Options

Who cares whether Obama has dark skin?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What a nutty world. Most of us PAY to have a dark tan.

The world is crazy.:confused:

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll always find some bitter tisted tossers who will be offended by anything ... it's just the world we live in :(

I'm as white as a ghost, ffs, really p*sses me off:o
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this really a topic for discussion ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »

seems important to loose_change
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you think?

Would you like a good tan?

I know I would :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    His skin colour shouldn't be relevant in whether he wins, no. Nor should McCain's. The election should be fought and won on policies alone.
    It probably won't be though.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apparently it is, and not because of the OP either.

I was chatting to a friend's American mother-in-law when we took our kids out together, I just idley went "go on then, McCain or Obama?". She's from the deep south, so I expected a "McCain" reply. "Neither" she said, "besides, I don't think America's ready for a black president. Some lunatic will kill him".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Apparently it is, and not because of the OP either.

I was chatting to a friend's American mother-in-law when we took our kids out together, I just idley went "go on then, McCain or Obama?". She's from the deep south, so I expected a "McCain" reply. "Neither" she said, "besides, I don't think America's ready for a black president. Some lunatic will kill him".

That is the sad truth of the whole matter :(
  • Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely any President would be under threat, regardless of colour? (the obvious one is JFK, but didn't Reagan nearly lose his life as well?).

Yes, it's (unfortunately) probable that the chance of being killed increases with the 'wrong' colour of skin, but as history has shown, colour is not the determining factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squidsin wrote: »
    His skin colour shouldn't be relevant in whether he wins, no. Nor should McCain's. The election should be fought and won on policies alone.
    It probably won't be though.

America is one of the few countries in the world where winning a political debate can be a negative thing in the polls, so it certainly won't be fought on the basis of policies.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    The problem is that a lot of middle America care about the colour of skin and therefore sadly it is a problem.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think his father might care. Imagine what would have happened if he had dropped out of his mother totally white.
  • Options
    coshamcosham Posts: 5,875
    Forum Member
    No but it will be a factor for some, when casting their vote.
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares....cue West Virgina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1x81XODP-o&feature=related&fmt=18

Now whether it's representative is a different thing but it's still funny/worrying depending on how you want to look at it.
  • Options
    madcapmonstermadcapmonster Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I care about his skin colour a great deal, to me it is not important in the slightest his skin colour, coming from a mixed race family it would be fairly stupid to think otherwise. The reason I care for his skin colour it that the Democrats have been so busy patting themselves on the back about having a black candidate that they have forgotten that this is a election for the presidency of the US and it is not only Democrats that get to vote. If you look at the results from the primaries it was Hillary that won the big states, the ones that matter. In there pride they have missed the point and I think that it will be yet anther Republican in the white house soon.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obama obviously does - he wouldn't have had the charmed life he has lived if he didn't.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People do care. It's his skin colour that is symbolic not his policies, they are not especially different from any of the others running in the primaries. When John Edwards endorsed him the first thing he said in his first interview was that it was time America had a black president and that would make all democracts proud. He did not say it was because it was time America had free health care or something like that.

I find it interesting because Obama is not the son of a black American but a white American. He is the son of a black African and the slavery and civil rights story of African Americans is not actually part of his own heritage. His father was a student in America who subsequently left and went home. Yet a lot of African Americans associate Obama with that struggle. He has not personally experienced it. Hillary Clinton has probably faced as much prejudice in the USA because she is a woman as much as Barrack Obama has because he is mixed race.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's sad, but certain people do care, and i feel sorry for the small-minded fools, this is the 21st century, GET OVER IT! what does it matter the colour of his skin?
    as some people mentioned above, there is a chance some nutjob will try to kill him, but god i hope not, i'd like to think that we as a race have moved on since those days.
    c'mon obama!
  • Options
    madcapmonstermadcapmonster Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obama obviously does - he wouldn't have had the charmed life he has lived if he didn't.

Did I not see somewhere that he is a half caste (not sure if that is the right statement, if not I do not mean to offend), so why is he defined as black?
  • Options
    DS9DS9 Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Did I not see somewhere that he is a half caste (not sure if that is the right statement, if not I do not mean to offend), so why is he defined as black?

I asked that of some Americans on another forum I visit. Basically, it comes from history when America didn't have its own culture or identity. People would adopt the culture from where their families came from, hence the terms 'Irish-American', Italian-American', 'African-American ect.

The mixed-race thing is related to that. Mixed-race children are expected to choose one half over the other as part of their identity. And when you have dark skin you really don't get a choice. Everyone else decides you're 'African-American' for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    I asked that of some Americans on another forum I visit. Basically, it comes from history when America didn't have its own culture or identity. People would adopt the culture from where their families came from, hence the terms 'Irish-American', Italian-American', 'African-American ect.

The mixed-race thing is related to that. Mixed-race children are expected to choose one half over the other as part of their identity. And when you have dark skin you really don't get a choice. Everyone else decides you're 'African-American' for you.

I'd say it's even a bit simpler than that. Groups who have been discriminated against are usually defined by how they differ from "normal people" and in that instance any small deviation from normality is enough to result in that person being deemed abnormal. That's why a man who has sex with a hundred women and one man often goes down in society's eyes as "gay" and why a person of "mixed race" (meaningless term if ever there was one) is usually deemed "black" or "African-American", but never "white" or "caucasian".

That's one of the main reasons why I resent the idea of homosexuality. The term takes its whole meaning from the desire to marginalise a group of people and there's very little basis for making this separation once you remove the prejudice aspect. We don't split people up into distinct groups with respects to their preferences for food, or music, or art, so why do we do it with sexual preferences?
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Democrats seem to care, they wouldn't flippin bring it up everytime otherwise.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Generally, in America there is no shades of grey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Democrats seem to care, they wouldn't flippin bring it up everytime otherwise.

Well to be fair, it is very much a first time ever kind of deal. If he gets elected, he'll be the first non-white person to lead the biggest country in the world. Considering it hasn't been 45 years since the Civil Rights bill signed by JFK in the USA to stop segregation (and 40 years since the second version signed by LBJ), they've come a long way in a short time!
  • Options
    SharpshooterTomSharpshooterTom Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well to be fair, it is very much a first time ever kind of deal. If he gets elected, he'll be the first non-white person to lead the biggest country in the world. Considering it hasn't been 45 years since the Civil Rights bill in the USA, they've come a long way in a short time!

Yes well the world's gone like that in general which is one great step we've taken through the 21st century.

But I just find in general that it's the democrats who appear to bring up issues of race more than the republicans do. It's almost like they boast they've got a black candidate, which is wrong in itself obviously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes well the world's gone like that in general which is one great step we've taken through the 21st century.

But I just find in general that it's the democrats who appear to bring up issues of race more than the republicans do. It's almost like they boast they've got a black candidate, which is wrong in itself obviously.

It'll stop to almost nothing now.
    The fact that it was 45 years to the day since the I Have A Dream speech cannot possibly be ignored, on the day that a "black" man makes history in becoming the first black presidential nominee officially. Of course, the Dems picked that date on purpose, but still. It is historical, but from no one it'll become a back burner issue unless a Republican makes a faux pas somewhere down the line.