Options

First Look At The Dalek Hydroid!!

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
this is on the front cover of the radio times but if u cnt wait til thn have a look now!!!

http://www.gallifreyone.com/picview.php?ret=news&sub=news&id=RT-2007-04.jpg

:D

nd am lovin it its really scary!!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    omg thats well freaky lol - their using the part of the dalek inside the armour then? i thought they would have stuck a human in the armour lol!!!
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think that they have desidned this very well i just thought they would have a normal human being dalek sec but this is really scary nd just lookin at it makes me wanna b sick :(:D:D
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt he's going to wear a mask a la Slitheen or Darth Vader.
  • Options
    docmandocman Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    No doubt he's going to wear a mask a la Slitheen or Darth Vader.

Nope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caz06 wrote:
    this is on the front cover of the radio times but if u cnt wait til thn have a look now!!!

http://www.gallifreyone.com/picview.php?ret=news&sub=news&id=RT-2007-04.jpg

nd am lovin it its really scary!!!

Blee, that's just nasty and it's put me right off my rather delicious melted mozzarella, parma ham and basil toasty snack that I WAS enjoying whilst typing away ...yuk! :D

For me it was never the daleks or cybermen etc that made me hide behind the sofa as a child, it was always the flesh crawling aliens blee gain!

At least I'm forewarned for Saturday.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like they're doing that as a mixture of prosthetics/animatronics. Hope it works as well as the Face of Boe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    docman wrote:
    Nope.

What, so...are you telling me he's gonna go around wearing a suit in New York with a face like THAT?! Asking for attention, that is!
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this cover related to Any Dream Will Do?
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think the Daleks have been used too much, yet strangely under-valued too?

What I mean is, they've relied on them for a big story. But the use of them has been a bit disappointing. Apart from the first story, Dalek, which was great, I've been a bit underwhelmed. At the end of the first series they were on-screen for a short period, then all destroyed with a wave of Rose's hand. Bit of an anti-climax.

In the second series they returned for one episode, which had some fantastic moments, but there was no real fear due to being almost second fiddle to the Cybermen. Not quite the scariest and most dangerous race in the universe.

Even as a grown man, they freak me out. But there's been a lack of genuine fear - I doubt kids watching these episodes are going to have life-long dalekphobia like I have! The only episode where I gripped a cushion and sat on the edge of my seat was Dalek. Mostly because of the incredible soundtrack and Chris Eccleston's fantastic performance - the Doctor was genuinely afraid which translated well to the audience. The dalek also kicked some serious ass before going all hug-a-dalek-they're-so-misunderstood.

I'm really hoping for something exciting and tense and genuinely dangerous in this new story...
  • Options
    nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote:
    Does anyone else think the Daleks have been used too much, yet strangely under-valued too?

What I mean is, they've relied on them for a big story. But the use of them has been a bit disappointing. Apart from the first story, Dalek, which was great, I've been a bit underwhelmed. At the end of the first series they were on-screen for a short period, then all destroyed with a wave of Rose's hand. Bit of an anti-climax.

In the second series they returned for one episode, which had some fantastic moments, but there was no real fear due to being almost second fiddle to the Cybermen. Not quite the scariest and most dangerous race in the universe.

Even as a grown man, they freak me out. But there's been a lack of genuine fear - I doubt kids watching these episodes are going to have life-long dalekphobia like I have! The only episode where I gripped a cushion and sat on the edge of my seat was Dalek. Mostly because of the incredible soundtrack and Chris Eccleston's fantastic performance - the Doctor was genuinely afraid which translated well to the audience. The dalek also kicked some serious ass before going all hug-a-dalek-they're-so-misunderstood.

I'm really hoping for something exciting and tense and genuinely dangerous in this new story...

I find it hard to see the attraction of creating Human/Dalek hybrids. What does Dalek Sec hope to gain from this? He look a lot more vulnerable in this form than he did as a more standard Dalek...

I'm also a little worried that the Daleks now pretty much look like yet another alien race: humanoid, with a rubber mask...is that unfair of me? I'm sure (well, very hopeful) that the story will change my mind: certainly, it's an interesting idea.

