I went to my GP but cant remember what he said!' :D
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    by the way , you still owe me a 5ver
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    I am female and 42 and worry about my memory also. People tell me things and next second I can't remember what they have said. I am not pre-menopausal.

I think maybe I've killed off brain cells my overdoing on wine for years, do you drink OP?

I also think anxiety has a massive part to play in my case, had treatment but still there.

I did find that eating sardines for breakfast helped me concentrate at work and made me feel sharper.

In my opinion, GP will just do blood tests and when and if they come back fine they will tell you what any magazine well tell you, sleep right, eat right and exercise right.

Yes I do drink and tbh far too much, though I don't let it effect work or close to times when I will be driving. Maybe the drink isn't helping I think you may be right with anxiety too, though I've not been to the doctors it's something that's always sat there in the background.

I keep trying to do a bit of exercise which usually means walking around the block on alternate nights, it would be about 15 minutes and half a mile. Not much I know bet better than nothing. Now I live in a house (with a shed) rather than a small flat in the town centre I keep meaning to get by bike back from my parents house and start riding around the village and in to town (about half to 5 miles) Especially as the days are starting to get longer.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll echo others who have said get your Vitamin B12 levels checked ASAP. My sister was 32 when she started having problems with short term memory. She mentioned it a couple of times to her GP during routine medical reviews, but was never taken seriously. It wasn't until a year later when her general health declined and her GP gave her a full check-up, that her B12 level was found to be borderline. A haematologist ordered a booster of B12 injections. Unfortunately, her short term memory didn't improve and is still an issue to this day (she's now 36), probably because of the year's delay. So not only make sure you see your GP ASAP, but make sure you emphasise how much of a problem the memory issue is to you so that you are taken seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll echo others who have said get your Vitamin B12 levels checked ASAP. My sister was 32 when she started having problems with short term memory. She mentioned it a couple of times to her GP during routine medical reviews, but was never taken seriously. It wasn't until a year later when her general health declined and her GP gave her a full check-up, that her B12 level was found to be borderline. A haematologist ordered a booster of B12 injections. Unfortunately, her short term memory didn't improve and is still an issue to this day (she's now 36), probably because of the year's delay. So not only make sure you see your GP ASAP, but make sure you emphasise how much of a problem the memory issue is to you so that you are taken seriously.

Thank you. To be honest I've been a little distracted this last week (as though that's hard!) starting a new job on Monday 2/3. I know I need to man up and admit defeat and see the doctor. In my new job I've introduced myself and know some but not all people. As people have told me their names I've made a joke of 'cool you're Dave, I will forget that soon but it's nothing personal'