Options

Eurovision 2015 - The UK entry...

Comments

• Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Karen Harding? She's currently #6 on iTunes with her new song - Say Something - and she auditioned for Eurovision in 2010 on Your Country Needs You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaylIv1_pyE

I really wanted to like her as I did on The X Factor, but to me it just sounds like constant auto tune. I've only heard the iTunes preview though, full version may be better. I don't think she will though due to her connections to The X Factor, plus she seems to becoming popular all on her own.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think sending Molly again would be a good idea...give her a chance to make up for her nerves last year.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit of a wild one but what about Sarah Dawn Finer, I'm sure she said she would sing for us if she was asked
  • Options
    PatheticFallacyPatheticFallacy Posts: 7,761
    Forum Member
    Might as well throw out Mutya Keisha Siobhan's name(s) again for no reason other than I want them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might as well throw out Mutya Keisha Siobhan's name(s) again for no reason other than I want them.

I totally agree. They were great as the original lineup, their time has passed though sadly. I also loved Mutya's solo album - can't understand why she only made one. I still think it's a complete unknown though, this is just for fun. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    @popmusicman I agree. Look at the Netherlands. I never thought they would get second.

i agree with this. After listening to the song once imy opinion was that it was OK, but a country song would never do well in Eurovision. Quite a risk they took and OK they didn't win but it proves that risks can be worth taking.

I've always said the Uk don't seem to look at it the same as every other country does. Most countries send their best artists, we send either an unknown artist or someone who's a has been.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura_T wrote: »
    i agree with this. After listening to the song once imy opinion was that it was OK, but a country song would never do well in Eurovision. Quite a risk they took and OK they didn't win but it proves that risks can be worth taking.

I've always said the Uk don't seem to look at it the same as every other country does. Most countries send their best artists, we send either an unknown artist or someone who's a has been.

The staging is key, or at least was definitely most key for Netherlands last year.
    I think UK often overlook the importance of good staging and how effective it can be in selling the performance. Molly's staging was beyond dull and boring last year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

Contrary to popular belief, most countries do not send their best/biggest artists. :)
  • Options
    Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In regards to the Netherlands - it was a different approach, it was a bit of a risk and yet, it paid off. Granted they did not win but coming second was their best result since 1975.

In regards to who we decide to send - an unknown can do better than a well known act. Bonnie Tyler is well known and she didn't do at all well.

The song is but one third of a winning act in my opinion. A winner is someone who can sing live, has a good stage performance and has a very good (and sometimes different) song.

Loreen had all three. She was unknown in the UK and yet she got to number 3 in our singles charts.

Emmelie had all three. She was unknown in the UK and yet she got to number 15 in our singles charts.

My point is that an unknown can and have won this competition. Even if they do not win they can at least come top 5. Jade was an unknown and came 5th.

Now BBC I speak to you. Whoever you have representing us promote them. Jade went to Malta, Greece, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Russia, Ukraine... In the week before the Contest, Jade provided a free copy of her entry, It's My Time, to Russia's OK! magazine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Eurovision's Facebook/Twitter are active once again. Please say an announcement is imminent....
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't buy the "we should send a big name otherwise we're not taking it seriously enough" argument at all. Every single winner since 2009 has been either a total unknown or a talent show reject. And as far as big names go, for every Common Linnets or Dima Bilan you have a Cascada or a No Angels so it really shows that the song itself is all that matters.
  • Options
    Steven_PSteven_P Posts: 12,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me the name is the least important thing. We need a strong original song performed amazingly. In theory an experienced artist will have the confidence and stage presence... but the reality is it is hit and miss of paying that off.

for me the song should come first then auditioned out to who can preform it to a very high standard. Different artists have different strengths so a well known may not fit the song in the way an unknown could. You then give that person the experience by ppromoting the song both with and outside ok the uk. Promotional gigs don't guarantee points, but it alows the artist to work with the song in as close to eurovision conditions as possible.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be fun if they could shoehorn the UK entry into the 60th Anniversary concert. Go on BBC I dare you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be fun if they could shoehorn the UK entry into the 60th Anniversary concert. Go on BBC I dare you!

I wouldn't be surprised. It is actually a good time to do it seeing as this is airing in Australia (SBS), Austria (ORF), Belgium (VRT & RTBF), Bulgaria (BNT), Denmark (DR), Finland (YLE), France (France 2), Greece (NERIT), Iceland (RÚV), Ireland (RTÉ), Israel (IBA), Norway (NRK), Portugal (RTP), Romania (TVR), Russia (C1R), San Marino (SMRTV), Slovenia (RTVSLO), Sweden (SVT), Switzerland (SRF), Spain and likely more.

The countries highlighted are taking part so (assuming it is a good song/singer) it will be a good chance for us to let them hear it before the final. The problem with going straight to the final is it does not allow the other countries to hear it before that night (unless they are hardcore fans and listen online).

The BBC should also do a tour - like they did with Jade.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now BBC I speak to you. Whoever you have representing us promote them. Jade went to Malta, Greece, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Russia, Ukraine... In the week before the Contest, Jade provided a free copy of her entry, It's My Time, to Russia's OK! magazine.

