Options

The Walking Dead - Season 4 - 5* pace

Comments

• Options
    innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Didn't even know it was on 5*, last I heard it was drooped by five for season four and Diginet five had a contract to show it, haven't seen any adverts for this, Dam! I have missed the first 2 episodes, I'm not a happy chappy!
    Annoyed! I was on this forum last week and not an inkling! I was planning to wait until the DVD came out and was counting down the days, I take to cut costs they didn't advertise it!

Hi there managed to catch the first 2 episodes on 5 on demand, it was ok but prefer the big screen, didn't watch the re-run of series 3 as I have it on my hard drive and hacve watched it over and over again so no need to catch it's re-run and don't watch Big Brother so missed the adverts for it, I thought I would like 2 episodes at a time but now prefer one! I suppose they have to show some in quick succession as the box set is out late September, anyway looks a good series so far hope they beat the illness that is in the prison, Why was this thread moved?
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you all enjoy season 4. Season 4 was a terrific season. At times, rather sad and heartbreaking. But when it delivers it's action and twists, you will not be let down and you will be gripped.

Completely agree 110% brilliant series cant wait for Series 5 in Oct to start
  • Options
    CharentonCharenton Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made a complaint to OFCOM re the lack of subtitles on The Walking Dead, and other programmes that Ch5 have chosen to screen on 5USA without subtitles. OFCOM asked for Channel 5’s comments with regards to the new series of The Walking Dead not carrying subtitles. This is Channel 5's reply to OFCOM:-

Channel 5 apologised and said it now recognised that it had not paid sufficient attention to the series’ loyal fans who would have had a reasonable expectation that the new series would have been subtitled. Channel 5 said it now regretted this decision.

But at the end of the day we still have no subtitles to help understand what's being said.
  • Options
    innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    So, Why was this post moved and where to?
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Didn't take the Govenor long to get over his slump did it? Poor poor Hershel, that's no way for a much loved character to go.

Suppose that's the last we see of the prison.

Great episode, but so sad .:(
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five`s presentation of this is so bad I`m actually looking forward to them dumping it so I can buy the DVDs instead, guilt-free for future seasons.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    There seem to be some scenes that have been cut-god knows why, it's on after the watershed.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Episode 7 was a bit uneventful but still did well to turn The Governor or 'Brian' into who we know,

Episode 8 was simply awesome. As soon as that sword swung at Hershel's head, all hell broke lose. What happened next should have been the Season 3 finale - at least we got it 8 episodes later.

Hershel's death was not nice at all. One of the best characters who I didn't like initially in Season 2 but in 3 and particularly 4, he was great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Chas1989 wrote: »
    Episode 7 was a bit uneventful but still did well to turn The Governor or 'Brian' into who we know,

Episode 8 was simply awesome. As soon as that sword swung at Hershel's head, all hell broke lose. What happened next should have been the Season 3 finale - at least we got it 8 episodes later.

Hershel's death was not nice at all. One of the best characters who I didn't like initially in Season 2 but in 3 and particularly 4, he was great.

Yeah I was gutted by Hershel's death too, the last few episode of season 4 were really good I though, looking forward to season 5 :D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It feels absolutely terrible that Hershel was killed, and especially the way in which it was done.
    It was even worse in last night's episode where Michonne finds Hershel's zombified head and skewers it with her Katana.
    Horrible stuff.

But this is how good drama has to be in order for people to know that even strong characters might die at any time. It needs that sense of ever-present danger.

Episode 8 was possibly the best episode I've ever seen of the show.
    Now it's moving into a different direction it feels like series 4 was deliberately created as a kind of two part series.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really pissed off as I thought that they were just repeating season 3 on Five * and now I've missed half of the season! I flicked over a few weeks ago to watch what I thought was a S3 repeat and as it showed The Governor attacking the jail (again!) it just confirmed to myself that it was a repeat! I must admit that I was thinking that I didn't remember Herschel being killed and the little girls shooting people, but I just thought that I'd forgotten about those bits.

It doesn't say much for the channel when even people who are fans of the show don't realise that a new season has started!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're quite right Monty. Ch5's usual procedure is to show a programme on Ch5 and subsequent repeats on 5USA or 5*.

As I said earlier in this thread, in order to save money Ch5 have put various US series on the minor channels so they can save a few quid by not providing subtitles for them. I took this up with OFCOM and they in turn asked Ch5 the reason for no subtitles. Ch5's reply is in post dated 20 Aug 2014 above.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really pissed off as I thought that they were just repeating season 3 on Five * and now I've missed half of the season! I flicked over a few weeks ago to watch what I thought was a S3 repeat and as it showed The Governor attacking the jail (again!) it just confirmed to myself that it was a repeat! I must admit that I was thinking that I didn't remember Herschel being killed and the little girls shooting people, but I just thought that I'd forgotten about those bits.

