Options

Is there a product similar to digiguide for Mac

2»

Comments

• Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Where can you get the Windows 7 DVDs though? I've been looking for them and can't get them anywhere. I even tried an independent computer store and they said they didn't have them.

:eek: Is this a serious question? :confused: Amazon has loads of the things
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where can you get the Windows 7 DVDs though? I've been looking for them and can't get them anywhere. I even tried an independent computer store and they said they didn't have them.

search windows 7 dvd digitalriver
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    search windows 7 dvd digitalriver

Is that safe?
    alan1302 wrote: »
    :eek: Is this a serious question? :confused: Amazon has loads of the things

It is. I wanted to buy it in an actual shop rather than online, but if I need one I might have no other option but to look online. I don't even know if Amazon delivers to Ireland.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that safe?

It is. I wanted to buy it in an actual shop rather than online, but if I need one I might have no other option but to look online. I don't even know if Amazon delivers to Ireland.
    Amazon does deliver to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200395880

You can buy Windows 7 Home Premium from Currys or PC World, for £129.95. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-03351305-pdt.html
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that safe?

Digital river is legit,
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Amazon does deliver to both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200395880

You can buy Windows 7 Home Premium from Currys or PC World, for £129.95. http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft-windows-7-home-premium-03351305-pdt.html

Thanks. Might have to pop down to Currys or PC World sometime. I have both in my town but PC World is useless. I have a feeling my local one will close down and Currys will become a combined Currys PC World. Currys is better stocked and there's always more people.
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Digital river is legit,

That's ok. It's just that I'd never heard of it before and I would be worried about my details if I decided to use it.
  • Options
    The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    How is OS X similar to iOS on a UI front?

One is full-screen apps versus windows.
    One has a grid of icons versus a dock.
    One has a "settings app", the other has a permanent toolbar.

If you said gestures then maybe.

Similarity of the indicators and names, Mail, Calendar, etc, plus some of the UX constructs, Notification Center, gestures, etc

Not identical, but there is some indicative commonality which will help.

Dave
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I'm use OS X I tend to use the programs in the full screen mode.

I keep plenty of icons on the desktop with my favourite programs on the dock.

The dock in iOS looks the same as the OS X dock, it even has some of the same icons on it by default.

The notification bar in ML is exactly the same design as the one in iOS.

Although I personally don't use Launchpad it is modelled on iOS.
    ibatten wrote: »
    Although Launchpad, if you use it, is taken directly from iOS.

And Mountain Lion is also moving heavily towards encouraging full-screen use, with every application having a full screen button (which also occludes the menu bar at the top and the dock at the bottom).

Interesting comments about OS X moving towards full screen windows, given that one of the complaints people have been giving re: Windows 8 - using full screen chromeless apps versus windows on the desktop.

But yes, it's the way I've always operated, maximised windows is an area it seems Windows has been ahead of OS X for a decade at least. I've always found it curious how many Mac users (especially users of laptops) prefer lots of overlapping windows, each taking up a small amount of screen space rather than maximised windows making the most of limited screen space.

In that context of preferring each windows to be as big as possible, I've always wondered why an application-switching tool like Expose or Mission Control is preferred over the ones in modern versions of Windows like Flip 3D and Alt-Tab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Rat wrote: »
    Similarity of the indicators and names, Mail, Calendar, etc, plus some of the UX constructs, Notification Center, gestures, etc

Not identical, but there is some indicative commonality which will help.

Dave

Ok. Though I question how beneficial that is. If iOS had Mail and OS X had E-mail, would I really be worse off? Notification center is a sidebar in OS X isn't it? (As opposed to a window shade).

Spotlight I guess is common to both.

Core UX constructs like Finder, the Dock and the menubar are going to be as new for an iOS user as an Android or other mobile user.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting comments about OS X moving towards full screen windows, given that one of the complaints people have been giving re: Windows 8 - using full screen chromeless apps versus windows on the desktop.

But yes, it's the way I've always operated, maximised windows is an area it seems Windows has been ahead of OS X for a decade at least. I've always found it curious how many Mac users (especially users of laptops) prefer lots of overlapping windows, each taking up a small amount of screen space rather than maximised windows making the most of limited screen space.

In that context of preferring each windows to be as big as possible, I've always wondered why an application-switching tool like Expose or Mission Control is preferred over the ones in modern versions of Windows like Flip 3D and Alt-Tab.

As a long time Windows user I would suggest I am in the minority that I run everything windowed and never in full screen. The important point is that the user has had the choice either which way. I would agree with you that Windows has always been ahead of OSX in this regard, and only recently has Apple decided to bring OSX up to the standards of Windows. It is curious that the vision of windowed/full-screen has been regressed by MS in Windows 8 Modern UI.

Dave
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The differences are that full screen in OS X is entirely optional and it is there for traditional programs, not 'apps'.

I have Windows 8 Pro on one of my PC's and, having downloaded some from the store, find the 'apps' to be a waste of time, just glorified widgets.

