Options

In 10 words or less, what one change would you make to Doctor Who?

Comments

• Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ditch the new series and rerun the originals on BBC.
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote:

I think the OP asked for suggestions which were 'possible'. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote:
    Why do so many FMs demand the cancelling of shows that they do not personally enjoy?
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Well this is more than 10 words, but here I go:

I think they need to make the show darker and more real. At the moment, it is nothing more than a children's TV show.

If the doctor gets into a situation, I want to actually wonder whether he will get out. Not how long will it take him to get out.

Also stop what I call the voyager factor (making up something at the last moment to get out of a tight spot).

But of course they will never do that because the show is aimed at family viewers.

It would then have to be on later than 7pm which would lead to lower ratings and cancellation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote:

I am a fan of the classic series as well as the new. As much as I think the quality of some of the scripts from the classic series are far better than some from the new, the productions standards in terms of effects etc would not sustain the interest from younger viewers who expect more.

The new series has many faults as did the classic version..lessons could be drawn from the old to make the newer one much better and stronger in terms of story telling.
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC Liver wrote:
    "One four part, three three part episodes."

That's my ten words - now allow me an explanation. This would solve a lot of core frustrations surrounding the series - the budget could be better utilised, as costumes and sets would be used more. This would potentially allow stories set in a wider variety of environments. It would also give the stories more room to breathe, and also mean we get nine cliffhangers in a year, rather than three.
    While I agree with the spirit of your suggestion, I think the numbers need to be tweaked a little.

These are 45 minute shows, so a fast moving 'feature-length' story should fit comfortably into 2 episodes. More than that and you risk dragging the story out and losing the interest of some less attentive viewers.

It's also true that the single episode story, when done right, works superbly. Father's Day, Dalek and Girl in the Fireplace are obvious examples. There's no point extending a story that fits perfectly into 45 minutes just to add a cliffhanger! Alternatively a cliffhanger can be tacked onto the end of a completed story - See the Series 2 finale for an example (for better or worse!).

So I would maybe suggest five two-part and three one-part stories, with an exception for the Paul McGann Time War special which would be a three-parter, whenever it happens. :)

edit : Here's to the next 1000 posts! :D
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    ..lessons could be drawn from the old to make the newer one much better and stronger in terms of story telling.

Would you mind expanding on that point? What "lessons" do you have in mind? Criticisms of the old series are often caricatured as mere intolerance of cheap effects and production values, and while those criticisms are valid, I hold a low opinion of the old Doctor Who series PRIMARILY because of the "story telling." The old series was particularly handicapped by its multi-episode serial structure, as again and again plots that may have been done well in 45 or 50 minutes were ridiculously drawn out to fill twice that amount of air time, or longer yet. Things like the infamous "running down endless corridors" were done simply to eat up more time cheaply, but those scenes were not the only way time was eaten up for the sake of it. Another thing that has to be said about the stories is that they leaned too heavily on the 1950's-movie-"scary monsters" style of science fiction, which became more and more out-dated the longer the series ran.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey S wrote:
    Only if the assistant can be muscular and boyish and scantily-clad.

Is that a boy or girl assistant then? :);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote:
    Would you mind expanding on that point? What "lessons" do you have in mind? Criticisms of the old series are often caricatured as mere intolerance of cheap effects and productions values, and while those criticisms are valid, I hold a low opinion of the old Doctor Who series PRIMARILY because of the "story telling." The old series was particularly handicapped by its multi-episode serial structure, as again and again plots that may have been done well in 45 or 50 minutes were ridiculously drawn out to fill twice that amount of air time, or longer yet. Things like the infamous "running down endless corridors" were done simply to eat up more time cheaply, but those scenes were not the only way time was eaten up for the sake of it. Another thing that has to be said about the stories is that they leaned too heavily on the 1950's-movie-"scary monsters" style of science fiction, which became more and more out-dated the longer the series ran.

that is why in my post I pointed out that the classic series had many faults too. sure some of the stories were padded and relied a lot on endless shots on running down corridors but equally the standard of other scripts..Talons, Pyramids, Genesis etc...far outshines some of the scripts from the new series. Just my opinion. Sure the effects and production standards from the old would simply not wash with a modern audience and I have always applauded them for that but considering the budget Who back then they did what they could at the time..which sometimes they pulled off and other times they didn't.
  • Options
    MasqueradeMasquerade Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring back Tom Baker and k-9!
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mickey S wrote:
    Why do so many FMs demand the cancelling of shows that they do not personally enjoy?

Didn't say I didn't enjoy the new Dr stories but I much prefer the old ones as the new series has too much PC stuff goingf on and trying to be trendy/shocking with gay kisses, and too many stories are set in modern London/Cardiff wheras imo the best stories have been where they're off planet or back in time - the devil planet ones, unquiet dead, gas mask people and werewolf stories spring to mind.
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote:
    Didn't say I didn't enjoy the new Dr stories but I much prefer the old ones as the new series has too much PC stuff goingf on and trying to be trendy/shocking with gay kisses, and too many stories are set in modern London/Cardiff wheras imo the best stories have been where they're off planet or back in time - the devil planet ones, unquiet dead, gas mask people and werewolf stories spring to mind.

