Options

Another week of BGT taking the viewers for fools.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a BGT fan however this year there is something missing some acts who are rubbish and wouldn't get through in previous years are being put through its annoying me.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Well those that want to agree with my opinion and feel the same way please make your feelings known! Thanks! :D

Looking at this forum I suspect people are making their feelings known. Look how quiet the forum is nowadays. People can't even be bothered to talk about it anymore. :o
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    hmm, im not so sure, this year they seem to have gone above and beyond and not even bothered covering up the editing or scripting and just patronizing the viewer into a coma.
    yes it is still light entertainment, and still enjoyable to an extent. but its old hat now.

i remember the days when simon said he would end his shows whilst 'still on top'...
    hes set to go out with a whimper at this rate.

But why the need to "cover up" the editing ?. It's patently obvious that a show like this, with the way it's filmed, needs editing so why a need to "cover up" ??.

And, as has been said many times already, where some see "scripting", others see "running order". This idea that all the judges have scripts in front of them telling them exactly what to say is just beyond silly.

At most they'll have a standard set of "interview" questions for when the acts come out and most likely a running order of each act with a small bio for each one.
    MandyXZ wrote: »
    Not according to the ratings.

The ratings is all that matters to them.

Exactly. The ratings are still going strong so they're not going to change anything because a tiny handful of people on a forum think the show is "dying".
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Exactly. The ratings are still going strong so they're not going to change anything because a tiny handful of people on a forum think the show is "dying".

And yet you feel the need to continually challenge this tiny handful because their opinion differs from yours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    And yet you feel the need to continually challenge this tiny handful because their opinion differs from yours?

Ah yes, the DS classic .. "..because <fill in thing here> opinion differs from yours .." :)

I challenge this tiny handful usually because of the sheer absurdity of their claims.

Think of it as a reflection of their approach to BGT though. They clearly dislike the show and Simon Cowell but can't help themselves but to watch and criticise and claim the show is "dying".

Likewise, I clearly dislike their absurd comments but can't help myself but to respond and criticise and claim they're all bonkers.

See ?. We're the same!. We should hug :D
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    Hahaha totally agree its so lame Im embarrassed for people who like it

I watched only as husband likes it

It was 7:54 and I said I bet simon Golden Buzzers for thos 2 young boys and 2 mins later he did, also we all know simon was 3rd to press his buzzer. It was actually Alesha who was the last to hot the golden buzzer

This show gets lamer and lamer
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess there's a considerable number of viewers who watch it, assume that most of it is pre-approved/edited/manipulative but still enjoy it for what it is.. a bit of entertainment. It's like watching Celebrity Juice, I know it's mindless viewing, but it's okay to turn your brain off now and then. I would never spend a penny to vote for anyone on these shows when it comes down to that stage (that's just a massive money-making scheme, nothing more), but people don't have to buy into the premise completely to find it entertaining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess there's a considerable number of viewers who watch it, assume that most of it is pre-approved/edited/manipulative but still enjoy it for what it is.. a bit of entertainment. It's like watching Celebrity Juice, I know it's mindless viewing, but it's okay to turn your brain off now and then. I would never spend a penny to vote for anyone on these shows when it comes down to that stage (that's just a massive money-making scheme, nothing more), but people don't have to buy into the premise completely to find it entertaining.

Couldn't have put it better myself Mrs P :)

But, for whatever reason, people seem to go out of their way to moan "OMG! I'm being manipulated and lied to!!!!!!" when I'm sure there are better things to do and watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But why the need to "cover up" the editing ?. It's patently obvious that a show like this, with the way it's filmed, needs editing so why a need to "cover up" ??.

And, as has been said many times already, where some see "scripting", others see "running order". This idea that all the judges have scripts in front of them telling them exactly what to say is just beyond silly.

At most they'll have a standard set of "interview" questions for when the acts come out and most likely a running order of each act with a small bio for each one

I've tried to explain this to the conspiracy theorists but they don't understand the difference between editing and scripting.
    Couldn't have put it better myself Mrs P :)

But, for whatever reason, people seem to go out of their way to moan "OMG! I'm being manipulated and lied to!!!!!!" when I'm sure there are better things to do and watch.

I honestly think they do it because they believe they're smarter than everyone who accepts and enjoys the show for what it is. It's like they think they're superior for figuring out a non-existent conspiracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly think they do it because they believe they're smarter than everyone who accepts and enjoys the show for what it is. It's like they think they're superior for figuring out a non-existent conspiracy.

Nail. On. Head.
  • Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    The last 2 weeks have been utter tripe.

Unless they can dig up a few good acts next week then I can hardly bring myself to watching the Lives.