Last week I deleted pretty much all of the 'apps', including a number of pre-loaded Microsoft ones so I can have the disk space back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok. Though I question how beneficial that is. If iOS had Mail and OS X had E-mail, would I really be worse off? Notification center is a sidebar in OS X isn't it? (As opposed to a window shade).

Core UX constructs like Finder, the Dock and the menubar are going to be as new for an iOS user as an Android or other mobile user.

Yes, if you have never used an iOS device it would be pretty disorientating to use OS X.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The name is perhaps less important compared to the icon and general look and feel of the application. They are not identical, but similar enough to enforce familiaity. As for the Notification Center, what is used for and how it behaves are similar.

Finder, perhaps (you tell them its like Windows Explorer right?); the Dock, there is a limited version on iOS but understanding the windowing behaviour is something they would have to learn; the menubar, sure but its pretty intutive.

I am not a massive fan, but Apple have done pretty well at bringing OSX and iOS together IMO.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a long time Windows user I would suggest I am in the minority that I run everything windowed and never in full screen. It is curious that the vision of windowed/full-screen has been regressed by MS in Windows 8 Modern UI.

Dave

I'm guessing you have a large screen to be running everything windowed? Apart from movies, games and possibly large excel spreadsheets, I would probably want to run most things windowed too if I had a large screen which I may do if I get an iMac though it will be hard to break out of my maximising habits.

Using full screen metro apps with no window chrome was initially very strange to me. People are used to the edge window chrome (including min, max, close buttons) and can feel "trapped" in those apps without the chrome. It is funny, because one doesn't get that feeling using apps on tablets or phones. Sometimes it is nice to use the full-screen apps for a distraction free environment e.g. in news or reading apps or for immersion e.g. the bing travel app.

Windows 8 does have choice, after a fashion, in that you can use the desktop as well as metro apps. There is a third party tool one can use to run metro apps in windows. Windows Blue, with the extra snap views etc, might well allow a better mix and match of metro and desktop apps.

A lot of the reason behind the UI is that touch generally needs larger targets to hit. Evidence from reviewers seems to be that they often enjoy the addition of touch as an interaction mechanism alongside mouse and keyboard. Some sort of hybrid where we can be switching between desktop and metro mentalities still is the future IMO, it's just that we are at v1.0 of that vision.

UI considerations aside, sometimes I do prefer using WinRT apps because they have better resource management for example. E.g. I generally use winRT Skype over Win32 Skype.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not a massive fan, but Apple have done pretty well at bringing OSX and iOS together IMO.

Dave

I have been considering going Mac for a while now as I already have an iPad and an iPhone (though iPhone is for work, Windows Phone is personal).

The main problem I have is that I like Microsoft's general direction, they have improved their cloud services a lot and still improving, they will be iterating and maturing WinRT and I do like Metro's design sensibilities when done well.

I initially enjoyed the 3D-ness, glossiness and skeuomorphism in most of iOS after the starkness in Windows Phone but ultimately I just find the sparse design, really efficient and easy on my eyes compared to often hunting for icons in the apple world.

Main thing putting me off now is cost (Mac + OS X software + various accessories). Also, Apple's secrecy makes it much harder to know where they are headed over the next 5 years compared to MS.

Apple = great at execution, post-Jobs vision is a question mark.

MS = compelling vision, poor execution and no traction with good developers anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing you have a large screen to be running everything windowed? Apart from movies, games and possibly large excel spreadsheets, I would probably want to run most things windowed too if I had a large screen which I may do if I get an iMac though it will be hard to break out of my maximising habits.

Using full screen metro apps with no window chrome was initially very strange to me. People are used to the edge window chrome (including min, max, close buttons) and can feel "trapped" in those apps without the chrome. It is funny, because one doesn't get that feeling using apps on tablets or phones. Sometimes it is nice to use the full-screen apps for a distraction free environment e.g. in news or reading apps or for immersion e.g. the bing travel app.

Windows 8 does have choice, after a fashion, in that you can use the desktop as well as metro apps. There is a third party tool one can use to run metro apps in windows. Windows Blue, with the extra snap views etc, might well allow a better mix and match of metro and desktop apps.

A lot of the reason behind the UI is that touch generally needs larger targets to hit. Evidence from reviewers seems to be that they often enjoy the addition of touch as an interaction mechanism alongside mouse and keyboard. Some sort of hybrid where we can be switching between desktop and metro mentalities still is the future IMO, it's just that we are at v1.0 of that vision.

UI considerations aside, sometimes I do prefer using WinRT apps because they have better resource management for example. E.g. I generally use winRT Skype over Win32 Skype.

OS X allows you to maximise a program, the menus still stay on the top bar (which does annoy me after using only Windows for a while) and you can also go full screen which hides the menu bar until you move the mouse pointer up there - even now not all programs support full screen.

