Options

Bouquet of Barbed Wire ITV 1

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    twintwin Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be in the minority, but I thought it was FAB.

But I haven't seen the original, will do soon though as my Mum has it on DVD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    What makes me smile is the ammount of people that watch the third episode having totally not enjoyed the first two :eek:

Same went for Identity, slagging it off after watching all six episodes :)

Well I spose you keep watching it to the end in the vain hope that it will improve. Kind of a morbid fascination thing maybe! :o

Never watched IDENTITY.
  • Options
    ThumbolinaThumbolina Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me smile is the ammount of people that watch the third episode having totally not enjoyed the first two :eek:

I watched the third episode simply to see how they messed up the ending and "Yes" they did mess it up.
  • Options
    Maysie07Maysie07 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I have a question.......

Did the mother honestly forget about the present or was her smile because she knew that her husband was mentally unstable and could well jump. Maybe to protect prue's daughter becoming his new obsession or am I completely reading to much in this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Maysie07 wrote: »
    I have a question.......

Did the mother honestly forget about the present or was her smile because she knew that her husband was mentally unstable and could well jump. Maybe to protect prue's daughter becoming his new obsession or am I completely reading to much in this?

I thought along similar lines - I think she knew he might jump out of it too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes me smile is the ammount of people that watch the third episode having totally not enjoyed the first two :eek

I just watched it because I wanted to know what it was all about. Gavin's obsession and who Paula actually was.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HALibutt wrote: »
    Well I spose you keep watching it to the end in the vain hope that it will improve. Kind of a morbid fascination thing maybe! :o

Never watched IDENTITY.

That's what I did. I do like Trevor Eve, think he's a very good actor and always watchable, but the storyline was LUDICROUS. If Gavin wanted to get revenge, surely his anger would have been directed at the pervert who brought them up and abused them. Or did he do something to the foster parents that I missed?

Also, would Pru have been attracted to a man who treated her family with such contempt? The fact that Gavin was so vile in the first place, makes you wonder what she saw in him - also the relationship with Cassie was just un - believable in the true sense of the word. In the original the relationship that grew between Cassie and Gavin was based on them both feeling excluded by the relationship between Pru and her father. We didn't get that sense here in the remake. Pru turned against her father in favour of Gavin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,560
    Forum Member
    Maysie07 wrote: »
    I have a question.......

Maybe so, but Prue's had a son not a daughter :)

Aside that fact, I think the smile was just that, a smile, knowing that her husband would have loved the gift, not that she was hoping he would jump from it.
    The thing that bugged me was when she said to the son 'it's your father's birthday.' Surely, he would have known that, every kid knows when their parent#s birthdays are, especially older ones!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I did. I do like Trevor Eve, think he's a very good actor and always watchable, but the storyline was LUDICROUS. If Gavin wanted to get revenge, surely his anger would have been directed at the pervert who brought them up and abused them. Or did he do something to the foster parents that I missed?

Also, would Pru have been attracted to a man who treated her family with such contempt? The fact that Gavin was so vile in the first place, makes you wonder what she saw in him - also the relationship with Cassie was just un - believable in the true sense of the word. In the original the relationship that grew between Cassie and Gavin was based on them both feeling excluded by the relationship between Pru and her father. We didn't get that sense here in the remake. Pru turned against her father in favour of Gavin.

Totally agree with this.

That was the most appalling episode (and waste of time). Characters changed their viewpoints from one scene to the next for no reason whatsoever and any sense of reality was lost completely as Peter wandered up to a crashed car to speak to his pregnant daughter while not a single paramedic attended to her (despite being on site), then later was able to jump out of a hot air balloon undetected. There's dramatic licence, and there's pure fantasy. Add that to the endless list of unanswered questions and you are left with one unholy mess.

Yet another pile of poo from ITV Drama ... :rolleyes::yawn: Downton Abbey better be good!
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Totally agree with this.

That was the most appalling episode (and waste of time). Characters changed their viewpoints from one scene to the next for no reason whatsoever and any sense of reality was lost completely as Peter wandered up to a crashed car to speak to his pregnant daughter while not a single paramedic attended to her (despite being on site), then later was able to jump out of a hot air balloon undetected. There's dramatic licence, and there's pure fantasy. Add that to the endless list of unanswered questions and you are left with one unholy mess.

Yet another pile of poo from ITV Drama ... :rolleyes::yawn: Downton Abbey better be good!

I also totally agree. The final episode was absurd.
    Instead of explaining the characters motives, the whole thing just left you completely bewildered.
    Gavin was adopted, his father abuses him, then sexually abuses his adopted sister. Gavin then appears to lay all the blame on Peter, the girl's real father, who gave her up as a student. Surely the targets for his revenge would be the foster parents ?
    Then we have Cassie, why did she find Gavin irresistable ?
    This guy had beaten her daughter black and blue, more or less ruined their lives, and she still has a morning rough and tumble on the couch with him ? In the original there were hints of a sado-masochistic relationship between both mother/daughter and Gavin, this at least went some way in explaining their strange behaviour. In this version, it just seemed bizarre and unbelievable.

