Bad song choices for some singers are an issue

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
Some singers sounded bland, because they needed a song they can give oomph to.

Heres how it should be done for some of them, although I'm not sure if they would be able to sing less popular songs from the charts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8unB8B1jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXDF1mVs06s

Comments

• mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    it was so depressing to see the song list for tonights show and have "natural woman", "i will always love you" and "i am telling you" all on it

three songs that have just been done to death
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadly these young, often low intelligence, girls have no taste or exposure to a half decent choice. at best they draw on capital extra or heart playlists
  • TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    it was so depressing to see the song list for tonights show and have "natural woman", "i will always love you" and "i am telling you all on it"

I completely agree, no originality at all.....!
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was so depressing to see the song list for tonights show and have "natural woman", "i will always love you" and "i am telling you all on it"

I know. We should devise a drinking game for XF cliché bingo.

One shot for each of the divorcee karaoke power ballads someone screeches out.
    One shot for every time Cowell says 'I didn't like that................'
    One shot for Cheryl saying 'I thoroughly enjoyed that'

And a whole effing bottle if they wheel Louis Walsh out for the lives
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I know. We should devise a drinking game for XF cliché bingo.

One shot for each of the divorcee karaoke power ballads someone screeches out.
    One shot for every time Cowell says 'I didn't like that................'
    One shot for Cheryl saying 'I thoroughly enjoyed that'

And a whole effing bottle if they wheel Louis Walsh out for the lives

as long as we dont have to drink for a gormless look on grimshaw's face or a blank one on rita's. i dont think my liver could handle all those shots.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as long as we dont have to drink for a gormless look on grimshaw's face or a blank one on rita's. i dont think my liver could handle all those shots.

Think we'd both be face down in the gutter by now if we play by those rules :p

How about a shot for forums clichés? ;-)
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was so depressing to see the song list for tonights show and have "natural woman", "i will always love you" and "i am telling you" all on it

I was disappointed with these choices as well. It felt like the girls were pandering to the viewers and that horrible audience.

Plus, I don't care how popular it is - I hate 'and I'm telling you' with a burning passion >:(
  • Jason_DifferJason_Differ Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I am glad someone sand 'Let it go' as at least it was a different thing and something new also the song that Lauren (I think) sang was a good choice
  • LiamOKLiamOK Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was so bloody draining and predictable. They need new songs now. From any era, any genre, any person, band, etc. Just stop repeating the same old crap that has already been murdered year after year on this show.
  • Skyler_WrightSkyler_Wright Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing new, I say the same to "established a list pop stars". too.

Last week on bootcamp Simon said he did not like Kiera's voice.

Now today he stood up and clapped for her saying she is amazing.
    Forum Member
    Nothing new, I say the same to "established a list pop stars". too.

Last week on bootcamp Simon said he did not like Kiera's voice.

Now today he stood up and clapped for her saying she is amazing.

and this is the same simon who will criticise acts for singing dated songs and that performance tonight was straight out of the mid 80s
  • TomStarTomStar Posts: 2,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the old Simon Cowell who used to be far more critical of song choices and outfits etc now he simply churns out the same old cliches....
  • HughOSHughOS Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am unable to believe that those song choices were the contestants own. Just so cliched and overdone. If the girls really did pick those songs as their own then it really calls into question their levels of taste and strategy for the show.
  • abraaom1abraaom1 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Charli would be through if her song choice was better than Love You I Do.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all comes back to the producers and their severe lack of creativity and laziness to broaden their song catalogue.
  • Rachel_HarrisonRachel_Harrison Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I refuse to badmouth the contestants until I know how the song selection process worked.

Was there a list? How extensive was it? Were all of them given their first choices? Were there any song clearance issues?
  • greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    sadly these young, often low intelligence, girls have no taste or exposure to a half decent choice. at best they draw on capital extra or heart playlists

Their told what to sing they don't have much say in the matter even the most intelligent can't win that argument with the Cowell crew
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is probably why the more talented vocalists are appearing on The Voice with increasing numbers.

The Cowell crew has no say on that at least.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am fearing dated songs is going to be a big issue this year.

It was bad last year , it was horrendous the Sam Bailey year

I think the problem is that what is left of the voting audience like the dated ballads Whitney etc as a lot of the young people have deserted the show.

This is a key year as if it's yet another bad winner I can see the show being rested.

Cowell will pull out all the stops to get Louisa as the winner although this could backfire
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    Louisa won't win. There was all speculation over Fleur being pimped throughout the live shows last year but in the end it was Ben who won - and I predicted his victory the week he sang Thinking Out Loud. Performing the same song with Ed Sheeran in the final sealed the deal. Fleur was never going to win last year.

Simon can do all he wants to artificially dictate what the public wants but with teenage girls and bored housewives mainly voting on these shows, I'm almost sure that a bland male will (once again) win X Factor. So it'll either be one of Nick's acts in the boys category, or one of Simon's "male" acts in the overs category winning. That's my prediction anyways.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!! (and this is coming from someone who actually rates Seann Mikey very highly, but I don't want him to win as he'll be much better off coming 2nd, 3rd, etc... then doing his own thing without the shackles of SYCO attached to his feet).
  • dizziedizzie Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of song choice, yes there were a lot of terribly overdone, trite ones, but I was genuinely fascinated by Monica singing 'What Is Love' from the TV show Empire. Very unusual to see a song written purely for a TV show to become a song that is covered by XF acts. I think it's a fantastic track - and I've no doubt that Simon's relationship with Fox is partially the reason that particular number was on the list of allowed songs - but it's not something I can easily see producers of XF pushing, because it's not even a little bit familiar to the audience (and unlikely to be to most of the contestants, unless they're Empire fans - 2nd season starts tonight BTW!!).

I wouldn't mind seeing one or two more contestants doing some of the excellent Empire songs - all written and produced by Timbaland. 'No Apologies', especially, is an amazing track.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    If there is an older dad without much interest in the show in the room reading his paper of whatever, hearing a brilliant song from his earlier years that he enjoyed sang well, could be enough to ignite some interest in the series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    The contestants are giving so many songs to rehearse. Then they pick which one they want to sing. Ultimately it's down to the producers etc. what they sing and can change that at the last minute. Hence the forgetting the words looking drab. Can't upstage the chosen ones, or they are just airbrushed from the whole process. Even the clothes they wear are dancing are dictated. So most these contestants are not auditioning in real terms of what an audition is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately that is true, I read somewhere that Katie Colman was told to change her song at the last minute, which of course would make a difference to how confident she sung it. The producers can get contestants to dress up, dress down, move, not move, then even criticise them for doing a song that is too big, or not suited, not having the right look etc even as contestants go on the judges initial reactions heavily influence the ( often naive and easily swayed) audience. Most people who attend are not cynical like members of this forum. 😜