I can't help feeling that the 'apps' are there on PC's purely because Microsoft's management saw what Apple had done and thought we'll have some of that - the big difference being Apple's Mac Store sells full sized programs, not 'apps' (sort of like Steam).

EDIT: personally I find Skydrive is way better than iCloud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help feeling that the 'apps' are there on PC's purely because Microsoft's management saw what Apple had done and thought we'll have some of that - the big difference being Apple's Mac Store sells full sized programs, not 'apps' (sort of like Steam).

EDIT: personally I find Skydrive is way better than iCloud.

I do believe that eventually Apple will allow the sale and running of iOS apps on OS X, perhaps in a fixed size window.

The app store on Windows 8 is terrible in terms of design and app discovery as well as the issues you mention.

They should allow the purchase of Win32 apps through the store, hopefully when they do a re-design.

I think the way MS should do it is supersets depending on form factor. So phones only run phone apps. Windows RT tablets run WinRT apps plus phone apps (like iPad does iPad and iPhone apps). Windows 8 devices should be able to run win32 apps, winrt apps and phone apps.

The store would have the option to display all relevant app types or only the ones you want. In Windows RT, phone apps would run in any relevant snapped app view. In Windows 8, the apps would run in their default modes but windowed apps would be an option or similar (will see what flexibility Blue brings).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do believe that eventually Apple will allow the sale and running of iOS apps on OS X, perhaps in a fixed size window.

The app store on Windows 8 is terrible in terms of design and app discovery as well as the issues you mention.

They should allow the purchase of Win32 apps through the store, hopefully when they do a re-design.

I think the way MS should do it is supersets depending on form factor. So phones only run phone apps. Windows RT tablets run WinRT apps plus phone apps (like iPad does iPad and iPhone apps). Windows 8 devices should be able to run win32 apps, winrt apps and phone apps.

The store would have the option to display all relevant app types or only the ones you want. In Windows RT, phone apps would run in any relevant snapped app view. In Windows 8, the apps would run in their default modes but windowed apps would be an option or similar (will see what flexibility Blue brings).

I have ModernMix from Stardock which allows me to run 'apps' in a window on the desktop and I do like it that way even if it is a complete 180 on how Microsoft views Windows 8 (got it free as I have a Stardock Object Desktop subscription).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have ModernMix from Stardock which allows me to run 'apps' in a window on the desktop and I do like it that way even if it is a complete 180 on how Microsoft views Windows 8 (got it free as I have a Stardock Object Desktop subscription).

$50 a year! That's a lot of money.

I'm ok with the Win8 start screen, for others I'd probably say take Start8 and ModernMix for $9.98
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    $50 a year! That's a lot of money.

I'm ok with the Win8 start screen, for others I'd probably say take Start8 and ModernMix for $9.98

I wanted some of the other stuff as well for a Windows 7 PC and it worked out cheaper to buy Object Desktop - the one year subscription was free, not going to renew it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, I have a 27" screen. I have been doing everything windowed since the days that I did everything on a 15" screen. I guess its natural. When you run the Modern UI in Windows 8 on a 27" screen you realise just how ridiculous it really is as a desktop paradigm.

To me, suggesting Windows 8 has the desktop mode as a way around the base-functionality of the Modern UI illustrates what a poorly designed system it really is. I have always argued this with Mac users when they say one of the advantages of OSX is that it has bootcamp to let you boot into another system. It is ridiculous that the solution to a problem is to use something equivalent and tout it as an "advantage".
    I have been considering going Mac for a while now as I already have an iPad and an iPhone (though iPhone is for work, Windows Phone is personal).

The main problem I have is that I like Microsoft's general direction, they have improved their cloud services a lot and still improving, they will be iterating and maturing WinRT and I do like Metro's design sensibilities when done well.

I initially enjoyed the 3D-ness, glossiness and skeuomorphism in most of iOS after the starkness in Windows Phone but ultimately I just find the sparse design, really efficient and easy on my eyes compared to often hunting for icons in the apple world.

Main thing putting me off now is cost (Mac + OS X software + various accessories). Also, Apple's secrecy makes it much harder to know where they are headed over the next 5 years compared to MS.

Apple = great at execution, post-Jobs vision is a question mark.

MS = compelling vision, poor execution and no traction with good developers anymore.

Tbh, I'm not a fan of Apple or OSX but I have decided in recent months that I do not buy into the MS way of things going forward. Apple are cagey but I have yet to see them suggest, publicly or otherwise, that they will bork the desktop experience (user or technical) of OSX in the way MS have with Windows. This is the view of my work team and whereas 5 years ago we used Windows desktops and remoted to Apple desktops for OSX development, I would be surprised if this was not reversed in the next 5 years.

IME from speaking with people in my industry and with clients, MS have pissed a lot of people off in recent times with there waffly nonsense and lack of any leadership or direction with any of their offerings, in particular their most important offering, Windows.

Anyway, I think I have derailed this thread far enough.

Dave