There were some good bits, practically all of them thanks to Trevor Eve. The scene in the car with his son was outstanding, when he stopped and let out that primal, almost silent scream. It really made my hairs stand on end.The desperation of a man who had lost everything has rarely been depicted so well.
    There was also the moment when he nearly kisses Prue on the lips, just about realising how far he has gone, and what it meant. But the original was full of such moments, scenes that were uncomfortable but gripping. This was hurried and ultimately unsatisfying in comparison.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also totally agree. The final episode was absurd.
    Instead of explaining the characters motives, the whole thing just left you completely bewildered.
    Gavin was adopted, his father abuses him, then sexually abuses his adopted sister. Gavin then appears to lay all the blame on Peter, the girl's real father, who gave her up as a student. Surely the targets for his revenge would be the foster parents ?
    Then we have Cassie, why did she find Gavin irresistable ?
    This guy had beaten her daughter black and blue, more or less ruined their lives, and she still has a morning rough and tumble on the couch with him ? In the original there were hints of a sado-masochistic relationship between both mother/daughter and Gavin, this at least went some way in explaining their strange behaviour. In this version, it just seemed bizarre and unbelievable.

There were some good bits, practically all of them thanks to Trevor Eve. The scene in the car with his son was outstanding, when he stopped and let out that primal, almost silent scream. It really made my hairs stand on end.The desperation of a man who had lost everything has rarely been depicted so well.
    There was also the moment when he nearly kisses Prue on the lips, just about realising how far he has gone, and what it meant. But the original was full of such moments, scenes that were uncomfortable but gripping. This was hurried and ultimately unsatisfying in comparison.

you're right but i actually liked the last episode

it made the previous carppy ones make sense, never saw the original one on tv so can't comprare
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I liked it, and it made me feel dead clever.I didn't figure out the horses, but there's a very strong Agamemnon thing going on - he had two daughters and sacrificed one. It wasn't a direct parallel with the legend, but there Gavin's reference to the Furies, and Agamemnon's lover was called Cassandra.
    The actor playing Gavin should have stuck with being a sneering sociopath though. His crying was just embarrassing.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never saw the original, so this was all new to me.

I enjoyed it, but as others have pointed out - it never really explained anything.

I have to admit that reading this thread has made me want to watch the original show. I must try and find it on Amazon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I never saw the original, so this was all new to me.

I enjoyed it, but as others have pointed out - it never really explained anything.

I have to admit that reading this thread has made me want to watch the original show. I must try and find it on Amazon.

Yes it did. Peter sacrificed his eldest daughter, and Gavin wreaked revenge on him for it, destroying a few other lives in the process.

The only thing I thought was a bit peculiar was the fact that Cassandra shagged Gavin.

The major failing of this series was calling it a Bouquet of Barbed Wire. When the scriptwriter had finished the adaptation and seen that it was nothing like the original novel, he should have just changed the title (my suggestion would be Fury!, with the exclamation mark), then used the find and replace function to change the names of the four main characters. It wouldn't have taken him more than a few minutes, and there wouldn't have been all those unflattering comments beginning with "In the original...".
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    Well, I liked it, and it made me feel dead clever.I didn't figure out the horses, but there's a very strong Agamemnon thing going on - he had two daughters and sacrificed one. It wasn't a direct parallel with the legend, but there Gavin's reference to the Furies, and Agamemnon's lover was called Cassandra.
    The actor playing Gavin should have stuck with being a sneering sociopath though. His crying was just embarrassing.

There is a little Agamemnon-ish ness. Prue is like Electra, Cassandra is like Clytemnestra, and Gavin is like...I can't remember what Clytemnestra's lover's called.
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    There is a little Agamemnon-ish ness. Prue is like Electra, Cassandra is like Clytemnestra, and Gavin is like...I can't remember what Clytemnestra's lover's called.

This is interesting, but sadly lost on the average viewer, surely. If that were referenced in the story as seen on screen, maybe in the college scenes with Gavin, it might have made a bit more sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »

If Cassandra was Clytemnestra, I suppose that means that Sarah was, er, Cassandra:D
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    For those who wish to relive the balloon moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hPM8abMyc
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    This is interesting, but sadly lost on the average viewer, surely. If that were referenced in the story as seen on screen, maybe in the college scenes with Gavin, it might have made a bit more sense.

Maybe your so-called 'average viewer' just prefers to watch a decent drama, which, if it was done as well as the original series, would stand on its own merits without the need for comparison with some old Greek tragedy or whatever.
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Maybe your so-called 'average viewer' just prefers to watch a decent drama, which, if it was done as well as the original series, would stand on its own merits without the need for comparison with some old Greek tragedy or whatever.

Quite. If there were any intended references, and maybe there were (after all what was the horse theme and the Furies Gavin mentioned, sadly lost etc. :D all about?) then I'm not surprised that the name Cassandra was chosen over Clytemnestra. :p