Brown paper packages tied up with strings, these are a few of my favourite nyings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want everyone, characters, the doctor and most importantly the viewers to be scared sh**less by them.

Perhaps they should rest them completely in series four? Too familiar and you lose the excitement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor wasn't scared of them enough in last year's finale. But going by the trailer of this one, he sounds pretty p***ed off about them coming back.

"They always survive, when I lose everything !"
  • Options
    Prime MinisterPrime Minister Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    :eek: Thats one scary mary!
  • Options
    simsysimsy Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scary :(
    Thats not the doctors suit is it?
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like he's stuck his head in a squid
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Seems odd that Sec did this but meh will find out why i guess :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gavinsims wrote:
    Scary :(
    Thats not the doctors suit is it?
    i already thought that, but The Doctor wears his blue suit in this, Dalek Sec has a black suit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor wasn't scared of them enough in last year's finale. But going by the trailer of this one, he sounds pretty p***ed off about them coming back.

"They always survive, when I lose everything !"

Exactly. Their first apperance in the new series was perfect in Dalek.
    The look of absolute horror on his face when those lights started flashing in the dark. Brilliant, just brilliant.
    DONT even get me started on the end of the first season.
    A fleet of millions wiped out with the wave of a she-chav's hand. Awful.
    Then we get the end of the second series, which I thought was promising (infantile banter between them and the cybermen aside), until they all came out of the ark. That was sh*t. At that point when there are MILLIONS of them and only 15 minutes to go there is nothing left but a deus ex machina ending. "Quick doctor pull the lever on the Plot Device (tm) and make all the bad things go away".
    Awful, and made NO SENSE.

Hopefully this will be a return to genuinely frightening form. Although i agree that its hard to see the point of him doing this to himself. Guess we will see on Saturday. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Anyone else think that with the black suit, the noteable chin and the eye slap bang in the middle of his forehead that he look a bit too much like Dav......

...nah, forget it.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its a bit away from Davros, although....one eye, human body. no it cant be Davros. if it is, he has been redesigned quite a bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally quite like the infantile banter between the cybermen and daleks! I like the black sense of humour the daleks were given, too.

But perhaps you've hit the nail on the head: a handful of psychotic daleks trundling round and kicking ass are scary. It's like the Terminator - one mortal enemy hell bent on your personal destruction.

Millions of them flying all over the place isn't: not only could a million daleks wipe out London with a single blast from each of their ray guns (yet don't), but we also know there's so many that it's unbelievable and the doctor will have to make them go away rather than destroy them as an equal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it looks gruesomely good for a monster
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote:
    Millions of them flying all over the place isn't: not only could a million daleks wipe out London with a single blast from each of their ray guns (yet don't), but we also know there's so many that it's unbelievable and the doctor will have to make them go away rather than destroy them as an equal.

Thats exactly what i meant. Exactly.
    One of the best bits from Dalek (a favourite of mine in case you hadnt worked it out :D )
    Was the bit where he's talking to the crazy billionaire. Something like.

Whats the nearest town?
    Salt lake city
    Population?
    1 million
    All dead

Just the absolute certainty of how he said "all dead" conveyed perfectly that this was a THREAT. It was brilliantly written and excellently delivered.
    If only they had kept that level of menace intact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin_F wrote:
    Thats exactly what i meant. Exactly.
    One of the best bits from Dalek (a favourite of mine in case you hadnt worked it out :D )
    Was the bit where he's talking to the crazy billionaire. Something like.

Whats the nearest town?
    Salt lake city
    Population?
    1 million
    All dead

Just the absolute certainty of how he said "all dead" conveyed perfectly that this was a THREAT. It was brilliantly written and excellently delivered.
    If only they had kept that level of menace intact.

That's it entirely. Chris Eccleston's performance was just perfect in that episode.

One single Dalek, unstoppable, lethal, single-minded, no reasoning with it. The only thing in the universe that can freak out the Doctor himself.
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's a Dalek without the armour? With the armour they have shielding, weapons and are pretty much unstopable... Without and they look to be completely open to any sort of attack - guns, knives, baseball bats (been done, I know!), chemicals...

It will be interesting to see how the menace is portrayed now!