Migrant Coverage

Comments

• JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    They have said they will use foreign aid budget, already ring-fenced, to fund. As this is based on a percentage of GDP and that has risen, there is some more in the fund than anticipated.

well i suppose at least the uk is taking people who have been living in camps and waiting patiently for the situation to improve so they might one day go home. this is a better policy than encouraging mass migration and people smuggling which becomes uncontrollable like merkel has.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Girls wore them when going out but schools were far more disciplined back in the 60's (my final year was 1965) than what they are now and i remember the school my sister went to, skirts had to be knee length and black bras were banned (because they would be visible under the compulsory white blouse tops)..
    My sister went to a grammar and they were strict with school dress, I went to a secondary modern and not so strict.

Bulletguy1 wrote: »

You should see the dregs which walk out of the school in the village where i live. Girls with legs of a stick insect and a piece of cloth as an 'excuse' for a skirt which comes down just below their arse. Of course they think they look stunning. They don't. They look ridiculous. Boys walk around with their trousers hanging off their arse and shirts flapping around. Many look as though they been dragged backwards through a hedge. A right bunch of scruffs.

Must be a pretty shit school then because I never see that sight at school chucking out time and there are plenty of them in my town.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't he simply have been terrified about being taken to a camp? What he did was stupid and dangerous, but again, people do panic under circumstances like that.

Yes he could , he could also have been deranged . Neither you or I know . You no more than me
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That article is peddling the 216 lie.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    well i suppose at least the uk is taking people who have been living in camps and waiting patiently for the situation to improve so they might one day go home. this is a better policy than encouraging mass migration and people smuggling which becomes uncontrollable like merkel has.

Better than nothing, and if the people chosen are the truly vulnerable who cannot manage even in the few good camps,, then it is a good thing. However I would still prefer we spent the money on making those camps better... and working towards getting people home as soon as possible.
  • Username_Username_ Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Do you think if a photo of a British child was washed up after a drowning there'd be outcry for more money for the RNLI?
    Forum Member
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I wonder how long they will continue to follow the Christian faith once they have asylum/leave to stay.

Either way they have now made themselves targets for any IS operatives in Germany.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want one in my home full stop.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    It's all just polite propaganda basically.........
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you know money is only something held onto by the Rich and if only we can tax them out of existence the money will rain down like benefits from heaven?

Work? Wash your mouth out with soap.
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lovely idea. I would like to propose that any volunteers who miss out on the opportunity to adopt a Syrian be given the opportunity to adopt a homeless person instead.

Charity is for life - not just for bragging rights.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a "Foster an Immigrant" program could be worked up! :D
    Forum Member
    I don't think they've really thought this out, they've seen the pic and it's tugged their heart strings, prior to that there wasn't any of this volunteering rooms for anyone.

It isn't going to be for a fortnight where things will get back to normal in their homes once gone, it will be long term and they'll be stuck with it.

There's also the complications you've listed that they'll have to go through
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    The UK is set to take on up to 20,000 migrants

https://www.rt.com/uk/314648-cameron-terror-syria-refugees/

Germans are gloating & finger pointing all over Facebook & a lot of Brits seem to be ashamed & embarrassed.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I understand people changing faith but it does seem a remarkable quick conversion.

I may be wrong though.
    Where have you got this 'change of faith' from? Like UK, Germany is predominantly Christian but Islam is the second largest faith in the country. Just because someone relocates to another country doesn't mean they change their religious faith.

My sister went to a grammar and they were strict with school dress, I went to a secondary modern and not so strict.
    Same here. The Headmaster ran the school and ruled it with a rod of iron. Firm but fair would be the best description. We had a uniform and it was as strict as my sisters school. Well run, well disciplined.

Must be a pretty shit school then because I never see that sight at school chucking out time and there are plenty of them in my town.
    There are three in the village, the other two are junior and primary. The one i was talking about is Comprehensive (or whatever they call them now). It's supposed to have a good reputation but if you saw the samples drifting out at 3pm you wouldn't think so. I'd take my camera down and snap off a few pics to show you but i don't fancy getting arrested!
    Forum Member
    Better than nothing, and if the people chosen are the truly vulnerable who cannot manage even in the few good camps,, then it is a good thing. However I would still prefer we spent the money on making those camps better... and working towards getting people home as soon as possible.

Have you read any Guardian comment sections recently? Your eminently sensible suggestions would have you howled down as an uncaring racist.

Sometimes I'm actually embarrassed to read the damn thing :blush:
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way they have now made themselves targets for any IS operatives in Germany.

Sadly, I think you are correct.
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing cynical about it Germany has a declining birthrate and they need more workers for the most productive economy in Europe. Sounds like a good policy to me, it serves a useful purpose, at least in theory.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Europe Britain has one of the biggest benefits cultures.

Yes, I understand Germany's declining birthrate etc, etc , and yes in theory it is useful for Germany...what I have grave misgivings about is the manner in how she has gone about this, the reckless manner and the disaster and mess that others will have to pick up since she declared Germany open house......those that are reaching Germany are the educated ones, very useful..the rest that have gotten through and who are rejected will be expelled under the Dublin agreement, so we can see who will end up with the very unpleasant aspect of her reckless and selfish spoutings,,that is the reality..is Germany going to cherry pick from the survival of the fittest, educated and with means to pay smugglers and discard the rest as not there problem?
    Forum Member
    Yes, I understand Germany's declining birthrate etc, etc , and yes in theory it is useful for Germany...what I have grave misgivings about is the manner in how she has gone about this, the reckless manner and the disaster and mess that others will have to pick up since she declared Germany open house......those that are reaching Germany are the educated ones, very useful..the rest that have gotten through and who are rejected will be expelled under the Dublin agreement, so we can see who will end up with the very unpleasant aspect of her reckless and selfish spoutings,,that is the reality..is Germany going to cherry pick from the survival of the fittest, educated and with means to pay smugglers and discard the rest as not there problem?

Aww, don't go ruining Germany's back slapping smug-in. :D

Whatever Merkel's plans are, the German population seems to think they're adopting homeless puppies or something.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want a stranger living in my home wherever they come from.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20,000 over 5 years is pretty meager in the scheme of things. The government obviously wanted to be seen to do something while also doing very little.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That article is peddling the 216 lie.
    From House of Commons document regarding Syrians;
    216 people have been resettled in the UK under the scheme (as at the end of June 2015). Over 4,000 Syrians have been granted asylum in the UK since the start of the humanitarian crisis (as at June 2015).
    The ONS come up with the same figures too.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Don't you know money is only something held onto by the Rich and if only we can tax them out of existence the money will rain down like benefits from heaven?

Work? Wash your mouth out with soap.

Wrong thread?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure a D/S member or two who appeared regularly in support in the many refugee threads over the weekend will be along soon to offer a room or two if they have one.;-)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm like the dragons. I have heard enough. I'm out.
This discussion has been closed.