Any work being done at Emley Moor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
Forum Member
My grandad phoned me last night to say he rescanned to get drama but since then he gets 'poor/no signal' notice on bbc1,bbc2,bbc news.

i cant see how a retune could do this and told him itll prob return once it cools down (just to stop him nagging and nattering to my nana). Any work being done at emley that could cause this?

thanks guys

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    There's been high pressure for the last few days, and it's causing chaos with reception, as it does at this time almost every year.

If he's retuned while it's duff, he will probably have lost all the channels, so will have to retune again once it's back to normal.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be that when he retuned, the box picked up a more distant BBC Mux due to the conditions and stored that it in 1, 2, 80 etc. The Emley Moor version may be available to him with channel numbers up in the 800s.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been high pressure for the last few days, and it's causing chaos with reception, as it does at this time almost every year.

If he's retuned while it's duff, he will probably have lost all the channels, so will have to retune again once it's back to normal.
    This.

Plus there is a chance that a more distant transmitter that normally is below the detection threshold of the TV/STB is now just about poking it's head above the parapet (so to speak) and is beeing seen before the Emley Moor frequencies.

So the TV/STB assigns those services to the "correct" channel numbers and the Emley Moor services could be up in the 800s.

If that is the case then a manual tune feeding in the UHF channel numbers for the Emley Moor muxes might sort the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    Ta guys, ill pop round tonight and give it a look and see if i can sort it
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manually scanning channels 44, 47, 48, 51 and 52 should fix it for the SD multiplexes plus 41 if it has a HD tuner. I sometimes have this problem with one of the TVs upstairs, it will scan and use the channels from Belmont, but the aerial isn't positioned to give good reception from that site.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,726
    Forum Member
    Ta guys for the advice, looks asif it had picked another transmitter up in the warm weather and stuck it on the normal numbers, emley moor ones were in 800's, i rescanned for him and set his Sony tv from east Yorkshire to yorkshire

alls fine now and my nanas happy hes not moaning in her ear :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ta guys for the advice, looks asif it had picked another transmitter up in the warm weather and stuck it on the normal numbers, emley moor ones were in 800's, i rescanned for him and set his Sony tv from east Yorkshire to yorkshire

alls fine now and my nanas happy hes not moaning in her ear :D

The old problem of Belmont powering in. :)
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Rescanning for Drama during present conditions has caused lots of issues. A friend nearby in south east London said he was now getting Anglia ITV. He can get London ITV on 801 from a local Freeview light TX but will have to wait until the weather changes to rescan. We all thought digital TV would solve the Summer atmospherics issues but actually it's made it a lot more complicated especially when we need to rescan to get new channels.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    Rescanning for Drama during present conditions has caused lots of issues. A friend nearby in south east London said he was now getting Anglia ITV. He can get London ITV on 801 from a local Freeview light TX but will have to wait until the weather changes to rescan. We all thought digital TV would solve the Summer atmospherics issues but actually it's made it a lot more complicated especially when we need to rescan to get new channels.

Bit of a bummer having a rescan to do during skip conditions :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He won't necessarily have to wait to rescan. Just use the manual tune option, which many TVs and STBs have. As long as you know the transmitter and hence the UHF channel numbers to use. If you don't know what they are stick your postcode into the checker on the Digital UK website (http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/) and click Detailed View.

That should show the transmitter and channel numbers required. Using those you tell the TV what to do rather than let it cock it all up by itself :)

The alternative is to buy a telly that adds new channels silently in the background without you having to do anything. Which is what my LG did when Drama started up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    He won't necessarily have to wait to rescan. Just use the manual tune option, which many TVs and STBs have.

I always manually scan for minor changes, a full rescan invariably messes something up on one or other of my TVs/PVRs.