Two..... TWO episodes have been set in Cardiff. One has been set in Scotland, One has been set in America (soon to be two) and the rest were London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masquerade wrote:
    Bring back Tom Baker and k-9!

K9 was brought back in School Reunion!
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two..... TWO episodes have been set in Cardiff. One has been set in Scotland, One has been set in America (soon to be two) and the rest were London.
    and... there haven't been ANY gay kisses. Captain Jack gave both Rose and The Doctor a goodbye kiss - he was a friend expecting to die imminently.
  • Options
    Mickey BlueMickey Blue Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you most like to do to Doctor Who? (Keep it clean). Anything goes, subject to the following:

1. Demoting RTD, sacking RTD, or terminating RTD with extreme prejudice won't make for an interesting thread. If your single change is one of these, then imagine RTD has already gone and THEN choose your one thing.

2. Be creative and constructive, brief, and think wishfully. "Write better scripts" is not what we're looking for. "Film the Time War", "Never use the Daleks again" or "Bring back Jon Pertwee" are just right. Have fun!

brining in more likeable assistant, not some waste of space who credits crossroads as the highlight of her acting career so far :mad: also making steven moffat the main man to do the scripts as he seems to have the knack to produce the best episodes , for example the girl in the fireplace best i have ever saw.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    brining in more likeable assistant, not some waste of space

Not a little rash, perhaps? Can you put your finger on what exactly you haven't liked about Martha, in all the episodes she's been in so far? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    brining in more likeable assistant, not some waste of space who credits crossroads as the highlight of her acting career so far :mad: also making steven moffat the main man to do the scripts as he seems to have the knack to produce the best episodes , for example the girl in the fireplace best i have ever saw.
    Well there was much discussion at our place today over this - caused by someone in "Life On Mars" being rather outspoken, and we all pretty much agreed with him!

It's on MSN News; apologies if there's already a discussion on it elsewhere (and if there isn't, I'll be surprised)... the guy's name is Philip Glenister, and sounds like he has a severe dislike of crap soaps, lambasting "Eastenders" and the state of British TV, suggesting... "Eastenders is up its own arse", and the "fools" running TV (presumably the BBC in this case) "put fame ahead of talent and think someone from EastEnders will put bums on seats".

As DW is probably the biggest employer of ex-Eastenders "talent", PG's comments are probably worth a mention. ;)
  • Options
    mesonychidmesonychid Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

why in 10 words or less ? what happens if i ......
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member

What is with people in this country and their prejudice against people who have been in soap opera’s?

Many of the major American actors / actresses, in the past 20 years, started in a soap opera’s and those that didn’t started in a sitcom. So the fact that she Freema came to notice in crossroads means nothing especially when most of television is dominated by soaps or continuing dramas.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mesonychid wrote:

why in 10 words or less ? what happens if i ......

Yes I don't get the point of why answers are required to be less than 10 words.
    What's the point of that?

Is it a game?
    Or is the content of the opinions more important?

It's a bit limiting to restrict your points of view down to 10 words, I don't really get the point of needing to do that.
  • Options
    Tegan JovankaTegan Jovanka Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote:
    What is with people in this country and their prejudice against people who have been in soap opera’s?

Many of the major American actors / actresses, in the past 20 years, started in a soap opera’s and those that didn’t started in a sitcom. So the fact that she Freema came to notice in crossroads means nothing especially when most of television is dominated by soaps or continuing dramas.

Most people in soap operas cannot act. Although some great stars of stage and screen have either started in a soap or appeared in a soap later in life. It it a little unfair to judge the character of Martha yet. She has not been seen in anything yet and the actress was only seen in the series for about 30 seconds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Yes I don't get the point of why answers are required to be less than 10 words.
    What's the point of that?

Is it a game?
    Or is the content of the opinions more important?

It's a bit limiting to restrict your points of view down to 10 words, I don't really get the point of needing to do that.

Well, you don't HAVE to stick to the ten words. I was just trying to encourage people to be concise and to encourage more people to contribute. Otherwise things get a bit rambly, and a rambly thread is not an accessible thread. It seems to have gone all right so far, anyway... Any thoughts on Doctor Who?

By the way, I'd like to apologise humbly to everybody for starting the thread as ten words or less, when of course it should have been ten words or fewer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    1. Bring back The Rani
    2. Better storylines maybe in the Doctor Who lite episode
    3. Not making the Doctor fall for someone else he meets while going back in time
    4. Reveal that he might not b an only time lord :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A year break between series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    have 22 episodes instaed of 13 a season. and get bill and ted to be companions