ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big24fan wrote: »
    So who's buying the DVD/Blu-ray tomorrow? LOL
    :o:o:o I won't answer that.

Sad to see Ken Jr survive while Muriel died. :( I thought the scene where Mr Batley didn't want to leave his dead wife was particularly poignant. :cry:

On the other hand, I was very shocked at how rushed it was - there was two minutes maximum between the ship hitting the iceberg and the lifeboats being loaded here, when I'm pretty sure it was at least 40 minutes in real life. Not good, not good...
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Paolo :mad: It could have redeemed itself for all of five seconds, but that was too much for Fellowes.

I know :mad:
  • goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Yes. In a lifeboat. :mad:;):p

Or clinging to the side of a giant packet of Marlborough Lights
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    goldielox wrote: »
    This programme has been a poignant tribute and puts Fellowes trash to absolute shame.

I've been watching that slightly behind everyone else. I should be surprised that the crews wages were stopped from the time of the sinking, but somehow I'm not. Just shows how some things never change :(
  • AJ21AJ21 Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the final episode was absolute rubbish, it was too dark to see what was happening
  • goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    AJ21 wrote: »
    the final episode was absolute rubbish, it was too dark to see what was happening

Considering how rubbish it was, that could be seen as a blessing
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Saving the Titanic" programme on C4 this afternoon was a far better dramatic tribute. It starts with the engineers and men who worked below decks who survived finding out they are four days short in their wage packets.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Osiris55 wrote: »
    I've been watching that slightly behind everyone else. I should be surprised that the crews wages were stopped from the time of the sinking, but somehow I'm not. Just shows how some things never change :(

I was shocked Osiris but you're right of course.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad I wasn't t the only one who couldn't see. I thought I was just at the wrong angle to my TV so I sat up a bit and still spent the rest of it squinting at vague shapes.

By contrast I've spent most of the weekend bawling at other Titanic programmes, but this one didn't raise a single care in me, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I'm thinking the Titanic sank itself to get away from the terrible script.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osiris55 wrote: »

It sounds harsh but I guess 'it was just the way it was done' according to the company regulations at the time, and seems worse because of the circumstances of their deaths. Today, if someone dies whilst working for a company, I guess their pay stops on the day of their death and they would be paid up until that day plus any holiday pay, etc., due. I suppose some companies might pay until the end of the week or month.

it is possibly something we do not think of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds harsh but I guess 'it was just the way it was done' according to the company regulations at the time, and seems worse because of the circumstances of their deaths. Today, if someone dies whilst working for a company, I guess their pay stops on the day of their death and they would be paid up until that day plus any holiday pay, etc., due. I suppose some companies might pay until the end of the week or month.

it is possibly something we do not think of.

According to one programme this afternoon, they stopped the wages of the crew who survived from the moment of the crash as "they weren't working"..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did lord manton die or survive? it was too dark for me to see and what about bates and harry widener?
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    According to one programme this afternoon, they stopped the wages of the crew who survived from the moment of the crash as "they weren't working"..

Ouch!:(
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry Widener died in real life, so I'm sure he died in this too! The Earl of Manton also survived - revived by magical brandy conveniently carried by Dorothy Gibson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I wasn't t the only one who couldn't see. I thought I was just at the wrong angle to my TV so I sat up a bit and still spent the rest of it squinting at vague shapes.

By contrast I've spent most of the weekend bawling at other Titanic programmes, but this one didn't raise a single care in me, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I'm thinking the Titanic sank itself to get away from the terrible script.

there was a programme on earlier today called inside the titanic which was much better in my view
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did lord manton die or survive? it was too dark for me to see and what about bates and harry widener?
    Lord Manton made it. They pulled him on to a boat and Sophie Winkelman gave him brandy and he sprung back to life. Phew!! Not sure about the other 2 you mention...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member

I think they had more important things on their minds ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Harry Widener died in real life, so I'm sure he died in this too! The Earl of Manton also survived - revived by magical brandy conveniently carried by Dorothy Gibson.

Yes, that brandy produced spectacular results for sure!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's titanic could have been great, it started off well but unfortunately became a damp squib
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "Saving the Titanic" programme on C4 this afternoon was a far better dramatic tribute. It starts with the engineers and men who worked below decks who survived finding out they are four days short in their wage packets.

They smoked too. :D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JasonMason wrote: »
    Yes, that brandy produced spectacular results for sure!!

Not only did it revive Manton, but it allowed Lady Manton to overcome her previous (borderline autistic) snootiness and redeem herself. It was revitalising, revivifying, redemptive brandy - vintage 1850.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Not only did it revive Manton, but it allowed Lady Manton to overcome her previous (borderline autistic) snootiness and redeem herself. It was revitalising, revivifying, redemptive brandy - vintage 1850.

Shame they couldn't have spared a drop for poor Paolo - who looked about alive on the boat as Lord Manton was!:D Clearly too expensive a bottle to waste on the waiter!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, she really came into her own in the face of such adversity! Why don't they make brandy like that anymore? The world needs this potion.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't they give Paolo any brandy! Why!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    Why didn't they give Paolo any brandy! Why!!

He was probably happy to go quietly in case there was a sequel.