I think the general consensus is that promotion gets you next to no extra points. You just don't reach enough people with a random TV appearance or club PA. Acts often win that did not a single overseas promo visit while some acts that trek round Europe don't even reach the final. All that matters is having a great song and being able to perform it well live. That's all the BBC need to hear (and understand!)
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the general consensus is that promotion gets you next to no extra points. You just don't reach enough people with a random TV appearance or club PA. Acts often win that did not a single overseas promo visit while some acts that trek round Europe don't even reach the final. All that matters is having a great song and being able to perform it well live. That's all the BBC need to hear (and understand!)

I think performing at another national selection makes sense though because you're performing to the same audience that is likely to watch the ESC itself. The 5 jury members are also likely to see it so if you impress you're already on their radar months before the show.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I think performing at another national selection makes sense though because you're performing to the same audience that is likely to watch the ESC itself. The 5 jury members are also likely to see it so if you impress you're already on their radar months before the show.

I think a strong entry may benefit a little from promo but a strong entry by definition doesn't really need that boost. A mediocre song won't get any boost from being seen at national finals, etc. Molly could've performed Children of the Universe at a dozen national finals and it wouldn't have got her any further up the scoreboard from where she finished. Jade Ewen could've skipped her half dozen promo trips and her song, performance on the night and the Lloyd-Webber connection would've still seen her in the top 5. It's the song and performance on the night that we have to get right... and usually don't as our last 15 years of finishes demonstrate. Here's to finally getting it right for Vienna!
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised. It is actually a good time to do it seeing as this is airing in Australia (SBS), Austria (ORF), Belgium (VRT & RTBF), Bulgaria (BNT), Denmark (DR), Finland (YLE), France (France 2), Greece (NERIT), Iceland (RÚV), Ireland (RTÉ), Israel (IBA), Norway (NRK), Portugal (RTP), Romania (TVR), Russia (C1R), San Marino (SMRTV), Slovenia (RTVSLO), Sweden (SVT), Switzerland (SRF), Spain and likely more.

The countries highlighted are taking part so (assuming it is a good song/singer) it will be a good chance for us to let them hear it before the final. The problem with going straight to the final is it does not allow the other countries to hear it before that night (unless they are hardcore fans and listen online).

The BBC should also do a tour - like they did with Jade.

I can't imagine the EBU allowing the BBC. Seems like unfair promotion.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I can't imagine the EBU allowing the BBC. Seems like unfair promotion.

I wouldn't be too shocked if they did something like 'performing a medley of Eurovision Greatest Hits is the UKs 2015 entry.....' That way its promotion but not too unfair
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the UK act not perform at the concert but it is only broadcast in the UK. It does not make any sense for them to shown as part of the concert in any other country but for the BBC to show off the UK entry at the next Eurovision contest seems a logical thing to do.

It would only take a link by Graham to be slotted in plus the performance and as hosts the BBC can do that easily. Can't see why the EBU or any other country would object

It would be really good experience for the act (who I assume will be a newcomer) to sing in front of big audience and would help them to prepare for the final.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could the UK act not perform at the concert but it is only broadcast in the UK. It does not make any sense for them to shown as part of the concert in any other country but for the BBC to show off the UK entry at the next Eurovision contest seems a logical thing to do.

It would only take a link by Graham to be slotted in plus the performance and as hosts the BBC can do that easily. Can't see why the EBU or any other country would object

It would be really good experience for the act (who I assume will be a newcomer) to sing in front of big audience and would help them to prepare for the final.

That'd be a good idea.. so it won't happen. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a great idea, but it still doesn't get over the barrier of - Most viewers won't see our song until the final. I would actually love for the Big5 to split, and just have everyone competing in heats and semis etc. just so our song gets heard. It would also give the BBC a chance to fix any staging that gets a cold reception. Last year, the over head shots of the pyros made the camera stare at a wall or the metal cage for about 10 seconds. It was very bizarre, not to mention their outfits and the energised drummer. I suppose this is what the rehearsals are for, but clearly the team didn't see it in the same way that it was translated live on tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    This is a great idea, but it still doesn't get over the barrier of - Most viewers won't see our song until the final. I would actually love for the Big5 to split, and just have everyone competing in heats and semis etc. just so our song gets heard. It would also give the BBC a chance to fix any staging that gets a cold reception. Last year, the over head shots of the pyros made the camera stare at a wall or the metal cage for about 10 seconds. It was very bizarre, not to mention their outfits and the energised drummer. I suppose this is what the rehearsals are for, but clearly the team didn't see it in the same way that it was translated live on tv.

The BBC do see the videos of the rehersals as they are filmed and the BBC go through it with the directors..so basically it just tells me that the people that the BBC employ are just not up to the job..a classic example being Blue in 2011 which was shockingly amateur, and the Hunp in 2012 was just lame.
    Could you ever imagine the BBC having the staging from Azerbaijan 2011, or DEnmark 2013 because i cant.Staging wise you need to be Premier League and we are often League 2..last year was a little better...but rfeal.ly when you get to the finals week anyway its often too late as planning and props will already have been sorted.
    But, they do film the rehersals and show each tv station how it will look on the night and that is when they can tweak things.
  • Options
    thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi guys. Joining back in as i feel the season upon us :)

Well, we know it is going to be another unknown. they have made such a stink about the online application for anyone to do it.

All we have to do is look up new artists who have a new song under 3 minutes lol :) time to stalk twitter!
  • Options
    babbababba Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As its the 60th anniversary I have heard through a good source the BBC are pulling all the stops out and the shortlist for contestants are..DES O CONNOR, WAGNER, BRUCE FORSYTH and STEVE BROCKSTIEN....