That's where I am at unless there's atleast a couple of good acts in the next week I'll probable not watch the lives
  • Options
    Lee_BromleyLee_Bromley Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    BGT and The X Factor have run their course. As with the shows they're based on, New Faces and Opportunity Knocks, they mine the country of its cabaret acts, hype them up in the media and churn them out on Saturday nights as filler between the commercials and announcements of phone lines for you to call.

It gets to the point where the bottom of the barrel can no longer be scraped, they're through to the dirt underneath it.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    This show just does not cease in its attempts to make up believe that the acts are genuine and that every single outcome isn't preplanned.

It's nice to see people cottoning on after X number of manufactured, edited years. It's been a big rip off since day one, along with X Factor.
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member

At most they'll have a standard set of "interview" questions for when the acts come out and most likely a running order of each act with a small bio for each one.

Totally agree with you Jason, personally it's not so much how blatantly scripted it is but it's Cowell's insistence (like he does with XF) that "everything you see is true" without any production interference. Even the likes of TOWIE (not my thing) show a disclaimer that some parts are orchestrated for entertainment purposes.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a BGT fan however this year there is something missing some acts who are rubbish and wouldn't get through in previous years are being put through its annoying me.

It's all part of this fake 'Ooh lets annoy Simon and put this carp act through' nonsense..
    Imo this is unfair to the performers. OK they are perhaps delusional and rubbish but they were already selected and would have thought it was because they were good, then they get put through - even worse.
    Also, it seems to me that a higher percentage of the acts are joke acts. Is this country really that short of talent? Heck, since we seem to be accepting performers from anywhere, is the world that short of talent?
  • Options
    Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Fakeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    It's all part of this fake 'Ooh lets annoy Simon and put this carp act through' nonsense..
    Imo this is unfair to the performers. OK they are perhaps delusional and rubbish but they were already selected and would have thought it was because they were good, then they get put through - even worse.
    Also, it seems to me that a higher percentage of the acts are joke acts. Is this country really that short of talent? Heck, since we seem to be accepting performers from anywhere, is the world that short of talent?

I don't think there is a shortage of talent.
    I think that the talent is working quietly away in venues in this country and all over the world and on cruise ships etc.
    Performers who wouldn't go on these Simon Cowell shows because they know how sneery he can be about 'lounge acts' and 'cruise ship entertainers.'

People like this make a very good living out of their talent and would not want to be dragged trough the Simon Cowell mill.
    They know that they will just have the mickey taken out of them or be under Press scrutiny - and they might actually lose work rather than get more work out of doing such shows. So the Talent stays away.

I always have a giggle when Simon 'insults' someone by saying they are only a lounge act.

I think that maybe Frank Sinatra could be described as a lounge act, too - and look what a global megastar he was!

I have usually enjoyed BGT but I do think that the acts so far this year have been rather dismal.

Even the 'joke' acts haven't been very funny. And the lovable eccentrics who are lost in their own world have been a bit thin on the ground, too.

And none have made me think they are an obvious winner.

I liked the violin playing girl - even though we've seen it all before.
    I thought the three French dancing guys dancing in heels were good.
    I thought the guy in the red suit last night doing comedy to a backing track he'd edited etc was quite funny.

But none have been THAT impressive, really.

Too many sob stories, too.

As someone else said, there's been nothing really to make me want to watch the Live shows.

Shame really.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess there's a considerable number of viewers who watch it, assume that most of it is pre-approved/edited/manipulative but still enjoy it for what it is.. a bit of entertainment.

I would never spend a penny to vote for anyone on these shows when it comes down to that stage (that's just a massive money-making scheme, nothing more), but people don't have to buy into the premise completely to find it entertaining.

I agree; I feel the same about it.

I actually think part of the problem with Cowell's other show XF is that whilst it's just as edited and 'scripted', it is nowhere near as fun as BGT is and takes itself way too seriously, which is why it gets so much criticism and the ratings are down.
  • Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    I agree; I feel the same about it.

I actually think part of the problem with Cowell's other show XF is that whilst it's just as edited and 'scripted', it is nowhere near as fun as BGT is and takes itself way too seriously, which is why it gets so much criticism and the ratings are down.

I agree with you both but the problem with this year's BGT is the Acts who have been on.

They haven't been very entertaining.

So even though I know it's edited and scripted and has invited acts on, I can usually enjoy it as a bit of fun, but when the Acts AREN'T fun, I can't enjoy it like I used to.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC4 does not take its viewers for fools.
  • Options
    MasterjonboiMasterjonboi Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you dont like it dont watch it. No one forces you to sit and watch it.