Patrick Moore attacks Germany he still hates it after 70 years

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
Forum Member
✭✭
Is he out of order here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137652/Patrick-Moore-says-hates-Germans-70-years-Nazi-bomb-killed-fianc-e.html

Whilst I can understand his pain at loosing the love of his life, the germany of today bears no relevance of the Nazi Germany of the 1930s & 40s.

Of couse yes Neo Nazis and Hitler admiers are scum of the earth and should still be treated as such. However he does admit that there probably are some nice germans but he has never met any. (apart from members of the royal family:D)

Comments

• HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Is he out of order here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2137652/Patrick-Moore-says-hates-Germans-70-years-Nazi-bomb-killed-fianc-e.html

Whilst I can understand his pain at loosing the love of his life, the germany of today bears no relevance of the Nazi Germany of the 1930s & 40s.

Of couse yes Neo Nazis and Hitler admiers are scum of the earth and should still be treated as such. However he does admit that there probably are some nice germans but he has never met any. (apart from members of the royal family:D)

He has never got over losing his fiancee. He is on record as saying that "Sometimes I go as long as half an hour without thinking about her".
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with him, but I've never been in the position that he and many others were in during the second world war. I've also met members of the Burma Star Association who would make the comments made by Sir Patrick look tame. I think this should be taken in context and then left alone.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When that national treasure Sir Patrick Moore does eventually pass away, I for one will be extremely disappointed if not a single tabloid newspaper carries the headline "No More Mr Night Sky."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is entitled to hate whoever he chooses, unless there really is thought police in operation :eek:
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of people on here harp on about the Daily Mail during the war, so it is no less unreasonable to hate on the actual Germans, I guess....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly this man is not thick, he is a clever man, and I dont understand why his does not understand that the people of Germany today are not the people of Germany from the time that his wife was killed. Thinking of the Germans today the same as yesteryear seems dumb to me. Its a very backward view imo. Viewing the Germans the same as we did so many decades ago is stupid plain and simply. And I dont want to go all PC about this, but maybe he should not be working at the BBC. Its absolute ignorance. A white person calling a black person a ****** is just as bad as what he said. He may be a mb-whatever or something, ignorance is ignorance.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't blame the German people of today for what happened 70 years ago. Most of them were not even born then.
  • Mad Man MoonMad Man Moon Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly this man is not thick, he is a clever man, and I dont understand why his does not understand that the people of Germany today are not the people of Germany from the time that his wife was killed. Thinking of the Germans today the same as yesteryear seems dumb to me. Its a very backward view imo. Viewing the Germans the same as we did so many decades ago is stupid plain and simply. And I dont want to go all PC about this, but maybe he should not be working at the BBC. Its absolute ignorance. A white person calling a black person a ****** is just as bad as what he said. He may be a mb-whatever or something, ignorance is ignorance.

He's 89, cut him some slack. Phil the Greek says a lot worse and gets away with it..
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say, this made me chuckle:
    He continued: ‘I’m no European. Why? Go to Europe and look around. The Germans tried to conquer us. The French betrayed us. The Belgians did very little and the Italians made us our ice cream.

:D
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with him, but I've never been in the position that he and many others were in during the second world war. I've also met members of the Burma Star Association who would make the comments made by Sir Patrick look tame. I think this should be taken in context and then left alone.

You are right context is the thing. My grandad hated Earl Haig and would always bad mouth him as he felt that his idiotic war campaign took away his beloved brother.

Same with the people who sent their medals back after Mrs Thatcher went to Hirohito's funeral, these same people would never buy anything Japanese and would bad mouth them all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    My grandad died an elderly man in the 1980's but he passionately hated the Japanese.
    I never understood why until I was much older and learned what he would have gone through as a prisoner of war. He never talked about it.
    As a teen I bought a small Toshiba radio with money he gave me for my birthday and he was devastated.
    Patrick Moore is entitled to his opinion just as anyone else is. Some elderly people cannot forget the past and how it has affected their lives. Sad as it is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand the old ones still having angst against Germany. I am sure their angst is against the Germany of old and i am sure he does not hold the new generations responsible for the acts of the old.

What annoys me is when my generation come with all the anti German sentiment.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Is he out of order here?

Unless they show otherwise, the Germany of today should not be slated for the actions of people that were around 72 years ago.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I'm 89 I won't give a 4x what the youngsters of the day think of my outdated ideas either. A generation that has never known the hardship of total war has no place judging the opinions of those who suffered through it.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not ignorance.
    It's passion.

Very dangerous in this day and age, really can't be allowed.:rolleyes:

How would we be controlled by the elite, the politicians, if people actually felt things that cut through the mogadon effect of reality TV and the latest consumer must have.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I'm 89 I won't give a 4x what the youngsters of the day think of my outdated ideas either. A generation that has never known the hardship of total war has no place judging the opinions of those who suffered through it.

Youngsters of the day

"Wuz a 4x?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not ignorance.
    It's passion.

Yes because those are definitely mutually exclusive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    Youngsters of the day

"Wuz a 4x?

".....won't give a f**k".

or

"....won't give a ****" if in polite company. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ".....wont give a f**k".

Youngsters of the day cut the credit chip out of MidnightFalcon's hand.
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Patrick Moore said and I quote

‘The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut,’ the 89-year-old has declared in an interview to mark the 55th anniversary of his star-gazing TV show The Sky At Night."

He was did not clarify it was previous war criminals .Personally I find it deepy offensive , I have German family and being 89 is no excuse for a hate filled rant on a whole nation .,

Britain has history too and I would say the same about any one who ranted about the British nation like that over past crimes .
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a bit of typical Patrick Moore eccentricity. The only reason he hasn't met any 'good honourable decent Germans' is because he hasn't made any attempt to! As with our very own people, there are good, bad and evil and i'm sure that a man as intelligent as Sir Patrick must know that.

I didn't know about his lost love though and it seems he never got over that as he has remained a bachelor throughout his life.

Best known for his extraordinary knowledge of Astronomy he is also an expert xylophone player too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

‘The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut,’

Actually the full quote makes it clear the he does NOT distinguish between the past and the present
    he suggests that Germany still thirsts for world domination, saying: ‘We must take care. There may be another war. The Germans will try again, given another chance. A Kraut is a Kraut is a Kraut. And the only good Kraut is a dead Kraut.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Bollox. If Patrick Moore was fronting current affairs or cultural programmes, you might have a point but he talks about astronomy, a subject on which he is an expert. His private views on Germany have nothing to do with it. The modern fashion for attacking personal beliefs just because they don't match this week's Guardian-approved zeitgeist is deplorable.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    Actually the full quote makes it clear the he does NOT distinguish between the past and the present

Well, he was around for two world wars against Germany, I suppose.

I can't get worried about it. A colleague of my Mother's, now dead, led a group of survivors out of a prison camp after the war. Most of them died on the way, he was very tall, and weighed six stone when they found help.

He didn't have a good word to say about them either.

I didn't argue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

‘The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut,’ the 89-year-old has declared in an interview to mark the 55th anniversary of his star-gazing TV show The Sky At Night."

He was did not clarify it was previous war criminals .Personally I find it deepy offensive , I have German family and being 89 is no excuse for a hate filled rant on a whole nation .,

Britain has history too and I would say the same about any one who ranted about the British nation like that over past crimes .

I never said I agreed with him, simply that at his age I wouldn'd give a.......toss about what others think of my opinions.

Some scars never heal for the generations that carry them, thankfully subsequent generations move on (most of them anyway).

We didn't see what they saw. We are in no position to pass judgement.