It doesn't say much for the channel when even people who are fans of the show don't realise that a new season has started!

I didn't know either. I just caught it before the first episode aired by pure luck alone.
    There was no promotion or advertising of it on Channel 5 that I was aware of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Episodes 1-8 were available in HD on Sky Demand, now its only 5* Demand in SD for Episodes 9 & 10.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »
    Episodes 1-8 were available in HD on Sky Demand, now its only 5* Demand in SD for Episodes 9 & 10.

I watched Eps 9 and 10 in HD last week.

Thought Ep 11 was a slow burn but still some decent moments.

Ep 12 was very good and afterwards I read that it was the first ever WD episode to only feature two characters.
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to watch it, there are lots of free streaming sites. You do not have to download any files etc.
  • Options
    Alpha32Alpha32 Posts: 2,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 Weeks! (FOX)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaah!!!

5* ......... who knows. But 4 WEEKS!! Can't wait for Season 5 to start. The first lot of FOX adverts for TWD started airing over the weekend!
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch, the second one last night really caught me off-guard, I definitely wasn't expecting anything like that, even with the expectation of a certain amount of 'what it does to people' and a fair degree of 'necessity action'. That said, Carol was already established as having form in this area and it was all a little too good to last...

And the way the execution was justified - not as punishment for murder but as a pre-emptive act to make sure there weren't any more.

Presumably when/if they find everybody again, the story told won't have a lot of factual content...

[ guessing the quiet thread here means people have already seen this elsewhere? ]
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ouch, the second one last night really caught me off-guard, I definitely wasn't expecting anything like that, even with the expectation of a certain amount of 'what it does to people' and a fair degree of 'necessity action'. That said, Carol was already established as having form in this area and it was all a little too good to last...

And the way the execution was justified - not as punishment for murder but as a pre-emptive act to make sure there weren't any more.

Presumably when/if they find everybody again, the story told won't have a lot of factual content...

[ guessing the quiet thread here means people have already seen this elsewhere? ]

I have watched it on Fox so I'm not watching again...........but I'm just dipping into this thread to see FMs reactions

That episode that you refer to was definitely the 'Queen Episode' of the half series following the mid season break.........what a fantastic episode !............:o
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I watch at the US pace through unspeakable means, but reading through this thread I am not surprised to learn that many are unhappy with Channel 5's treatment of the show. They never seem to be able to do anything right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain the start of episode 13 for me please?

It opened with a guy walking along the road when Glenn in a pick up and Daryl on a motorcycle. The guy joined them and they drove off. The next scenes were with Daryl and Beth. As I'm hard of hearing, and the dog has chewed my hearing aid, the lack of subtitles made it almost impossible for me to make out was being said by anyone.

I assume it was Daryl at the start, it certainly looked like him with his crossbow.

Also, what reason did Lizzie give for killing her sister in episode 14? I couldn't make that dialogue out either.
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »
    Can someone explain the start of episode 13 for me please?

It opened with a guy walking along the road when Glenn in a pick up and Daryl on a motorcycle. The guy joined them and they drove off. The next scenes were with Daryl and Beth. As I'm hard of hearing, and the dog has chewed my hearing aid, the lack of subtitles made it almost impossible for me to make out was being said by anyone.

I assume it was Daryl at the start, it certainly looked like him with his crossbow.

Also, what reason did Lizzie give for killing her sister in episode 14? I couldn't make that dialogue out either.

It was a flashback to when Bob first joined the group whilst they were in the prison - an episode recap is here

As for Lizzy she was convinced the walkers were "people" so thought that her sister would come back - but she was bonkers of course:) Again the recap with some of the dialogue might here explain.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charenton wrote: »

I'm not massively excited about the idea of a spin-off, it feels like most shows are doing them nowadays.

I know the comics had a few companion novels, but as far as I know (I'm still to read them), they expanded on the stories of some comic characters, rather than just being about a whole new group of people in another part of the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    It was a flashback to when Bob first joined the group whilst they were in the prison - an episode recap is here

As for Lizzy she was convinced the walkers were "people" so thought that her sister would come back - but she was bonkers of course:) Again the recap with some of the dialogue might here explain.

Thanks for that hardeep. Thanks for links too, they did help.

I did think that the guy we saw at the start looked a bit like the guy later on. Not being able to hear most of the dialogue I missed a few names. Perhaps. "Previously Seen" on the screen may have helped at the start. In fact that opening scene was completely irrelevant for me.

For the time being, until I get a new hearing aid, I will watch future episodes with the recap page open and read it as the programme is on. I watch the programme after recording previuosly so it's simple to pause and read the dialogue I've just missed.

Thanks again.